Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #76
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I have just ordered the "made in China" white solenoid (allthough I don't need it) and will take photos as soon as it has arrived.
So some of the "white" solenoids are made in China. Do you know whether they are also made of teflon, as the Japanese ones are?

10-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So some of the "white" solenoids are made in China. Do you know whether they are also made of teflon, as the Japanese ones are?
And it is possible that green ones are made in Japan too. Yes, you can get PTFE in translucent green.
10-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
And it is possible that green ones are made in Japan too. Yes, you can get PTFE in translucent green.
No, the green ones are all made in China.
10-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #79

Member hnikesch has purchsed this complete aperture block recently from US-Camera. His has the green solenoid

10-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
No, the green ones are all made in China.
And you know this how?

BTW: Taiwan is the Republic of China.
10-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
And you know this how?

BTW: Taiwan is the Republic of China.
Because I know the original manufacturer from Japan, who moved manufacture of the solenoid outside Japan

to the People's Republic of China, i.e. in Jiansu.

They also have an office in Taiwan but manufacturing of our solenoid was in Jiansu.
01-13-2019, 02:17 AM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by LSAGuy Quote
I bought the complete replacement assembly with the white solenoid from USCamera for $35. Anyone replaced the whole assembly? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

---------- Post added 10-02-18 at 07:26 AM ----------

I just compared the new assembly with the photograph of the solenoid on page one of this discussion. The difference in the new board (mfg date of 9/9/2017) is the neodymium magnet has been moved up so that there is a 1.5 mm (eye ball measurement ) gap between the magnet and the plastic coil bobbin. This seems to support the argument that the fix reduces the magnetic force drawing the plunger in.

Rick
Last week I received a Aperture controll block from USCamera which they call the Diaphragm Control Block . It was an expensive deal because of added VAT.

It has the China made green solenoid on it.

But it was a very useful buy because I could do some tests with it:

With the China green solenoid the release time of the horseshoe was 10 ms
Then I installed a white solenoid from a defunct Pentax K10D: Release time was 2 ms!

This explains what I always felt I heard as a difference and noticed also when I did a series of shots:

With the white Solenoid the K30 (and the others) shoot faster and more precise.

I have several times asked member LSAGuy to upload a photo or send me one of his block which he claimed had the white solenoid on it.
He never did, he wrote to me that he did not install the block into his body but purchased an used Pentax K20D instead.

I very much daubt that he got it with a white solenoid because several people I know of have meanwhile ordered the same unit:

All with the green solenoid!

Logic! Because the white solenoid is no longer manufactured since a long time!

I know that somebody was able to buy some white NOS (New Old Stock) solenoids in Tokyo Akihabara but I never found any direct link where one could get them
directly from Japan.