Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #331
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

You find the correct white solenoid in those DSLR bodies:

ist-D, ist Ds (1/2),

K100D, K110D, K200D, K-m, K-x K-r
K10D, K20D, Samsung versions of all those.

Differences and particular why filing is not such a good idea you find here:
Solenoid in Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com
Why you shouldn't file/sand the plunger of the green Chinasolenoid but replace it - PentaxForums.com
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

Super Program and Program-A have 3V solenoids, again, they look similar but cannot be used at all.
I recently found an MZ50 on a fleamarket for almost nothing. Thought I try it again. Solenoid obviously has opposite polarisation.
It pulls when it should release. Also its holding force is slightly different.

The Kx never had green solenoids in the aperture mechanism!

06-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #332

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Says you:
Blendensteuerung K 30 Defekte ? Pentaxians
QuoteQuote:
Hab meine alte ausgenudelte K-x geöffnet. 1.ste Überraschung kam beim Abnehmen vom oberen Teil.
Das obere Solenoid für den Blitz ist das gleiche wie in der K50, auch grün. Dann 2.te Überraschung. Auch das untere für die Blendensteuerung ist grün.

Wieder zusammengeschraubt.

Also wieder ein weißes bestellt.
Translation:
QuoteQuote:
Have opened my old auspicious Kx. 1.ste surprise came when removing from the upper part.
The upper solenoid for the flash is the same as in the K50, also green. Then 2nd surprise. Also the lower for the iris control is green.

Screwed together again.

So again ordered a white.
One or two other posters on the Pentaxians.de forum also report finding green solenoids on the diaphragm control block in K-x's. Another reports (with photos) finding a green solenoid for the flash and a white solenoid for the diaphragm in their K-r.

Solenoid K-S2 Frage Blendensteuerung/inzwischen repariert:-) ? Pentaxians

QuoteQuote:
so, die K-r ist zerlegt.
Es sind 2 Solenoide, einer als Blendensteuerung (weiß) und unterm Blitz... (grün)
Vorsicht, Handyfoto...

Jetzt hab ich also 3 Solenoide
Translation:
QuoteQuote:
so, the K-r is disassembled.
There are 2 solenoids, one as iris control (white) and under the flash ... (green)
Careful, cell phone photo ...

So now I have 3 solenoids
Never say never...
06-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Says you:
No, I didn't say this!

I said:
All of those German quotes say exactly what I wrote here several times:
That there have been green solenoids in the flash circuitry!
For example HERE and HERE but I paste this particular part for you:
"The green solenoid was first sometimes applied in the flash compartment of some (not all!) Pentax K100D, K110D, K200D, K-m, K-x and K-r (it seems mostly Europe)."

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Never say never...
Never
That one person found a green solenoid for the aperture-control in a K-x points more likely at those private repairshops in Berlin or similar such as sys3175 who take out white solenoids from DSLR bodies and built in bad defunct green ones (or railway solenoids which look similar) to then sell them. In a few cases they even mess up the pop-up-flash and then sell them with "flash not working":
One (of several examples):

I'm selling a NOT working Pentax *ist DL with cosmetic wear. Flash does not work. Pictures are (too) dark. No guarantee that there are ALL parts included, parts maybe take out or replaced. No warranty or guarantee. I tried to describe as best as I can.
(and the same description for a K-x and an *ist DS, in German there is even a comment that these cameras come from a "craftworkshop", that they are tested by best knowledge and described by best knowledge)

Usually the flash does not work anymore because a tiny parts gets messed up when taking out the white solenoid G119 there.

All this to be able to sell Pentax K30's with "white solenoid conversion"!
One person gets a benefit, the other fooled ... i.e. cheated because it is very known that parts have been taken out.

Last edited by photogem; 11-16-2019 at 05:10 AM.
06-28-2019, 03:30 PM   #334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Probably too much of this thread is wasted in arguments, so I will just say this. Pick up the closest DSLR and install an M42 or M type lens. Set the camera to M mode, 1/180, manual focus. That should allow you to take several shots in quick succession. Set the camera to allow you to shoot while the flash is charging. Pop up the flash. Take several quick shots.

The first shot, the flash fires at 100%. The next shot, I say it doesn't. Which I conclude means the capacitor takes time to charge. That might be why Pentax includes a Custom setting in all my cameras to allow shooting while the flash is charging.

Anyone can try this on their own and decide if I am right.
I have tested it your method with an open K30 so I could measure voltage right away (and later on):

- Menu C-3-16: Shutter Release while charging flash: on 2 (yes)
- M-Mode + 1/200 seconds + flash fires (my K-30 doesn't allow 1/180s)
- I took a series of photos and then immediately switched the camera off!

- Right then the voltage is still too high: I measured 126V/DC (in old days 100V/DC was seen as critical, nowadays it is 50V/DC).

- 24 hours later it had dropped down to an uncritical 26 Volts and 2 further days later to almost 0V/DC

So you where right the way you described it in your first post about how you did your repair.

