Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #1

K50 Shutter Speed issues

I had issues adjusting the shutter speed on my K50 today. At times I couldn't.

Manual mode. Outside. About -5C. It just wouldn't work. Turning the camera on and off helped.

Got it home, swapped the battery, let it warm up - about an hour or so and still had issues. Turning the camera on and off, or checking another setting seems to wake it up.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

01-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you in instant review by any chance? That disables the normal function of the e-dials until you half-press.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-30-2017, 04:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
I do use instant review, but I should be able to adjust shutter speed even if I am not setting up a shot. No? It wouldn't change, but if I checked another setting or turned the camera on and off, it would work again for a short time and the I would "trick" it again to continue.
03-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you in instant review by any chance? That disables the normal function of the e-dials until you half-press.
Thank You!!!

04-17-2017, 04:09 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by anniam Quote
I had issues adjusting the shutter speed on my K50 today. At times I couldn't.

Manual mode. Outside. About -5C. It just wouldn't work. Turning the camera on and off helped.

Got it home, swapped the battery, let it warm up - about an hour or so and still had issues. Turning the camera on and off, or checking another setting seems to wake it up.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?
I've had exactly the same problem, and it persisted even after switching off the instant review. I think I've cured it by changing from multi-shot to single shot using the right hand button on the back of the camera (looks like a self-time button). Once I had changed this setting, I was able to change shutter speeds without having to turn the camera off/on. Even going back to multi-shot I can still change shutter speeds.

Hope this helps.
04-17-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have the same problem with my K-50. I can't stop a car at 25MPH at 1,000 of a second . But with my 47 year old SPOTMATIC at 1,000 of a second I can stop a helicopter rotor blade. Why is that???

Last edited by KLAATU; 04-17-2017 at 11:59 PM. Reason: old 47