Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2018, 01:40 AM   #121
Forum Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just a thought, would it be feasible to swap just the magnet from the green K50 solenoid to the white solenoid from the MZ7 to obtain the correct polarity and holding force?

03-08-2018, 02:28 AM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigyinn Quote
Just a thought, would it be feasible to swap just the magnet from the green K50 solenoid to the white solenoid from the MZ7 to obtain the correct polarity and holding force?
No, polarity does not change like that!
It is the polarity of the coils which is different, not of the magnet.

One has to swap cables.

---------- Post added 03-08-18 at 02:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Would you mind posting the source here for everyone to see?
Yes, but the problem is, you'd have to register there. All is in German.

The link is this one

One has to check if there would be tax and VAT outside EU, I think for buyers in the USA, Canada and possibly even Australia and
New Zealand the link via ebaycom seems more sensible. I have ordered once there, the solenoid was fine.
03-08-2018, 02:58 AM   #123
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
photogem;4224553]No, polarity does not change like that!
One has to swap cables.

Aaah, misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the polarity of the magnet.

I understand about the cables being swapped over, meaning the horsehoe will move in opposite directions depending on the current flow through the coils.

Going back to the magnet, you say the holding force is greater on the white solenoids, which will be due to the magnet located in the middle between the coils at the top. I havent got a solenoid to hand at the moment, but would removing the magnet in the white solenoid and replacing it with the magnet from the green solenoid fix that? Assuming its possible to remove the magnet in the first place?
03-08-2018, 07:22 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, the size of the magnets are different!

Attached are two photos I took quickly of the different solenoids:

Photo 1 shows the two white solenoids: Left solenoid of Pentax K10D/Kx etc
Right solenoid of Pentax MZ7: stronger holding force! Too strong.

Photo2 shows the those two white and on the very left the green solenoid of a Pentax K30:

The gap and housing for the magnet of the green and white solenoid have a different form!!!

One can not really distinguish the magnets of the both white solenoids and I cannot measure the magnetic force, the student who did the previous measurements is now in midst of his master studies and has no time left for such experiments.
I also don't need more measurements, I have enough precise sensitivity that I can tell the difference with ease just using my fingers.

As might notice: the left (correct) solenoid is damaged, the pin to which one end of the coil is soldered onto is broken, sadly the copper wire of this winding cannot be attached anymore. So this is a defunct solenoid I kept just for reference of the holding force.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by photogem; 03-08-2018 at 07:54 AM.
03-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
No, polarity does not change like that!

One has to swap cables.

Yes, but the problem is, you'd have to register there. All is in German.

The link is this one

One has to check if there would be tax and VAT outside EU, I think for buyers in the USA, Canada and possibly even Australia and
New Zealand the link via ebaycom seems more sensible. I have ordered once there, the solenoid was fine.
Thank you. German's not a problem.
04-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
solenoid

available at ebay
New Aperture Solenoid Plunger Coupler For Pentax K-S1 K-30 K-50 K-500 Camera | eBay
04-13-2018, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #127
Forum Member

I fixed a K-500 and K-50 by grinding the magnet a bit with sandpaper and putting it back in just the way it was. This fix has worked for 9 months now. 0 black images.

05-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
I fixed a K-500 and K-50 by grinding the magnet a bit with sandpaper and putting it back in just the way it was. This fix has worked for 9 months now. 0 black images.
If you just file the magnet, is there any need to unsolder the solenoid from the weird or board?

Thanks,

Jim Fellows
05-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jimfellows Quote
If you just file the magnet, is there any need to unsolder the solenoid from the weird or board?

Thanks,

Jim Fellows
You really don't want the filings all over the inside of your camera!
05-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #130

By magnet are you referring to the permanent magnet near the screw holes or the horseshoe plunger (which should not be a magnet and is the part normally sanded/filed)?
05-06-2018, 04:42 AM   #131
Forum Member

Thanks,

Jim Fellows
No. The magnet is in place with a small screw that might be covered with adhesive. Unscrew it and get the magnet out. File the ends and put it back.
There good tutorials online with pictures (even a video on yt) for better instructions.
But the screw is very small and difficult to get to. You need good tools.
05-06-2018, 05:50 AM   #132

I was able to unscrew the solenoid and pull the magnet out and file it down. I then put it all together and and it seems to work great. It really makes a matter of undoing about 20 screws and a bit of filing.

Jim Fellows.

05-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #133
Forum Member

nice!
05-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
No. The magnet is in place with a small screw that might be cove red with adhesive. Unscrew it and get the magnet out. File the ends and put it back.There good tutorials online with pictures (even a video on yt) for better instructions.
But the screw is very small and difficult to get to. You need good tools.
What you did was to unscrew the solenoid.

You can see the solenoid here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/346226d...w.-wires-2.jpg

This long part in the gap inbetween the two left and right holes (right one on the photo is yet closed with red laquer):
This is the magnet.
The part at the bottom is the "magnetic" horseshoe-plunger". It is this part which you (and others) sanded i.e. filed.

And you filed the ends of the horseshoe plunger which is magnetic and not a magnet either:

I was able to unscrew the solenoid and pull the magnet out and file it down. I then put it all together and and it seems to work great. It really makes a matter of undoing about 20 screws and a bit of filing.

Jim Fellows.
Same problem. You did not pull the magnet out but the magnetic U-shaped horseshoe.
Again, not a recommended method, it works for a while but often leads to further damage.

If one wants a repair that lasts permanently one has to get this white solenoid and exchange it against the green solenoid.

---------- Post added 05-06-18 at 07:49 PM ----------

This is the solenoid which causes the problems.
In almost all cases where this part was installed after about a year the problem came back.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-07-2018 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Rude comments removed.
05-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #135

So I was carrying out this repair on my K-30 and everything went fine except when I was discharging the capacitor with my multimeter, my hand moved slightly and the lead slipped and shorted to the other lead which shorted the capacitor and emptied it. Now nothing seems to have been hurt by that, I went on with the repair and when it was reassembled the camera no longer responses to power on, it just stays black and nothing works. Interestingly when the camera was off, and the battery was in and left this way, the back of the camera felt warm but it doesn't make sense that anything else was damaged in the repair. I'm not sure how to proceed other than a full disassembly to look for damaged components. Anyone have a similar experience or advice on what I should do?