Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #1

K50 black picture problem; should I take it back?

Hi all,

I did a quick search and check and it looks like I'm experiencing the K50 aperature issue on my brand new camera. It seems to happen for a the first couple of shots after the camera has been sitting for a bit. Changing the metering and taking another shot seems to fix it for now.

I bought this less than two weeks ago and can exchange/return it if I do it by Wednesday. Does the K3 have this issue? What about the K70 or Ks2? Or should I just jump to Canon or Nikon (I have one decent Canon lens, for Nikon I'd be starting from scratch; have four fairly cheap Pentax lenses)?

Need answers ASAP as I'm going to decide by tomorrow.

Thanks

PS really stinks; my *istD has never given me issues.

01-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nbs2005 Quote
Hi all,

I did a quick search and check and it looks like I'm experiencing the K50 aperature issue on my brand new camera. It seems to happen for a the first couple of shots after the camera has been sitting for a bit. Changing the metering and taking another shot seems to fix it for now.

I bought this less than two weeks ago and can exchange/return it if I do it by Wednesday. Does the K3 have this issue? What about the K70 or Ks2? Or should I just jump to Canon or Nikon (I have one decent Canon lens, for Nikon I'd be starting from scratch; have four fairly cheap Pentax lenses)?

Need answers ASAP as I'm going to decide by tomorrow.

Thanks

PS really stinks; my *istD has never given me issues.
The K-3 does not have this issue, and it should be more durable than both your ist D and all of the newer entry-level bodies like the K-70 and K-S2. If you're looking for something that will serve you for many, many years, then the K-3 / the flagship line is the way to go.

I haven't heard of any K-70 failures, and K-S2 failures are rarer than the K-50, but they've happened.

A third option would simply be to get the camera repaired under warranty, or exchanged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #3

Just out of curiosity get the date of manufacture from the EXIF data.

Take it back. The problem isn't going to get better on its own.
01-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately a number of K-30 and K-50 units, and a much smaller number of K-S2 units, have shown this problem. From the evidence we've seen, it seems to be small proportion, but it's a known issue.

As Adam says, the K-3 does not have the issue, nor does the K-3II. The K-70 hasn't had any reports of the problem, but it's still a relatively new model. In your position, I personally would go for either a used K-3 or K-3II, or a new K-3II. Or, you could exchange for another K-50, but there will always be a risk - however low - that you might experience the same problem further down the road.

01-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes, take it back immediately and thank all the gods of photography that the opportunity to do so is there. Life's too short to agonise about this problem. You've drawn a short straw; no point going there again.

In your shoes, I would go for the K-3 if I had the cash to make up the difference. Don't be in a hurry to jump ship - the need to replace all your glass will eventually prove more expensive in the long run.
01-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Definitely return it.

Want a guaranteed fix? Get a K-3II instead.

Want to chance a fix? Exchange it for another K-50. Chances are that the place where you got them from could potentially have a bad batch of K-50 cameras. Maybe not.

On a side note, I have 2 K-50 bodies. One has about 23,000 actuations & the other about 17,000. Neither of them have given me a single issue so far. I've had them since January 2015. Not all K-50 bodies will experience this, but I guess it's all the luck of the draw.

I do plan on adding the upcoming APS-C flagship that's supposed to replace the K-3II. Not talking about the KP. I'm talking about a new flagship camera that will supposedly be out in about 6 to 9 months from now. If the specs look good, my K-50s will have a newer sibling.
01-30-2017, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #7

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the K-50, but this is the best time for it to fail.

My advice is that you don't faff about, change it now or you'll regret it.

If you can stretch to a new K-3 ii, (provided you don't need a built in flash) you'll get years of service from it plus Pixel shift, gps, and astrotracer. The K-3ii is excellent value for a new camera, and built like a tank.

Importantly, buying new get's you the manufacturer's warranty and peace of mind.

If you do use flash, get a cheap used add on flash unit - maybe you already have one.

If all the above are beyond your budget, then K-3 would be a good option. If you were happy with the resolution of the K-50 then consider the older K-5 series which should save you a few bucks. If buying used make sure you get a low shutter count camera.

Don't be put off the brand because of this failure, all brands have moments like this. For what it's worth, I have not ever had one of my many Pentax cameras from *ist D to K-1 or any lenses fail.

Good luck.

01-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Your most sensible alternative would be to return the camera for a full refund. Then you could consider a K-5IIS, K-3, or K-3II. The K-3II is the most featured/advanced of the three, but the other two are also viable choices for excellent images. The K-3 and K-3II have more mp, but the K-5 line (K-5, K-5II, K-5IIS) are capable of very nice image quality, the K-5IIS being the best due to it lacking the anti-aliasing filter which permits more detail.
01-31-2017, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Always great to deal with Henry's Camera in Toronto. Now to decide what to get next.........

Thanks all,

Jeff
02-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #10

Original Poster
Update; I'm no longer a Pentax owner. I've picked up a new Nikon D610 for $1800 and change CAD. With the sale of my Pentax camera/lenses I have a 28mm AF Nikkor prime, a 35-70 f2.8 zoom, and a 80-200mm f4 AIS.

Learning the new ecosystem is a bit tough but I'm up for it.

Thanks.
02-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

It's all good. Enjoy the camera!
02-09-2017, 12:39 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nbs2005 Quote
Update; I'm no longer a Pentax owner. I've picked up a new Nikon D610 for $1800 and change CAD. With the sale of my Pentax camera/lenses I have a 28mm AF Nikkor prime, a 35-70 f2.8 zoom, and a 80-200mm f4 AIS.

Learning the new ecosystem is a bit tough but I'm up for it.

Thanks.
Sorry to lose you to Nikon, but the D610 is a fine camera. I'm sure you'll love it!