Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You find the correct white solenoid in those DSLR bodies:

ist-D, ist Ds (1/2),

K100D, K110D, K200D, K-m, K-x K-r
K10D, K20D, Samsung versions of all those.

Differences and particular why filing is not such a good idea you find here:
Solenoid in Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com
Why you shouldn't file/sand the plunger of the green Chinasolenoid but replace it - PentaxForums.com
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

Super Program and Program-A have 3V solenoids, again, they look similar but cannot be used at all.
I recently found an MZ50 on a fleamarket for almost nothing. Thought I try it again. Solenoid obviously has opposite polarisation.
It pulls when it should release. Also its holding force is slightly different.

The Kx never had green solenoids in the aperture mechanism!

06-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #332

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Says you:
Blendensteuerung K 30 Defekte ? Pentaxians
QuoteQuote:
Hab meine alte ausgenudelte K-x geöffnet. 1.ste Überraschung kam beim Abnehmen vom oberen Teil.
Das obere Solenoid für den Blitz ist das gleiche wie in der K50, auch grün. Dann 2.te Überraschung. Auch das untere für die Blendensteuerung ist grün.

Wieder zusammengeschraubt.

Also wieder ein weißes bestellt.
Translation:
QuoteQuote:
Have opened my old auspicious Kx. 1.ste surprise came when removing from the upper part.
The upper solenoid for the flash is the same as in the K50, also green. Then 2nd surprise. Also the lower for the iris control is green.

Screwed together again.

So again ordered a white.
One or two other posters on the Pentaxians.de forum also report finding green solenoids on the diaphragm control block in K-x's. Another reports (with photos) finding a green solenoid for the flash and a white solenoid for the diaphragm in their K-r.

Solenoid K-S2 Frage Blendensteuerung/inzwischen repariert:-) ? Pentaxians

QuoteQuote:
so, die K-r ist zerlegt.
Es sind 2 Solenoide, einer als Blendensteuerung (weiß) und unterm Blitz... (grün)
Vorsicht, Handyfoto...

Jetzt hab ich also 3 Solenoide
Translation:
QuoteQuote:
so, the K-r is disassembled.
There are 2 solenoids, one as iris control (white) and under the flash ... (green)
Careful, cell phone photo ...

So now I have 3 solenoids
Never say never...
06-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Says you:
No, I didn't say this!

I said:
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
All of those German quotes say exactly what I wrote here several times:
That there have been green solenoids in the flash circuitry!
For example HERE and HERE but I paste this particular part for you:
"The green solenoid was first sometimes applied in the flash compartment of some (not all!) Pentax K100D, K110D, K200D, K-m, K-x and K-r (it seems mostly Europe)."

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Never say never...
Never
06-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Probably too much of this thread is wasted in arguments, so I will just say this. Pick up the closest DSLR and install an M42 or M type lens. Set the camera to M mode, 1/180, manual focus. That should allow you to take several shots in quick succession. Set the camera to allow you to shoot while the flash is charging. Pop up the flash. Take several quick shots.

The first shot, the flash fires at 100%. The next shot, I say it doesn't. Which I conclude means the capacitor takes time to charge. That might be why Pentax includes a Custom setting in all my cameras to allow shooting while the flash is charging.

Anyone can try this on their own and decide if I am right.
I have tested it your method with an open K30 so I could measure voltage right away (and later on):

- Menu C-3-16: Shutter Release while charging flash: on 2 (yes)
- M-Mode + 1/200 seconds + flash fires (my K-30 doesn't allow 1/180s)
- I took a series of photos and then immediately switched the camera off!

- Right then the voltage is still too high: I measured 126V/DC (in old days 100V/DC was seen as critical, nowadays it is 50V/DC).

- 24 hours later it had dropped down to an uncritical 26 Volts and 2 further days later to almost 0V/DC

So you where right the way you described it in your first post about how you did your repair.

2 Days Ago - 1 Like   #335
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dem5867 Quote
There apparently has been no failures in the istD thru the K200. There seems to be some question of if the K-x or K-r have the "Green" or the "White"
I can confidently report that the problem presented originally with the K-30. Solenoid color is convenient when talking about installed parts on the K-30/K-50/K-500 models, but irrelevant on earlier cameras and quite likely so on later models.

Steve