07-14-2019, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #335
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dem5867 Quote
There apparently has been no failures in the istD thru the K200. There seems to be some question of if the K-x or K-r have the "Green" or the "White"
I can confidently report that the problem presented originally with the K-30. Solenoid color is convenient when talking about installed parts on the K-30/K-50/K-500 models, but irrelevant on earlier cameras and quite likely so on later models.

Steve
07-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #336

I can confirm that putting a known failed green solenoid in a K20, fails as one would expect.. I was planning on putting a new non-mod.ed {by me.} green solenoid, yet age set in, I have some new green ones,, yet I have an old white one that I'm going to put in the K20.. I just don't think putting even a new green one in the K20 is smart, when I have a white one. I want / have to open the camera again , to fix the switches on the top deck , hopefully I will have deciding to replace the the microscope slide with, quart glass window , nothing or just leaving the slide..
07-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can confirm that putting a known failed green solenoid in a K20, fails as one would expect..
In a way there is no need to confirm this.
If you have a blown car-engine and the same engine was used in another car, why would one have the idea of installing this blown engine into another car?
Or even more simple: If you have a blown cylinder-head casket, why use this as a replacement for another engine with a blown gasket?
Doesn't make sense to me???

07-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #338

In a way there is no need to confirm this.
If you have a blown car-engine and the same engine was used in another car, why would one have the idea of installing this blown engine into another car?
Or even more simple: If you have a blown cylinder-head casket, why use this as a replacement for another engine with a blown gasket?
Doesn't make sense to me???
Well as I stated it was totally by mistake,, I have 2.5 new green ones on hand, yet I decided with the K20D to put a white one in, I have 3 of them.. The K20D is just such a nice body, I don't want to chance a green going bad and having to open the camera for a 3rd. time. How does one get .5 of a solenoid you ask ,, I was pulling the plunger out and it was stuck so tight that it flew out of my fingers.. The good news is it sounded like it stuck to some metal,, the bad news is the same ,, I have a ton of metal were it got lost..

"Photogem": Your statements are about how I feel between the white and green,, If I have an older 327 in the back yard you know runs , why would you by a junk yard motor that you don't know if it even runs ??

I have to say, after seeing the engineering and manufacturing of the white part compared with the green part , I'm totally bummed that Pentax {Ricoh} still insists that the mod.ed green part is as good as the white parts.. This I'm sure is penny wise , dollar foolish , for Ricoh.. Instead of putting there tail between there legs and go back to the original design at a buck or two per more camera , they'll spend thousand trying to mickey mouse the green ones to save a few cents at production... It just amasses me the if one looks for underexposed pictures some time pre-K30 , the K20d and back for sure one finds very few underexposed posts and mostly what one finds it appears that it's O.E.. Look at the K30 up (There have not been as many failures reported with the K70 , yet there has been some. The few K70 failures still appear to be using the same green solenoid mod'ed to work !! Look on EB , it appears that the K70 has the most used or pre-owned listings of Pentax DSLRs, a lot have very low shutter counts , I saw one with ~240 clicks and a lot are just under ~500 why are there so many people willing to give up what spec. wise is a great DSLR ??? Could it be there's more K70s out there with the aperture problems, then has been reported.

Lastly I hoping somebody can answer this for sure,, Does the KP not have the same aperture control system ??

TIA
07-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #339
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lastly I hoping somebody can answer this for sure,, Does the KP not have the same aperture control system ??
No, KP uses the same system as the K5, K-3, K3ii, K-1 and K-1II.
07-22-2019, 04:29 AM   #340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well as I stated it was totally by mistake,, I have 2.5 new green ones on hand, yet I decided with the K20D to put a white one in
But the K20D has a white solenoid originally.

I have to say, after seeing the engineering and manufacturing of the white part compared with the green part , I'm totally bummed that Pentax {Ricoh} still insists that the modded green part is as good as the white parts.. This I'm sure is penny wise , dollar foolish , for Ricoh.. Instead of putting there tail between there legs and go back to the original design at a buck or two more per camera , they'll spend thousands trying to mickey mouse the green ones to save a few cents at production...
I explained this here:
Amateur Photographers (UK) Predicts End for Pentax - Page 63 - PentaxForums.com
and here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com

Once companies in USA, UK, Germany and a few other countries produced radio-tubes of the very best quality.
But then for example Telefunken moved production to then Yugoslavia. All machines went there. The tubes produced there were inferior. Later one could only get Russian and Chinese tubes. Russian tubes rugged but bad sound, Chinese tubes terrible sound and fireworks for free. That's modern life. Not so easy to return.

IT IS NOT RICOH who makes the desicion there. It is the manufacturer Shinmei and Ricoh has no choice but to push them to better those solenoids.

So all those arguments.... one can understand it, but they don't count. Life plays different. Period!

