Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #16

Great Job. ths.
btw can u make a video?

12-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great, I just don't care anymore. 1st problems at 12K replaced under warranty, now after 38k, starting again...currently using M42 lenses, but I feel my patience slipping, my K-30's imminent death is a fact, either bashed in with, or against a rock....
12-20-2016, 07:48 AM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I feel my patience slipping, my K-30's imminent death is a fact, either bashed in with, or against a rock....
That would be a shame. If you didn't want to fix it, there'd be plenty of people willing to buy it - or you could donate it to someone who could fix it for their kids or someone unable to buy a camera. That would be a lot more satisfying than destroying the camera, I'd think...
12-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

1st problems at 12K replaced under warranty, now after 38k, starting again...
Too bad you are in South Africa. If you were in the US perhaps you could have made arrangements with the OP to send you camera to him and he could make a video of the DIY repair using his repaired camera. Such a video would be invaluable.

12-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Too bad you are in South Africa. If you were in the US perhaps you could have made arrangements with the OP to send you camera to him and he could make a video of the DIY repair using his repaired camera. Such a video would be invaluable.
That is the problem, it is just not worth it to try and repair, first time took 4 months...

Luckily I bought my K5iis while the K-30 was in for repairs the 1st time, and that seems to be going very well
12-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #21

Very interesting reading and a great DIY solution.
One point I'd add, coming from a background in computer servicing and repair, would be to take extreme care to ground oneself to eliminate the static charge that can build up in the human body by such simple things as walking across a nylon carpet.
The hair-thin wiring in electrical circuitry can easily be burnt out by electrostatic discharge (ESD) with the worst result being that you're not aware of any such damage and have no clue as to why your device suddenly no longer works.
When working on computers it's relatively easy to at least equalize the static charge by gripping the metal chassis of the computer before starting work, but it would be harder with a small device like a camera.
In my workshop I connected a bare copper wire to the earth pin of an ordinary electrical socket and would just grab that for a few seconds before going near any circuit boards.
Some servicemen wear a bracelet that's connected by wire to an alligator clip on the computer chassis but I found my method easier and less hampering.
12-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

That is the problem, it is just not worth it to try and repair, first time took 4 months...

Luckily I bought my K5iis while the K-30 was in for repairs the 1st time, and that seems to be going very well
I think you are one of the very few, if not the first, to report a second failure after repair. Have you used the camera much after the repair or has it sat unused for long periods of time (several months)?
12-21-2016, 12:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I think you are one of the very few, if not the first, to report a second failure after repair. Have you used the camera much after the repair or has it sat unused for long periods of time (several months)?
Not used that much, about 26000 clicks in 2 years....I believe the replacement part was probably one of the original defective bunch, but at this stage I can't take up with the shop i bought it from, they went belly up, and I don't have the patience to even try and get anywhere with Pentax distributors in South Africa, I've got enough stress in life as it is.

Funny, the K-30 was the only camera that I've bought quite soon after it became available, the others were all at the end of their cycle, and I never had problems with those, so lesson learned

12-21-2016, 01:23 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Funny, the K-30 was the only camera that I've bought quite soon after it became available, the others were all at the end of their cycle, and I never had problems with those, so lesson learned
I've never been an "early adopter". When it comes to computer equipment I tend to buy one generation behind the latest equipment because it is well established with all the major bugs worked out.
12-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #25
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Not used that much, about 26000 clicks in 2 years....I believe the replacement part was probably one of the original defective bunch, but at this stage I can't take up with the shop i bought it from, they went belly up, and I don't have the patience to even try and get anywhere with Pentax distributors in South Africa, I've got enough stress in life as it is.

I guess "not that much" is person dependent. At my historic usage, it would take me over thirty years to raise the shutter count by that much.
12-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess "not that much" is person dependent. At my historic usage, it would take me over thirty years to raise the shutter count by that much.
I did a lot of school sports with it in that time, combined with old slowpoke DA55-300, and sometimes a bit of spray and pray..., but with the kids out of school now, doing very little shooting at the moment, actually trying to kick-start the enthusiasm for the hobby at the moment
12-25-2016, 10:19 PM   #27

Thank you for the detailed disassembly instruction.
I tried to repair my K-30 last night and it looks I did it. The aperture works normally with both AA batteries and Lion battery, at least till this moment. Cheers!
I filed two ends of the "horse shoe", following the advise from our Russian friends. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-ape...ailable-2.html
I prefer the Russian solution because in this way the magnet can still hold the horse shoe reliably while the actuation between them is weaken.

Please forgive me for my poor English.

Last edited by Ash; 12-26-2016 at 02:05 AM.
12-26-2016, 12:58 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to hear more are fixed. I am curious if just pulling the shoe off the magnet would fix it, at least for a while.
12-26-2016, 02:02 AM   #29
Pentaxian

For those of you who tried the fix, how long did it take?
12-26-2016, 02:38 AM   #30

For those of you who tried the fix, how long did it take?
It took me about two hours from removing the first screw to assembling everything back, including about one hour to file the "horse shoe" and test the actuation force again and again.
But I have spent many hours to search solutions, search how to disassemble the body, and decide to do this by myself.
By the way, I printed this as a screw map to keep all screws in their position. Transparent double-sided adhesive is very helpful in case you move the paper by accident.
Attached Images