Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by le0n Quote
Hey everybody..
From my last post, where I filed the green solenoid thing, I managed to take about 1000 photos. Then again the black image reappeared... And something else as well. The mirror sometimes is not performing a full cycle, so it gets stuck midway after taking a picture.
Do you think this problem is related to the solenoid as well?
If so, do you think if I replace the solenoid with a new one, all problems should disappear (at least temporarily?) or if I replace the selonoid the shutter problem will remain and will have to replace another part?
Is it worth to service the camera or not? (Out of warranty)
Thank you
Do you have a lens with an aperture ring?
If the camera is otherwise OK, it should work correctly in 'green button' mode when aperture is controlled from the lens.

10-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #167

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Do you have a lens with an aperture ring?
If the camera is otherwise OK, it should work correctly in 'green button' mode when aperture is controlled from the lens.
I'm sorry but I don't quite get it. I have two lenses with an aperture ring. A pentax A-50mm f2 and a 24-70 from sigma.

When using the Pentax lens in the A position the pictures come out black, while the readings from the green button seem to be ok. When using the aperture ring manually, the pictures come out good.
The mirror stucks rarely.

When using the Sigma 24-70 I get the same results regarding the underexposed images, while the mirrors stucks really frequently, about 1 in five or six clicks.

When using the full auto Pentax 35mm f2.4 the mirror never stucks but the images are black again. Readings seem to be ok here as well.

When using the full auto Tamron 18-200, mirror stucks again frequently and images come out black. Readings again seem to be fine.

So when the camera is controlling the aperture, nothing seems to work fine.
So I don't get the "camera is OK" you state above. I'm sorry but my English is not very good, so I might not understand what you are trying to say.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The aperture, mirror and shutter movements are all interrelated. If one doesn't complete it's cycle the rest will get locked up too. So, yes, it is probably related. There could be something else failing in the diaphragm control block like the motor for the mirror or some of the gears are broken or slipping. There are also gears for the mirror that can break or slip.

Replacing the solenoid may or may not solve the problem. The only way to find out is to try.
I agree with you, but if I told you that the mirror stuck problem, comes up even when using manually the aperture ring? I mean it comes up randomly in every case I fit a lens. Without the lens the mirror makes all the cycle without any issues.
10-10-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Failure of Pentax with filed green solenoid

Hey everybody..
From my last post, where I filed the green solenoid thing, I managed to take about 1000 photos. Then again the black image reappeared... And something else as well. The mirror sometimes is not performing a full cycle, so it gets stuck midway after taking a picture.
Do you think this problem is related to the solenoid as well?
If so, do you think if I replace the solenoid with a new one, all problems should disappear (at least temporarily?) or if I replace the selonoid the shutter problem will remain and will have to replace another part?
Is it worth to service the camera or not? (Out of warranty)
Thank you
The main problem is that you filed the horseshoe of the green solenoid, a solution which is not at all recommended!
It leeds mostly to further problems.

I have explained many times why this is so, study old postings for understanding this.

As you have done the work already, I would recommend you try it again but with the proper white solenoid.
You then check if it works while the body is still open, you insert the batterie, an AF lens like the DA18-55 kitlens and then you will see if all works.

If yes, remember to align the position of the AF/MF button: This you forgot last time

If no, then take the white solenoid out again and order the complete diaphragm control block and exchange it against the old one.

When you have ordered this unit, take photos and upload them here so we can see which solenoid is on it.

If it is the white solenoid, still upload photos! I need to see this white solenoid in detail.
If it is the green solenoid, change it with the white one.

Otherwise you could just buy right away this diaphragm assembly block. It is a bit more work involved but you have learned quite a bit now and will manage also this.

Good luck and keep us posted.
10-11-2018, 12:09 AM   #169

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The main problem is that you filed the horseshoe of the green solenoid, a solution which is not at all recommended!
It leeds mostly to further problems.

I have explained many times why this is so, study old postings for understanding this.

As you have done the work already, I would recommend you try it again but with the proper white solenoid.
You then check if it works while the body is still open, you insert the batterie, an AF lens like the DA18-55 kitlens and then you will see if all works.

If yes, remember to align the position of the AF/MF button: This you forgot last time

If no, then take the white solenoid out again and order the complete diaphragm control block and exchange it against the old one.

When you have ordered this unit, take photos and upload them here so we can see which solenoid is on it.

If it is the white solenoid, still upload photos! I need to see this white solenoid in detail.
If it is the green solenoid, change it with the white one.

Otherwise you could just buy right away this diaphragm assembly block. It is a bit more work involved but you have learned quite a bit now and will manage also this.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Photogem!
Thanx for your reply..
The thing about the whole diaphragm block is that it has the green solenoid installed as far as I can see from the photos in the website. So I really don't know if it will last after a few thousand shot and not break down again. So I think my best option is to find a white solenoid and replace it.

Right!

Do you think that the solenoid is related to the shutter sticking sometimes? Or is this a separate problem? I mean do you think it will resolve the sticky mirror as well or is this another problem? I'm asking because if this is a totally other issue, it might be a good idea to sell my k50 and get another camera..

Anyway do you think I might just go for the white solenoid first (if I can find one) and see how it goes, or buy the whole aperture block thing? What would you do? I'm really confused (and short of money)..

10-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.....do you think I might just go for the white solenoid first (if I can find one) and see how it goes, or buy the whole aperture block thing? What would you do? I'm really confused (and short of money)..
I question very much that Ricoh has access to the original "made in Japan" solenoid but I could be wrong.
I still wait for the one I have ordered to compare, it should arrive any day.
I had to get a friend in Korea to buy it for me so it takes a bit of time.