Look on EB, it appears that the K70 has the most used or pre-owned listings of Pentax DSLRs, a lot have very low shutter counts , I saw one with ~240 clicks and a lot are just under ~500 why are there so many people willing to give up what spec. wise is a great DSLR ??? Could it be there's more K70s out there with the aperture problems, then has been reported.
If you mean ebay then you are plain wrong:

Today I found 1 x K-70 used on ebay USA, 1 x K-70 used on ebay Germany, Switzerland and Austria, 1 x K-70 on ebay UK.
There are quite a few from Japan, but that's normal and doesn't count.

A search for UK ebay sales of used K-70 under completet sales shows 3 x K-70 since April:

pentax k70 | eBay

Sorry, but what you wrote is not even remotly based on any prober conducted research!
07-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #341

"Today I found 1 x K-70 used on ebay USA, 1 x K-70 used on ebay Germany, Switzerland and Austria, 1 x K-70 on ebay UK. "
did you read my whole statement low shutter counts and volume was basically what I said.. What I said was if one looks on EBAY there are more K70s listed than any other Pentax listed and I'm thinking 3 sold in >3 months seems low to me.. Lastly I've been following the K70s for months and there been several here at USA camera shops that have had K70 with low shutter counts, some even stated that they have underexposure issues.. If I knew what I know now I would have a K70, for less than $300.00..

"There are quite a few from Japan, but that's normal and doesn't count."
Why's that, is Japan a different world ?? Does Japan have a special Japanese Pentax factory ?? Are you saying that the Japanese K70's better in some way then the K70s in the rest for the world ???

"Sorry, but what you wrote is not even remotly based on any prober conducted research! "
The only way to do as you call it "prober conducted research!" would be to purchase several K70s and test them or ask prospected sellers to do the test them,, you think there going to do it ,, would you want to find out you're trying to sell a broken camera ?? You're right the only research I conducted is from yours and many many more posts and discussions like this one and searching the world for a K70 at a great price because it seems to me that there's a good chance the aperture problems are just starting to show up,, I hope I'm wrong !!

My 1st. Pentax DSLR was the K20 (that I'm mod.ing for full spectrum..) fantastic camera.. I purchased the K50 sometime ago used , it had like 50 shots on it the person selling it to me told me that it was a present and it didn't seem as sharp as his Nikon DSLR, (thought he was crazy , the K20 was just so clear how could a more pixel camera not be sharp ??) well outside it took ok pictures some great some not so great , once in a while it would do a really dark picture view able but dark sometimes I would do 2 or 3 of the same shots and most times the others would come out ok, just thought it was just a metering glitch,, yet although sharp just not breathtaking as the K20.. inside it was a different story , the non-flashed pictures were all over the place mostly not sharp , well not as sharp.. once in awhile a unexplained dark picture.. Sometime shortly after the I purchased the K50 I purchased a low shutter count K-01 (Nice camera just can't get used to no viewfinder..), Funny looking at the pictures on the LCD just doesn't do the camera any justice, it really takes great pictures, they just don't look so great via the LCD..

Disappointed in both cameras I was hardly shooting at all even when I did take the K50, I even shot with my cell phone a couple of times.. Well at my grandson's 1st. birthday it broke.. I've been looking at used K70 and use surprised by two things 1. there seem to be more K70s used for sale than K50s,, 2. There seemed to be a lot of K70s with what to me seem to be low shutter counts (<3000),, at the time it just seemed to me to be odd,, didn't think no more about it.. Your right there does seem to be a lot both new and used from Japan (Don't understand what your trying to say about Japan sold cameras as far as I know there the same Pentaxes sold around the world..),, the only thing I noticed about the Japanese is there pricing seems to by all over the map with not apparent logic,, some are price low with high shutter counts (>5000) and low prices for low count ones and the reverse is also somewhat the same..

My K50, something I notice almost right away is the the shutter cycle seemed quieter than the K20, at the time I just thought ok Pentax made the K50 quieter,, yet it just sounded different click or other sound just sounded off, maybe mushy.. compared to the K20 and one cannot compare it to the K-01 (no mirror sounds).. The day I got home I googled about the cameras problem and I learnt about the problem.. of course I ordered several green replacements only to read more about the issue, that's when I remembered the K20.. Every time I time of opening a camera , I think of broken Timex watches , repairs just never end up well when I've try to repair them ,, something about rotary springs !! Based on a couple of posts , pictures and videos I moved the part from the K20 to the K50 , The bad news is the camera is much louder (It now clicks like the K20, maybe a touch louder.) the good news is the camera sounds better.. Well you know what I stupidly did with the bad one !!!

I need to thank everybody for all the great posts on the K30/K50 repair, for with out my K50 wouldn't be working..

As I stated above,, if I knew about the issue the day I got home with the broken K50 I would presently be in a K70,, that day in my searching for K70s (Really just looking I've been looking for sometime now..) there was one listed for $299.00 that clearly stated it had the aperture problem and oddly stated that the person he purchased it from said "It didn't take sharp pictures",, at the time I had never open a digital camera before (with the exception of a few P&Ps and well remember the watches), so I didn't jump on it ,, today it be mine.. The sharpness issue I don't see how the solenoid could be an issue causing that, and only I and the person on EBay are the only ones who seemed to comment about it , in my case I think there's dust or something in the AF path,, although it seems to do it less , it seems to hunt a lot when it gets close to focus, more so than the K-01 and the K20 pre-mod.

