Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2016, 01:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Autofocus inaccurate in lowlight on the K30

Hello to all!

I am having a bit of trouble with the autofocus on the K-30 in low light conditions (mainly indoors, picture of my daughter in the evening). Using the DA35 (which I love so far!) at widest aperture (f2.4), the AF is struggling a lot to catch the subject in focus (and I miss a lot of shots because of that). I know it might be a difficult situation for the AF anyway, and I am pretty sure the camera and the lens works fine (I have no real issue in daylight). So my question is: is this the normal behaviour for the K-30? Or is it just me who is not good enough? Would another (better) model like the K-3 make a huge difference in respect to AF? I have read several times that Pentax camera are not as good as their competitor AF-wise, so oculd my issue be due to the limit of Pentax AF system?

Thanks a lot for your answer!

11-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aljech Quote
Hello to all!

I am having a bit of trouble with the autofocus on the K-30 in low light conditions (mainly indoors, picture of my daughter in the evening). Using the DA35 (which I love so far!) at widest aperture (f2.4), the AF is struggling a lot to catch the subject in focus (and I miss a lot of shots because of that). I know it might be a difficult situation for the AF anyway, and I am pretty sure the camera and the lens works fine (I have no real issue in daylight). So my question is: is this the normal behaviour for the K-30? Or is it just me who is not good enough? Would another (better) model like the K-3 make a huge difference in respect to AF? I have read several times that Pentax camera are not as good as their competitor AF-wise, so oculd my issue be due to the limit of Pentax AF system?

Yeah, the K-5 II (or newer in the flagship line) or the K-S2 (or newer in the consumer line) bring much better low-light performance with two additional stops of sensitivity. It's one of the few areas in which Pentax AF is actually quite competitive See this test for some insight:

Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The AF in the K-5 corresponds roughly to what's in the K-30, while the K-5 II's sensitivity is the same as in the newer models.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2016, 04:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
I guess I will feel the difference the day I go to some newer model. But I am keeping my K-30 as long as it can shoot - I love it so much
Thanks for your answer!
11-24-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
Oricman

Are you using the focus assist light?

11-24-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hello to all!

Using the 18-135mm lens, my K-30 has accurately auto-focused in light so dim I have to use LV to see well enough to frame the picture; I don't take large numbers of pictures like that, but my system has never let me down. I'm not sure whether using LV helps the AF or not {and using it is awkward, which is one of the reasons I really wish Pentax would produce an MILC + EVF version of this system}; these are static situations {such as a car on display or a cat taking a nap}, so the system could hunt if it needed to, but I don't recall much delay between my pressing the button and the K-30 taking the picture.
11-25-2016, 12:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
Yes I do. It helps sometimes but it makes no magic for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Using the 18-135mm lens, my K-30 has accurately auto-focused in light so dim I have to use LV to see well enough to frame the picture; I don't take large numbers of pictures like that, but my system has never let me down. I'm not sure whether using LV helps the AF or not {and using it is awkward, which is one of the reasons I really wish Pentax would produce an MILC + EVF version of this system}; these are static situations {such as a car on display or a cat taking a nap}, so the system could hunt if it needed to, but I don't recall much delay between my pressing the button and the K-30 taking the picture.
But if you use liveview, it means you are using contrast detection AF, which is not my case, correct? So the 2 situations (and hence the results) are different I think.

Thank you both for your contributions!
11-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #7
Oricman

My K30 can struggle in low light, but many cameras do. How is it in manual focus? i.e. if it is focused does the green light come on in the viewfinder to show it is in focus? Can you take a picture in manual focus?

11-25-2016, 07:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes I do. It helps sometimes but it makes no magic for me.
Then, if you don't already have one, you could get an external flash with a AF beam. With one of these, your K-30 will AF rapidly and accurately even in very low light. In addition, if you're doing a lot of low light portraiture, getting a flash and learning how to use it will have a huge impact on the overall quality of your portraits. Much more, and cheaper too, than just upgrading your K-30 to a newer body.
11-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

But if you use liveview, it means you are using contrast detection AF, which is not my case, correct? So the 2 situations (and hence the results) are different I think.
Using LV should be an option in your "low light" situations.
11-28-2016, 12:51 AM   #10

Original Poster
I think I am just asking too much to my camera It can't do magic when light is an issue.
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Then, if you don't already have one, you could get an external flash with a AF beam. With one of these, your K-30 will AF rapidly and accurately even in very low light. In addition, if you're doing a lot of low light portraiture, getting a flash and learning how to use it will have a huge impact on the overall quality of your portraits. Much more, and cheaper too, than just upgrading your K-30 to a newer body.
I did not know about this. I am not a big fan of flashes but I think it is because I never had a real good one. I should think about it for sure.
My K30 can struggle in low light, but many cameras do. How is it in manual focus? i.e. if it is focused does the green light come on in the viewfinder to show it is in focus? Can you take a picture in manual focus?
Manual focus is fine, but I am terrible at it. I try to practice, but unfortunately my eyes are not that good.
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Using LV should be an option in your "low light" situations.
Indeed, that is a (good) option. It is just a bit slow some time, but again, maybe I am just asking too much

Thanks all for your answer. A nice forum, with lots of helpful people!
11-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I did not know about this. I am not a big fan of flashes but I think it is because I never had a real good one. I should think about it for sure.
If you don't want to use the flash as a source of light, most flashes allow you to set them in "AF beam only" mode. In this mode, the main flash doesn't fire but the AF beam is active to help the camera. This AF beam is much more efficient than the AF light on the camera, at least in my experience. Noit only it's more powerful, but instead of just lighting the subject, it rather projects a grid pattern that makes it really easy for the AF system to lock on. Just be sure to get a flash that has this option (some cheap flashes don't have a spot beam and some other don't allow you to disable the main flash).

EDIT: I'm not sure the latest Pentax flahes (360 and 540 version II) still have this red grid spot beam. I think it has been replaced by a white LED illuminating the scene. I don't know how good this works, but it's certainly more intrusive than the red spotbeam which is often barely visible unless you look for it.

Last edited by CarlJF; 11-28-2016 at 08:07 AM.
11-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
If you don't want to use the flash as a source of light, most flashes allow you to set them in "AF beam only" mode. In this mode, the main flash doesn't fire but the AF beam is active to help the camera. This AF beam is much more efficient than the AF light on the camera, at least in my experience. Noit only it's more powerful, but instead of just lighting the subject, it rather projects a grid pattern that makes it really easy for the AF system to lock on. Just be sure to get a flash that has this option (some cheap flashes don't have a spot beam and some other don't allow you to disable the main flash).

EDIT: I'm not sure the latest Pentax flahes (360 and 540 version II) still have this red grid spot beam. I think it has been replaced by a white LED illuminating the scene. I don't know how good this works, but it's certainly more intrusive than the red spotbeam which is often barely visible unless you look for it.
Thanks a lot Carl, I have learn something today!!!!