Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Dead K-50

Went to use my K-50 last night and it did not turn on so I recharged the battery. This morning, still dead.

Tried all of these steps.

Battery is fully charged.
Battery door shut properly
Memory card door shut properly
Tried with and without a card
Tried different cards
Removed lens and tried to start

Any other ideas....?

12-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe try a different battery or if you the adapter try triple A batteries. Hopefully it's just the battery that's dead and not the camera.
12-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Maybe try a different battery or if you the adapter try triple A batteries. Hopefully it's just the battery that's dead and not the camera.
Unfortunately, I do not have either...
12-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be worth cleaning the battery's contacts if you haven't done so. Even if they look clean, a little bit or dirt can compromise the connection. Also clean the contacts in the battery compartment if you can reach them, using a cotton bud with isopropyl alcohol if you have those to hand.

12-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It would be worth cleaning the battery's contacts if you haven't done so. Even if they look clean, a little bit or dirt can compromise the connection. Also clean the contacts in the battery compartment if you can reach them, using a cotton bud with isopropyl alcohol if you have those to hand.
I ordered a new AA battery holder just now. So hopefully that will help. I do use a Eye-Fi card and I am wondering if it slowly discharged the battery to the point it cannot hold a charge. But as a cap to my year, my multi-meter died last week, so I cannot test the output.

Anyhow, the camera is pretty new and I just purchased this September. I could try swabbing the contacts, but if they are dirty..I would be surprised as I only changed out the battery a few times.....I mean, very little use.

So if the battery holder does not work, I'll get it serviced.
12-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

When you charged the battery did you have it plugged directly into the socket or did you have the charger plugged into a power strip surge protector? I have had problems when using a surge protector getting a good charge. Also are you charging the battery until the green light goes out? I ask because it's easy to see a green light and think it's good to go.
12-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
When you charged the battery did you have it plugged directly into the socket or did you have the charger plugged into a power strip surge protector? I have had problems when using a surge protector getting a good charge. Also are you charging the battery until the green light goes out? I ask because it's easy to see a green light and think it's good to go.
Straight into a wall socket. The first charge it was left it in all night until the light went out. When it did not start I popped it back in the charger and the light went out within a few minutes.

12-04-2016, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

PM me I have a battery for a K50 I found in a drawer after I upgraded to a K-3ii. I will send it to ya!
12-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
can you measure voltages. I think the voltage is printage on the battery. My K3II battery says 7.2V, but freshly charged has something like 8.3V
12-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
PM me I have a battery for a K50 I found in a drawer after I upgraded to a K-3ii. I will send it to ya!
Thanks!.....That is what I love about this group.

Anyhow, got my AA holder today and picked up a multimeter. Batteries are spot on, camera dead as a door knob.

Calling Pentax tomorrow as it is under warranty....also, glad I have the extended one for down the road.

Thanks all!