"Amateur Photographers (UK) Predicts End for Pentax.." I think it's the end of Pentax , I'm surprised there holding on.. Been to a electronics store in the USA in the last 5 to 10 years ?? Pentax hasn't !! See anybody other than Ricoh making Pentax mount items ??

What ever you want to call it fact , fiction , what ever pre-K30 and back even the few failures that were reported on this cameras were figured out to be mostly caused by some other issues, there has been failures of the K70 , I've not read about any repair done with the white solenoid, fail.. So if I did my research correctly there has been almost zero aperture faults reported pre-K20 with the white solenoid and there have been hundreds if not thousands of K30/K50 up to and including K70s with the green part mod.ed not not fail.. So at the end of the day there's no way to tell how many K70s are going to fail Having been thru many engineering issues with many companies , I just don't see with the engineering that went into the white part ,, that one will ever be able to mickey mouse the green part to work like the white part,, Ricoh is just buying time and it so sad your right "That's modern life. Not so easy to return." yet seems to me the truth is "There is no return.."

So the only proper conducted research I conducted was to read and read and read on the internet and my own personal experiences..

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-22-2019 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Minor profanity removed, quote tags inserted.
07-22-2019, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #342
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Sony 16MP Sensor which arrived in Pentax bodies with the K5 and then the K30/K-01 was a major step, as was SAFOX IV+ (K5 and K30) and particular SAFOX V (K5II).

I still have the K10D and the K20D here, the K10D is a very nice rugged body with its CCD Sensor but I didn't like the C-MOS of the K20D/K7 nor was their AF particular good (live-view was practicly useless). I know all of them very well.

Now... If you make better photos with your K20D than your K50 there are basically 2 possibilities:

1. Something is wrong with your K50
2. The problem is behind the camera (that's a direct translation of how we put it in the German language so ... no insult at all! It is a very common saying and usually just very true)

Of course your K50 is louder with the white solenoid.

This ought to be so by law:

Simply because your green solenoid was faulty/stuck, i.e did not produce any sound!

But it is infinitely impossible that the white solenoid would be louder then a working green one.

Because the white solenoids fires that tiny bit faster.

The sound is maybe a bit snappier, yes, but not louder....

If you get better pictures with the K-01 than with the K-50, I would guess that something is either wrong with your K-50

Could easely be dust or particles on the AF Sensor right at the bottom of the mirror

Or dirty sensor.

But as you wrote, you hardly used your K-50 and your K-01, so all the rest is basically guesswork based on picking all the negative you found about Pentax.

I have studied quantities of K-S1's and K-S2's offered on the 2-nd hand market with the aperture problem, compared with the K30 and K50 the percentage is very low, particular when one knows about how many K30's and K50's were hit by the aperture problem! The first reports of black photos with the K-30 and K-50 came after about 1 year after introduction on the market, after 2 years there were quite a lot, it was pretty bad. Not so with the K-S1 and K-S2 at all, nor the K70.

As I wrote, not a lot of used K-70's showed up in either USA, Europe etc. but only Japan, which as I mentioned "is a different cup of tea" and I am not going to exlain now how Japanese dealers work, this is of zero interest here because what really is of interest are real figures and your figures are complety wrong!
I have watched the market very closely and I think one should be very precise and do a good founded research if one brings tough claims as you did (based actually on zero evidence).

Also your claim that there is no way to tell now many K-70's are going to fail... yes, there is a way:
As the aperture mechanism is the same as in the K-S1 and K-S2 as well as the K-30 and K-50 and as there are hardly any failures with the K-S1 and K-S2 this is actually the way!
Maybe not your way but it is the simple way of statistics.
We don't know how many bodies where hit, but we can very well compare offers of defunct bodies and we can as you wrote: Read read and read! But we have to know how to read.

But if I am pissed about Pentax for whatever reason for I don't want to read nice things, I will search for the bad things... thats how it usually just works.
But this is not research then... but quite the opposite. No value in this.

Lastly I've been following the K70s for months and there been several here at USA camera shops that have had K70 with low shutter counts, some even stated that they have underexposure issues..
If somebody sells a K-70 on ebay it is offered "for parts" or "not working". One can search explicit for those.
I have done a search on ebay.com for completed (sold AND unsold) Pentax K bodies:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=12&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_ipg=...Condition=7000

There was not a single K-70 to be found!

I did a search for completed listenings of the K-70 alone:
16 x K-70 but none with any statement of underexposed issues!

I did a search worldwide for completed listenings of K-70's "for parts or not working":
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR7.TR...Sold=1&_ipg=50

None!

