Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2019, 03:38 AM   #346
Pentaxian

@photogem

I totally agree with your last comment "It is of zero interest here..... and I add: "time consuming ... endless babble"

07-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #347
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I do babble [A lot],, and a lot of times it's TMI and causes confusion.. I will try to keep things short !!!
Thanks for the feedback..

I feel like an and moron,, My K50 was broke for sometime and I was clueless about it !! 85 / 90 % of time I use the camera outdoors and there are only a few shots (That I didn't delete..) from outdoors appear to be darker then maybe they should be,, I just thought the camera took richer color pictures then my other cameras , personally I thought looked great, richer color.. yet I've been to a couple of functions were when I looked at the pictures I ended up deleting more pictures than I kept, not thinking thru I blamed it on operator error , not correcting for the back light coming thru the windows.. One of the sites I have shot many times under the same outdoor lighting coming thru the windows. Never even considered a problem with the camera.. Now that I remember I just want to get it out there that if like me you think you're having a back lighting issue , you may want to do the check on it to insure it's not the aperture problem.. I've owned enough cameras I should have catch it !!
07-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The most important: Each thread has a title!
The title of this thread is "K-50 / K-500 Aperture Solenoid fix (DIY with pics)

For different questions or different problems there are different threads.

Or one opens a thread.

A thread like this is there to help people who are interested in a correct DIY approach.

And not to overload those who are interested.
07-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #349
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dem5867 Quote

1. Now that it isn't as important ,, what do you all think this chances of getting a new or used K70 that has the aperture issues ??
2. If you purchased a K70 used and it didn't appear to have the problem , would you replaced the green solenoid as soon as you got the camera or would you wait until you have issues ??
Yikes! Wall of text. (No, I did not read it all - sorry!)

But to answer your questions:

1. There is a risk, but it would be a considerably lower risk than with the K-30 and K-50.

2. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

07-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MarkJerling; "Don't fix it if it ain't broke." I think you're right. I'm hoping to keep the K50 as a backup !!

Not that I'm looking to buy new , especially of here in the USA , so I'm asked if anybody knows if companies still do if you didn't by it in the US it's grey market and the warranty will not be valid in the US ?? If so are the Japanese new cameras grey market also ??

"There is a risk, but it would be a considerably lower risk than with the K-30 and K-50."

So am I hearing the there is a consensuses that the feeling is that the K70 definitely has less chance of having a solenoid issue ??

For me I kind of decided , I'm hoping to find a K70 with the aperture issue ,, yet If I see a used one that at the right price I'll pop for it.. It comes down to I've always loved my Pentaxs , I have years invested in Pentax lenses and accessories, the K70 has the features I want , I have parts and know how to do the repair, age
(My), so I think it's best to stay with the animals that I know..

What I was / am / will be worried about is that like me somebody don't know they have an issue.. I can't tell you how much of an idiot I feel like, I've been shooting for 40 years , I should have caught it years ago.. In my defense the early days it's was very intermittent, yet I have a wedding shoot that the church which was darker than the reception hall were the few pictures in the church came out good yet almost none of the hall came out at all, I should have noticed that !! Film day artifact I'm sure I don't look at the previews on the LCD screen , I most times wait till I download them to the PC weeks later, no competition like in my film days.. I need to make checking the previews a habit..
07-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #351
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please start quoting correctly: Like this: (At the bottom of my post, you'll see there is a "quote" button, bottom right. Use that. (Or manually add the quote tags)

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There is a risk, but it would be a considerably lower risk than with the K-30 and K-50.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
"Don't fix it if it ain't broke."
But, to quote you:

So am I hearing the there is a consensuses that the feeling is that the K70 definitely has less chance of having a solenoid issue ??
Yes, so you're less likely to find a secondhand K-70 with the problem than a K-30 or K-50.

Not that I'm looking to buy new , especially of here in the USA , so I'm asked if anybody knows if companies still do if you didn't by it in the US it's grey market and the warranty will not be valid in the US ?? If so are the Japanese new cameras grey market also ??
As long as you buy from an authorised retailer in the USA, you'll not have issues with grey market goods and Pentax. Avoid unknown sellers on e-bay, amazon and the like. The way it works, if you buy a Pentax product new in another country, you generally have to return the product to that country for warranty service. Unless, the local agent will honour the warranty, which happens - sometimes.
09-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #352

What is the original rootcause of the K-30/K-50 coil issue? I found this video
that suggests that the edges of the horseshoe needs to be filed, just as showed in the OP's post Fig 10. And the guys says it has fixed his camera - hoping then it's not needed to replace the electromagnet.

So what is happening to the original coil and why is K100's one better than K-30?
09-30-2019, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #353
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eltomek Quote
What is the original rootcause of the K-30/K-50 coil issue? I found this video how to fix Pentax K50 and K30 with aperture problem - YouTube that suggests that the edges of the horseshoe needs to be filed, just as showed in the OP's post Fig 10. And the guys says it has fixed his camera - hoping then it's not needed to replace the electromagnet.

So what is happening to the original coil and why is K100's one better than K-30?
The root cause is the change from one manufacturer to another and one material to another. It's all explained here: A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
The filing solution is a temporary solution at best. The considered advice is to not use the filing method if you want a permanent fix. The filing method may cause other damage to your camera over time.

More information:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
And:
Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com
And:
Why you shouldn't file/sand the plunger of the green Chinasolenoid but replace it - PentaxForums.com