As would not know what really is the case with your K50 right now. It could just be the "sanded green solenoid" and I would take the risk to get a white one and then see.
If not, there are again and again damaged K30's or K50's on ebay so you could buy one of those, repair it and sell yours are damaged.

my 2 cents
10-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #171

Remember this source that I found from Taiwan that shows a white solenoid?
Taiwan Magnet Solenoid for Use in Cameras, Cellphones, Stereos and Other Portable Devices on Global Sources

That was dismissed because it couldn't be found in there products catalog on their Summit Elec-Tech website?

Look at this on their Summit Solenoid website custom products:
Solenoid (scroll down to solenoid coils)

and on their home page:
Solenoid

Being a custom product you can probably get the plastic in PTFE, PET or whatever and in different colors. They show an incorporation date of Feb 1999 so they could well have been the supplier of the part since the MZ/ZX-7

BTW: The person selling the used solenoids on EBay claims they were made by ALPS/Matsushita. Going back to Matsushita print catalogs circa 2008, I haven't found the solenoid listed.

(note you have to click on the photo links because they are not via HTTPS)
10-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #172
Pentaxian

Anyone tried the "fix" shown in Post #6 in this thread?

10-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #173

I would take the risk to get a white one and then see
I ordered the white solenoid from ebay! It will be here (Greece) near the end of November! Patience patience patience!!
I'll update!

BTW: The person selling the used solenoids on EBay claims they were made by ALPS/Matsushita. Going back to Matsushita print catalogs circa 2008, I haven't found the solenoid listed.
Don't know about this, but from what I read from most of the reviews, the solenoid did what it was supposed to do.
I dont know if he's lying on purpose OR guessed it OR Pentax while manufacturing the Kx had said that it was made there.
The only thing I know is that it works. Anyway thanx for pointing it out (not that it makes a difference to me now that I have ordered it), but all I/we have to do is wait!! ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Anyone tried the "fix" shown in Post #6 in this thread?
I did, but had no results
10-12-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #174
Pentaxian

The person selling the used solenoids on EBay claims they were made by ALPS/Matsushita. Going back to Matsushita print catalogs circa 2008, I haven't found the solenoid listed.
Don't know about this, but from what I read from most of the reviews, the solenoid did what it was supposed to do.
I dont know if he's lying on purpose OR guessed it OR Pentax while manufacturing the Kx had said that it was made there.
The only thing I know is that it works. Anyway thanx for pointing it out (not that it makes a difference to me now that I have ordered it), but all I/we have to do is wait!! ;-)
Of course it works.
The 'green' solenoid originally installed did that ..... initially.

The question is whether it will still be working after three years of work ......
and we won't know that until - three year from now.
10-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #175

The question is whether it will still be working after three years of work ......
Let's hope it does!
10-13-2018, 07:35 AM   #176

Of course it works.
The 'green' solenoid originally installed did that ..... initially.

and we won't know that until - three year from now.
BTW: The Summit Solenoid site says this:

"Add your name to our growing list of satisfied customers including Harley Davidson, Numatics, Zum, Americor, NSF controls, Matsushita, Toray Medical, Asus and Quanta."

So for all we know Summit Solenoid (Summit Elec-Tech) has been the supplier of the solenoid to Matsushita since 1999.
10-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #177

So for all we know Summit Solenoid (Summit Elec-Tech) has been the supplier of the solenoid to Matsushita since 1999.
Soooo the guy from eBay is right?
That's good to know!
10-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW: The Summit Solenoid site says this:

"Add your name to our growing list of satisfied customers including Harley Davidson, Numatics, Zum, Americor, NSF controls, Matsushita, Toray Medical, Asus and Quanta."

Summit (Taiwan) did supply Solenoids to many companies but NOT a solenoid with 30 ohms resistance.

The 30 ohms solenoid was manufactured by a Japanese company and sold to Matsushita, ALPS and Pentax.

This company which is over 50 years old moved their production plant about that time from Japan to China and Taiwan, when Hoya took over Pentax, i.e. in 2006.

And they wrote about it, that the specifications of this product could be altered without prior notice for improving its performance.
11-17-2018, 03:04 AM   #179

Update...
While waiting for the new white solenoid to arrive, I decided to open again my k50 and fiddle with it. There I realized that the tiny cable that I thought I attached to the old (green solenoid) was loose. So I guess I did not do a good job the first time...
I resoldered it again and now I made sure it was attached firmly in place.
Fired up the camera.. now works again...
Wish I opened it earlier..
Anyway now I received the white solenoid, but really I am too lazy to open the camera again and solder it.
What do I do? Any opinions?
Should I leave the green solenoid since it works flawlessly for now or should I remove it and replace it with the white one?
11-17-2018, 03:21 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Update...
While waiting for the new white solenoid to arrive, I decided to open again my k50 and fiddle with it. There I realized that the tiny cable that I thought I attached to the old (green solenoid) was loose. So I guess I did not do a good job the first time...
I resoldered it again and now I made sure it was attached firmly in place.
Fired up the camera.. now works again...
Wish I opened it earlier..
Anyway now I received the white solenoid, but really I am too lazy to open the camera again and solder it.
What do I do? Any opinions?
Should I leave the green solenoid since it works flawlessly for now or should I remove it and replace it with the white one?
Yes, I had my K-30 fixed ("mirror box" replacement, which probably included the green part), under warranty. Just before I discovered they would fix it, I striped one of my old manual cameras, think it was an MX, and got the white part out, still have it locked up in a safe place, just in case I need it.