Last edited by photogem; 07-22-2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Search added
07-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #343
Pentaxian

Have a K-30, and had it fitted with a white solenoid "just in case" and it worked fine until I bought a K-70 (in full knowledge of the green solenoid question for that model!) in Jan from SRS (Watford, UK - Pentax Pro dealer and thus a 2yr warrantee) this year - and then bought a white solenoid for that "just in case" that's needed at the end of the warrantee (but I really hope it will never be needed)!

Last edited by jeallen01; 07-22-2019 at 03:00 PM.
07-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #344

My mistake wrong term "The sound is maybe a bit snappier" your right it sounds snappier them the green one did..

"I did a search worldwide for completed listenings of K-70's "for parts or not working": you're right as soon as the posted there gone the last one was posted 3 days ago and sold for over $400us in less than 12 hours, as I stated I've been following them !! and there have been a few listed that one has to read the details, which is a hassle..

If you get better pictures with the K-01 than with the K-50, I would guess that something is either wrong with your K-50

I think you're right again , I think it's dust or dirt , It doesn't appear to be or the mirror,, I haven't looked for the AF sensor , maybe you can point me to were it might be ??

When I used the word hardly on the K50 I've put over 4000 shots on it compared to the ~7000 shots I put on the K20, My Super Program has well over 10,000 , My buddy that passed and I would go out almost 40 {Some weekday evenings also.} or more weekends shooting 3 to 5 36+ rolls of film and developing it during the week, did that for some 5+ years, He did shot professionally at functions with his medium format cameras , and used his A-1 most times he came out with me.. The K-01 it's sad it's a great camera , and if I could find any complaint it would be how much clearer the pictures in reality as to the way the look on the LCD I'm sure it's not an issue with the camera ,, I think the K50 looks the same when using live-view which I use only when see thru the viewfinder which isn't very often !! I kind of tried to get the wife to use the K-01 she didn't like the feel of it and like me kept putting up to her eye,, old habits die hard or can't teach an old dog new tricks !!

"Japan, which as I mentioned "is a different cup of tea" and I am not going to exlain now how Japanese dealers work" and why is that ,, as far as I can see there selling the same used K70s as everybody else. So unless they stole them or got them illegally some how ,, how are they different cameras USA dealers that I searched are carrying used K70s with both low and high shutter counts , the only difference I see is that the USA vendors for the most part appear to be listing there K70s really close to there new K70 selling price point, (>$650 ) and the ones doing that have some of the highest prices for new K70s, so what would one pay over $600.00 for a used K70 when other are selling them new for under $600 ??

"Also your claim that there is no way to tell now many K-70's are going to fail... yes, there is a way:
As the aperture mechanism is the same as in the K-S1 and K-S2 as well as the K-30 and K-50 and as there are hardly any failures with the K-S1 and K-S2 this is actually the way!" Wrong only time well tell , and your logic is iffy at best 1st as I stated there have been no failures of the pre- K20 and as I stated the few I found were in the end blown off as some type of operator error !! So how many pre-k20 are there in there world , how long have they been out there ?? OK hardly means there ones that you know of !! How many don't you know of , one can only guess ,, how many years has been that the K-S1 and S2 been out ?? So if I did my math right 0/over who knows * time ,,I would say more than one is an issue,, especially when the issue has been found and can be easily corrected yet , Pentax has continued so that to mickey mouse a know bad part to work as a known good part.. I've worked for several large companies and a few small that did the same thing , and with time it cost them a bundle or there no longer in business !! I sure nobody will disagree that the new part is junk and more than one failure is to many..

"But if I am pissed about Pentax for whatever reason for I don't want to read nice things, I will search for the bad things... thats how it usually just works.
But this is not research then... but quite the opposite. No value in this." Maybe you're not pissed at Pentax ,, Yet I'm betting anybody that has had a K30 - K70 fail is. In fact if I was pissed at Pentax why would I be looking for a K70 ?? I was thinking of jumping ship not because of the aperture issues at the time I didn't even know there was a problem. The 2 reasons I almost jumped ship is 1. Is I been trying to get a used Sigma 4.5mm for Pentax mount ,, yet the only ones used for a good price appear to be Canon and Nikon I've seen both for under $500us a couple of times, Yet the Pentax mount 4.5mm there's been very few posted used and the ones posted are going at >$600us , new $699->$1,200, and less and less camera shops here in the USA are carrying Pentax mount lenses.. 2. Pentax has been gone how my local electronic shops for sometime now, and the very few camera shops left close to me that I can stop in and look around most times only has newer display models with no stock for sale , yet I noticed that it's not just Pentax,, it's most brands , one of the camera shops seems to be only carrying a few low end and a few high end models, mostly Nikons and 1 or 2 Canons , that was about a year ago and I don't even know if there still opened.. Hunt's and Abe's of Maine are most likely the closest open shops around me and both are >70 miles away.. Both great places to shop,, yet a little bit pricey (Have to be to keep the doors open in this market.) , they most times have what you're looking for or something the will work.. I'd say there are 3 reasons yet the third reason is why I stay with Pentax, the failure of the K50, I've only had have a few problems with any of my Pentax bodies and each time I was able to fixed the issue quickly and easily (My Super Program has taking so many beatings it isn't funny , it has dings , the white panel for the viewfinder LCD lighting is pushed in and epoxied from the outside, basically looks like crap, it's had beer dropped on it , been way out on the ocean with slat spray, beaches with sand and so much more.. People I know not as daring as I am have had problem with there cameras and sent them to be repair ,most times after getting them back trashed them,, most were out of warranty when they trashed them.. My buddies A-1 had a issue (If I remember it was something to do with the shutter , I think it was cloth and ripped.) Not sure if the shop repaired it or if it was sent to Canon ,, it worked fine when he got it back , he did comment that the black screws on the camera clearly looked like the camera was opened, it worked fine for many more years , my comment on the A-1 It's a tank compare to the Super Program,, big, heavy, loud,, yet a solid performer and the long shutter made for some interesting color shifts..

I did not post to argue with you !!
I should have asked what is the chances that I would purchase a faulted K70 used or new..

Because I'm sure my camera has had a problem for a while , I didn't notice it or as I stated I thought it was a metering glitch, over the last couple of years I mostly shot outside,, only a few shots,, yet it sat for sometime I was using go-pro clones it's small and people just don't seem to be intimidated as much, plus I use a Lytro (Mostly likely spelled wrong..) that I've been using,, odd camera at best,, anyway the week before the K50 went total, I was at a baseball game and the pictures came out good maybe one failure , the next week I went to a indoors birthday party and it crapped out at first I tough I had a setting screwed up because the light coming thru a window was overexposed as I expected it would be yet everything in the room was way underexposed.. It was the aperture issue.. I got home looked the problem up on the internet and came up with many posts about the issue, and because of several get post within a day my K50 was up and running ,, I believe it was your post that I found to be the best !! Yet I wish I would have read the "A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras." a little closer ,, I had asked on one of the forums if any of the 35mm bodies had the solenoid and I was told there was none , yet it appears that in this post or in the post about the history , it seems like it was stated that some have had some luck with one from a MZ,, Is that confirmed and does anybody know if that fix(es) are still working today ???

I posted so I could get a felling of what others thought about any K70 failing, I didn't expect to open several days of worms !! I was hoping for an option of what others tough about it ! I don't understand why you appear to be taking it so personally !! If I wanted to be personal and ask "how do you know what us going on at Pentax ,,You stated that Pentax couldn't use another manufacturer yet it appears to me the long over patent is in Ashii's (Pentax) name ,, I'm sure most would agree with me that if there's was years of NO documented online about any bodies pre-K30 and now there's even a few (As you state.) post-K20 failures the issues hasn't been corrected , at better companies I worked at If we had no failures and them started having failures the problem would not be considered fix until we were back to zero,, more times than not somebody in the financial chain found a part or process that was cheaper didn't understand why, didn't ask why, just did it !! It always amazed me that some poor person only doing there job or doing what they were told to do , getting the walk,, when most times the finger really pointed else were !! I asked about your resources only because the name of the company stated to make the parts still has the same white style part shown on there web site and one of my early jobs used to order samples of parts that engineers wanted (That's what my job was,,wish I could find a job like that today, it was a fun and cool job..) if I called and the manufactures representatives told me that the picture or ad was just a put on , those engineers would go out of there way not to use there products for wasting theirs and my time,, I could email them if you want me to, I'm betting that they would say they can still supply the part as it looks on there web site.. I don't know about the rest of the world yet in this country to advertise something you don't have is a crime,, False Advertising !! So I'm thinking maybe they just might keep the web site up to date ,,Just guessing ??

So you're wrong about about my feelings for Pentax ,, I've always put my Pentaxs up against other cameras , Size and handling is what I 1st. notice , followed by the lack of lenses and accessories they have , most camera companies change there mount with almost every series they come out with or so it seems. I am worried that Pentax is going to go out of business,, yet I have years of investment, I love my pentaxs , and have always had good thing so say about Pentax and cameras ,, what I am saying is that one body really knows for many have failed or how many will have (Real numbers no your guessing of the few failures you know of !!!) !!

I posted because I not as trusting as you are and I question how many cameras are listed because of this failure and my exact comment was there seems to be more used or per-owned K70s listing on Ebay them any other pentax and yes if I take out Japan (Which once again they don't have as many other used or pre-owned Pentaxs older cameras as K70s..) the number is smaller , yet if we exclude the whole world we will have not K70s failure which is what it appears you're trying to say,, As I stated show me real numbers !!

