Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zoom in/out while shooting video

I may be missing something in the manual, but when I am in video mode and I'm slowly zooming in or out on the subjects, the autofocus doesn't seem to be readjusting and the subjects become unfocused & blurry. Should I have the K-50 focus mode switch in the AF.C mode when I'm doing this, versus AF.S? Is there anything else I need to set when I am zooming during a video to keep it continually reacquiring focus? All i see in the manual refers to stills.
Thanks

11-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
I may be missing something in the manual, but when I am in video mode and I'm slowly zooming in or out on the subjects, the autofocus doesn't seem to be readjusting and the subjects become unfocused & blurry. Should I have the K-50 focus mode switch in the AF.C mode when I'm doing this, versus AF.S? Is there anything else I need to set when I am zooming during a video to keep it continually reacquiring focus? All i see in the manual refers to stills.
Thanks
You either need to hold down the AF button when you want the camera to autofocus, or pull your focus manually as you zoom. I recommend the latter. It comes naturally with practice, and works silently and smoothly with any lens.
11-25-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, that's right. There is no continuous AF

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
f22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, that's right. There is no continuous AF
Thank you Adam. Do you know if the K-70 or K-1, or any other Pentax models do support continuous autofocus of subject's during movie mode when performing a push-in or push-out (zooming)?

I don't shoot a lot of video, but that seems like a valuable feature; zoom in in/out adds to the "interest factor" in video's.

Thanks

12-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
Thank you Adam. Do you know if the K-70 or K-1, or any other Pentax models do support continuous autofocus of subject's during movie mode when performing a push-in or push-out (zooming)?

I don't shoot a lot of video, but that seems like a valuable feature; zoom in in/out adds to the "interest factor" in video's.

Thanks
The K-70 does, when paired with a DC or PLM lens. The implementation is far from impressive, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: