Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K30 died - upgrade or repair?

Hi everyone! Been a while since ive posted but been a happy Pentax owner for the past 4 years or so. Started with a kr then after it was 'borrowed' forever by someone who didnt ask I went with a k30 and have been very happy with it since.
Over the past 2 or 3 weeks I have noticed images are coming in darker and darker and now even with iso maxed and 2 second exposures im getting black images.
Did the full cleaning recommended and all the tricks mentioned by other posters but I think i may have fallen victim to the block failure - of course out of warranty.
That being said I was looking at repair or replacement and figure its not 'too much more' to go for an upgrade.
What do you all recommend? Mostly photograph kids, pets, cars, nature, street photography etc. Would love to sell a photo here and there but content being an enthusiast also haha.
Been eyeing the K-3ii but not sure. Would like to stay under a grand usd for the body.
Thanks in advance!
Dave

11-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Aperture failure... quite common unfortunately...

If I were you I'd upgrade.
Maybe a K-3.
Or used K-5, then you can spend what you saved on lenses!
11-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When my K-30 dies, or perhaps even before, I plan to get a K-70. Admittedly, part of my issue is appearance - some of the pictures I take involve persons I don't know, and I don't want the presence of my camera to change what they are doing, so I don't want a stealth all black camera that looks all professional. However, reports also seem to indicate that the K-70's high-ISO capabilities are for real, and I also find that to be attractive. I also find the new KAF4 mount to be attractive, but they may extend that capability to K-5's, so I wouldn't buy any camera based on that right now.
11-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The K-5 series still has the best battery life and dxo score (thanks to its iso80 setting). The II variants were the first ones to add extra AF precision for f/2.8-speed lenses. If you like video the older Motion-JPEG format is used though.

Newer bodies add pixels AF+hold .264 video compression and a few other nice features. The K-5 is a very refined cousin of the K-30 with the same sensor but put together more tightly, and no aperture block issues that I know of.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 11-27-2016 at 06:50 PM.
11-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Used K-5 series cameras are available for well under a grand, that would be my first choice. I've seen some K-3's on PF for a good price as well.
11-27-2016, 06:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Admittedly, part of my issue is appearance - some of the pictures I take involve persons I don't know, and I don't want the presence of my camera to change what they are doing, so I don't want a stealth all black camera that looks all professional.
Could you tell me more? I had a white K-x that struck up so many conversations, then my red K-30 that struck many conversations, and I find my black K-1 with the D-FA 70-200 strikes up many conversations, too. If I needed a stealthier appearence, I'd lose the grip and stick my silver 43mm on it.
11-27-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have been unlucky with the theft of the K-r and the aperture block failure in the K-30. Time for a change in fortunes!

Plenty of upgrade options within budget: another K-30/K-50, K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis, K-S1, K-S2, K-70, K-3 or K3ii. The comparison tool is a handy start for comparing these models: Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

As Bertwert says, the less you spend on the body, the more is available for lenses. If you want to buy new, you can rule out K-30, K-50, K-5 series - any old new stock of those models is generally ridiculously overpriced.

To sift through the various options, you need to work out what features are essential to you. WR? Strike out the K-S1. Two control wheels? Again, strike out the K-S1. No anti-aliasing filter? Strike out K-30/K-50, K-5 and K-5ii. Articulating screen? Strike out all but K-S2 and K-70. Popup flash? Strike out K-3ii. Popup flash with wireless controller? Rules out K-S1, K-S2, K-70, K-3ii. Built in Wifi? Strike out all but K-S2, K-70 and K-3ii. 20 megapixel sensor or more? Strike out K-30, K-50 and K-5 series. 24 megapixel sensor? Strike out all but K-70, K-3 and K-3ii.

At some point there will be a choice to make between a consumer model and a flagship model (e.g. K-50 v K-5, K-70 v K-3ii). As a general rule, for similar money you get more gizmos with the consumer model (e.g. an articulating screen on the K-S2 and K-70, which is not available on the K-3 series) but more durablility with the flagship. Durability comes at the cost of greater weight; the extra heft is good for heavier lenses, but not so good for travel and carrying around. The flagship models (K-5 series and K-3 series) use the larger DLi90 batteries, which provide more power; those models can also be used with a grip. And the flagship models have many small things that make for a more pleasant user experience - like more buttons, better dust control, quiet shutter, better AF, better AWB metering, top LCD, and so on.

Again as a general rule the flagship models are a safer used buy: for example, AFAIK, the K-5 never had the aperture block problem of the K-30/K-50. The flagships can take a harder life better.

To my mind the value buy at present is a used K-3 at around $US500-600. But if you can find a K-3ii for only a little more, that's a great buy too.

Going from a K-30 to a K-3 was a big upgrade. I have got used to the extra weight, and it's good for telephoto lenses anyway. The AF is much better, metering is better, the ergonomics are much better (even the dials are easier to turn), the extra pixels are great for cropping, and the resolution is outstanding. The shutter makes a quiet and satisfying sound after the CLUNK of the K-30. Dust control is much better. It's a much more advanced camera. The flippy screen would be handy, wifi would be handy, but neither is a deal-breaker for me. YMMV.

Then again I've just ordered a new K-S2 as my second camera (to replace the K-30), as a lighter carry-around option (an excellent Black Friday bargain at $A592 - about $US440 - ie around the price of a used K-5iis). Maybe I'll find the wifi and flippy screen ARE indispensible! (More likely, I'll miss the feel and AF performance of the K-3 when using the K-S2.)

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The II variants were the first ones to add extra AF precision for f/2.8-speed lenses.
Same AF system is now used in the K-S2 and K-70.

---------- Post added 11-28-16 at 12:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I had a white K-x that struck up so many conversations, then my red K-30 that struck many conversations, and I find my black K-1 with the D-FA 70-200 strikes up many conversations, too.
Pity Pentax is going the Henry Ford route: you can have any colour you like, so long as it's black.

Last edited by Des; 11-27-2016 at 06:48 PM.
11-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Henry Ford route: you can have any colour you like, so long as it's black.
Hmm. Perhaps. I lamented the lack of colour in my K-1 until it arrived. I still have colour, in my silver princesses, in my Peak Design Slide straps, both red and blue, and the D-FA* zoom has a nice green ring and gold accents. There's colour, it's just more subtle. If I had upgraded from my K-30 to the L-70 instead though, I think the choice of either black or grey would have been more disappointing. It may also lose Pentax beginning photographers, as I know colour drew me to the system, at least in part.
11-27-2016, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Holy wow Des you are a wealth of information! I think you answered just about every question I had!
I am all about the end result - heck my first few cars didnt even have automatic windows but they got me from A to B haha!
I agree, while the Wifi, GPS and screen could be 'cool' I don't think they would be a deal breaker.
I do find myself using the remote control 'clicker' for taking family shots more often than before but again not a 'deal breaker' ( can always set the timer and make the jog haha ).
I think I am leaning a bit closer to the K3 or K3ii - the major differences I can identify on the two are the built in flash vs gps/star tail feature with about a 50-75 usd difference.
Again - thank you Des and everyone for your comments and assistance - I am a firm believer that a slow and careful decision is one that can last ( little over 4 years on the one although only ~11,000 actuations ).
Dave
11-27-2016, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Could you tell me more? I had a white K-x that struck up so many conversations, then my red K-30 that struck many conversations, and I find my black K-1 with the D-FA 70-200 strikes up many conversations, too. If I needed a stealthier appearence, I'd lose the grip and stick my silver 43mm on it.
I don't want to strike up conversations; I want people to glance in my direction, then write me off as a goofy old guy with a goofy camera and go back to whatever they were doing. Back when I had my Pentax Super Program, it looked like many serious SLR's of the time {chrome surrounded by black}; then I got a couple of Canon cameras, each in the now-obligatory black stealth design pioneered by the Canon T-90. On occasion someone would ask my wife "who's he with?", or would want me to be sure to understand that he expected to get a share of whatever I got for photographing him or his possessions. Regardless of the reasonableness of these comments, my professional-looking camera was attracting way too much attention.

I took the picture below during a "smoking break" when I rode a train from Chicago to Los Angeles. I took my bright yellow Q-7 along because I was limiting my luggage, but I'm guessing I benefited in this case because no one would take that camera seriously

Last edited by reh321; 11-27-2016 at 09:46 PM. Reason: add question mark to quoted question
11-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #11
KDD
Veteran Member

Check Shutter Life.
11-27-2016, 09:30 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
Check Shutter Life.
200,000 for the K-3/K-3ii. Unstated for the K-70/K-S2. Previous generation consumer models were rated for 100,000 - probably the same for K-S2 and K-70.

Dave's talking about 11,000 actuations in 4 years - so it probably isn't an issue. The camera will likely become redundant or die of other causes before the shutter wears out. But the greater life expectancy of the flagship models is one reason why they hold their value better.
11-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #13
Forum Member

Craigslist has a couple decent deals right now around here in the STL. white K-30 in union for $350, new K-50 for $500, a little high to me considering I got the two lens kit for that, or a K5 complete setup with some nice lenses for 2K that's been up for a while so a good cash offer could possibly get it. I'll quote text from add:
(5 x Pentax K (KA/KAF/KAF2) mount lenses
*100 - 300mm telephoto lens
*16 - 45mm Pentax smc DA f/4
*50-200mm Pentax smc DA f/4-5.6 ED WR
*55mm Pentax smc DA* f/1.4 SDM
*18-55mm Pentax smc DA f/3.5-5.6 AL WR

Pentax Battery Grip D-BG4
Pentax IR remote f
Pentax Flash
Carbon fiber tripod new in box with carrying bag
Original boxes, manuals, bags, covers
Backpack for carrying gear

Again I dont know if you have to have new but there are other options. Good luck in your search.
11-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StLDave Quote
my first few cars didnt even have automatic windows but they got me from A to B haha!
My first car had "three on the tree" manual transmission, drum brakes, a choke, leaf springs, no power steering, and handled like a shopping trolley. It's only luck that I'm around to talk about it.

(Waiting for someone to top that - like the Yorkshiremen in the Monty Python sketch. ;-) )

We are so spoilt with cameras. What you can buy now for $500-700 in Pentax is amazing. Provided you aren't particular about video.

I do find myself using the remote control 'clicker' for taking family shots more often than before but again not a 'deal breaker'
Wifi or infrared remote. Selfie screen would be handy (K-S2 or K-70). But if it's not a deal breaker .... K-3/K-3ii.

I think I am leaning a bit closer to the K3 or K3ii - the major differences I can identify on the two are the built in flash vs gps/star tail feature with about a 50-75 usd difference.
And pixel shift on the K-3ii. And the shake reduction on the K-3ii is rated for 4.5 stops, compared with 3.5 on the K-3.

Some people like the popup flash on the K-3 as a wireless flash controller. I like the popup for wildlife with this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/256288...-extender.html

With the recent firmware update to the K-3, either model can now use KAF4 lenses (the only one at present is the DA 55-300 PLM).

Last edited by Des; 11-27-2016 at 10:04 PM.
11-28-2016, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That being said I was looking at repair or replacement and figure its not 'too much more' to go for an upgrade.
What do you all recommend?
Been eyeing the K-3ii but not sure. Would like to stay under a grand usd for the body.
Dave
Dave,
a) Are you emotionally attached to your K30?
b) Does your K30 hold you back in any technical way?
c) Repairing your K30 is the least expensive solution, but the cost of a K3II is excellent.
d) The normal replacement and a technical upgrade for a K30 would be the KS2.
e) A true upgrade to a midlevel model would be the K70.
f) Can you live without a built-in flash on the K3II? If not, you may still find a K3 on the market.

My hunch is that if I wasnʻt sure, I wasnʻt ready. Iʻd fix the K30 and when I knew for sure I had to have a better model, Iʻd sell the K30.