I know I didn't realize my camera was broken ,, how many people do you think don't know they have an issue or know they have am issue and just don't want to report it.. I don't know how it is in your country yet in this country most people who go out and by a nice camera , purchase it base on a event (Birthday, Birth, wedding , ETC.) and than it ends up in a closet or attic, and like myself when I purchase my 1st. camera ,, I wanted an A-1 just like my buddy , I knew nothing about SLRs and the salesman made many very good points about why the Pentax was better (And it just looked better than the A-1, Lighter,,) so I bought the Pentax Super Program, I on occasion thought I made a mistake ,, yet today I know it was the right option , and the reason for the post I was hoping to get an objective opinion on what the chances are of getting a problem camera.. What I'm not going to pay >600+ to purchase a new camera that I'm going to have to open.. Second I've had great luck with my used Pentax purchases.. so knowing what I know now and having let a few slip thru my hands , I'd purchase a K70 with the aperture issue, it appears I'm not the only one who is willing to open a camera !!

Trust: do I really think somebody would list something that was broken as not !! Well I would hope not , yet some may not know, and at the camera stores a lot of times they take in a trade from somebody upgrading so I'm sure sometimes things get missed and maybe some tech.s just don't know what to look for so , I don't think that has anything to do with trust and yes I've gotten used items that have an issue or to and most times it was just missed.. Saying that I'd be foolish to think that it couldn't happen..

Lastly , I to think Pentax is close to doom , It's sad yet I don't think it's only Pentax ,, It appears that Nikon posted lower earnings this week,, bummer ! It looks to me like DSLRs are going the way of the 8 track tape, I wondering if there will still be a 3 camera market,,

So after all this , I still don't have an answer to my question ,, asked the correct way , and now it turned into 2 questions !!

1. Now that it isn't as important ,, what do you all think this chances of getting a new or used K70 that has the aperture issues ??
2. If you purchased a K70 used and it didn't appear to have the problem , would you replaced the green solenoid as soon as you got the camera or would you wait until you have issues ??

Jeallen01, I don't want to drag you in this , yet it appears I'm not the only one who thinks that Pentax don't have a handle on this.. Maybe others have the same concern ?? Speak up or it will never be known..

photogem: It's clear your knowledge of the insides for Pentax cameras (Maybe others.) far exceeds mine, and that's not hard to do when it comes to camera's.. I now have open a total of like five cameras and fixed a couple of point and shoots by pounding the lenses to there in position , not very scientific, yet it appears to work.. {saw some wacko do it on UT..well I guess that makes me a wacko for trying it..}.. Not important , yet any idea why so many P&Ss seem to do that , is it something to do with the batteries dying ?? Anyhow I have questions on the K50 AF, a question on another K-01, and on focusing screens mostly Pentax brand and questions about what there made of.. I've read some of the post here on focusing screens yet have additional question that maybe others will or can chime in.. I'm only asking for your opinion as any for my bosses would tell you I always try to find the most and quickest information about something I can.. I'm thinking on the K50 and K-01 questions I should start a new post , If you know of a post talking about the focus system of the K50 or any that are the same please point me to it. The K-01 it's more of a is repair possible or is the body junk / parts I didn't look a lot but it appears nobody else has had the problem.. The focusing screen should I start a new post ?? I don't want to railroad somebody posts..

photogem Even though it may seem like I'm trying to beat on you I'm not ,, It's the one thing mostly bosses, everybody loves and hates about me is I asked questions and go out for my way to insure there true ,, I a ball in sales meetings !! and fellow engineers always tell me how much they love it when " Do you have documentation or someplace I can look it up.." Once in a while I find oddities like in a MOS-FET datebook I found a timeline that showed that there was very few failures of this part , I mean like 1 out of a 1m, yet I notice the timeline ended with the words "The end of time.." yet the data sheet clearly stated that the devices was rated at like 1 billion switchings norm. and 5 billion max. tpy. We were using the FET in a 1 MHZ switching power supply , I didn't do the math but it was clear to all of us the at 1 mhz. 5 billion isn't very long.. So I asked the sales engineer "how can a timeline be to the end of time when the part is only rated for 1 billion switches,, he told me he would get back to me about it, 36+ years later I'm still waiting.. So please don't take it personal,, It's just a camera and I would like to get the whole story from somebody at Pentax (It's not going to happen so your the next best thing..).. So I thank you once again for with out all your posts with history is the only reason a lot of us have working Pentaxs.. Believe me I wish there like yourself for other of issue I've had !! P.S I'm hoping my other questions aren't so controversial and we can keep them to a couple of small posts

DEM
07-24-2019, 01:04 AM   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My mistake wrong term "The sound is maybe a bit snappier" your right it sounds snappier them the green one did..

"I did a search worldwide for completed listenings of K-70's "for parts or not working": you're right as soon as the posted there gone the last one was posted 3 days ago and sold for over $400us in less than 12 hours, as I stated I've been following them !! and there have been a few listed that one has to read the details, which is a hassle..

I think you're right again , I think it's dust or dirt , It doesn't appear to be or the mirror,, I haven't looked for the AF sensor , maybe you can point me to were it might be ??

