Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2020, 07:15 AM   #376
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfrpcopy Quote
I just bought a "for parts" *ist D S as a donor camera to replace the failing solenoid on my K-S2. I took it apart and found one white solenoid for the flash lock, and one gray one for the aperture. I'm planning to use the white one in the transplant, both beacuse I figure the flash was used less than the aperture, and the listing for the source camera mentioned specifically that the aperture wasn't working. But I'm still wondering what this gray solenoid is.
Your thoughts about the white solenoid being less used is correct.

What really surprises me: The black solenoid from the aperture control has the red thread-locking laquer which indicates that either this solenoid was in your DS from new or it was replaced but then received the same laquer to fix the screws.

01-31-2020, 08:57 AM   #377

It looks to me that the black/grey solenoid was a replacement part in the DS. Perhaps someone had tried to repair a fault. If you look at the left side hole in that solenoid, you can see the impression of a screw or something around that hole, an indication that it had once been mounted in another piece of equipment. There also is some red thread locker on that side of the solenoid.
01-31-2020, 06:55 PM   #378

The left side (in the picture) is where the screw was that held it in the camera. I had to break the threadlocker to get it out. The threadlocker is also on the right side where it was just on a post, which seems weird to me.