When I used the word hardly on the K50 I've put over 4000 shots on it compared to the ~7000 shots I put on the K20, My Super Program has well over 10,000 , My buddy that passed and I would go out almost 40 {Some weekday evenings also.} or more weekends shooting 3 to 5 36+ rolls of film and developing it during the week, did that for some 5+ years, He did shot professionally at functions with his medium format cameras , and used his A-1 most times he came out with me.. The K-01 it's sad it's a great camera , and if I could find any complaint it would be how much clearer the pictures in reality as to the way the look on the LCD I'm sure it's not an issue with the camera ,, I think the K50 looks the same when using live-view which I use only when see thru the viewfinder which isn't very often !! I kind of tried to get the wife to use the K-01 she didn't like the feel of it and like me kept putting up to her eye,, old habits die hard or can't teach an old dog new tricks !!

"Japan, which as I mentioned "is a different cup of tea" and I am not going to exlain now how Japanese dealers work" and why is that ,, as far as I can see there selling the same used K70s as everybody else. So unless they stole them or got them illegally some how ,, how are they different cameras USA dealers that I searched are carrying used K70s with both low and high shutter counts , the only difference I see is that the USA vendors for the most part appear to be listing there K70s really close to there new K70 selling price point, (>$650 ) and the ones doing that have some of the highest prices for new K70s, so what would one pay over $600.00 for a used K70 when other are selling them new for under $600 ??

"Also your claim that there is no way to tell now many K-70's are going to fail... yes, there is a way:
As the aperture mechanism is the same as in the K-S1 and K-S2 as well as the K-30 and K-50 and as there are hardly any failures with the K-S1 and K-S2 this is actually the way!" Wrong only time well tell , and your logic is iffy at best 1st as I stated there have been no failures of the pre- K20 and as I stated the few I found were in the end blown off as some type of operator error !! So how many pre-k20 are there in there world , how long have they been out there ?? OK hardly means there ones that you know of !! How many don't you know of , one can only guess ,, how many years has been that the K-S1 and S2 been out ?? So if I did my math right 0/over who knows * time ,,I would say more than one is an issue,, especially when the issue has been found and can be easily corrected yet , Pentax has continued so that to mickey mouse a know bad part to work as a known good part.. I've worked for several large companies and a few small that did the same thing , and with time it cost them a bundle or there no longer in business !! I sure nobody will disagree that the new part is junk and more than one failure is to many..

"But if I am pissed about Pentax for whatever reason for I don't want to read nice things, I will search for the bad things... thats how it usually just works.
But this is not research then... but quite the opposite. No value in this." Maybe you're not pissed at Pentax ,, Yet I'm betting anybody that has had a K30 - K70 fail is. In fact if I was pissed at Pentax why would I be looking for a K70 ?? I was thinking of jumping ship not because of the aperture issues at the time I didn't even know there was a problem. The 2 reasons I almost jumped ship is 1. Is I been trying to get a used Sigma 4.5mm for Pentax mount ,, yet the only ones used for a good price appear to be Canon and Nikon I've seen both for under $500us a couple of times, Yet the Pentax mount 4.5mm there's been very few posted used and the ones posted are going at >$600us , new $699->$1,200, and less and less camera shops here in the USA are carrying Pentax mount lenses.. 2. Pentax has been gone how my local electronic shops for sometime now, and the very few camera shops left close to me that I can stop in and look around most times only has newer display models with no stock for sale , yet I noticed that it's not just Pentax,, it's most brands , one of the camera shops seems to be only carrying a few low end and a few high end models, mostly Nikons and 1 or 2 Canons , that was about a year ago and I don't even know if there still opened.. Hunt's and Abe's of Maine are most likely the closest open shops around me and both are >70 miles away.. Both great places to shop,, yet a little bit pricey (Have to be to keep the doors open in this market.) , they most times have what you're looking for or something the will work.. I'd say there are 3 reasons yet the third reason is why I stay with Pentax, the failure of the K50, I've only had have a few problems with any of my Pentax bodies and each time I was able to fixed the issue quickly and easily (My Super Program has taking so many beatings it isn't funny , it has dings , the white panel for the viewfinder LCD lighting is pushed in and epoxied from the outside, basically looks like crap, it's had beer dropped on it , been way out on the ocean with slat spray, beaches with sand and so much more.. People I know not as daring as I am have had problem with there cameras and sent them to be repair ,most times after getting them back trashed them,, most were out of warranty when they trashed them.. My buddies A-1 had a issue (If I remember it was something to do with the shutter , I think it was cloth and ripped.) Not sure if the shop repaired it or if it was sent to Canon ,, it worked fine when he got it back , he did comment that the black screws on the camera clearly looked like the camera was opened, it worked fine for many more years , my comment on the A-1 It's a tank compare to the Super Program,, big, heavy, loud,, yet a solid performer and the long shutter made for some interesting color shifts..

I did not post to argue with you !!
I should have asked what is the chances that I would purchase a faulted K70 used or new..

Because I'm sure my camera has had a problem for a while , I didn't notice it or as I stated I thought it was a metering glitch, over the last couple of years I mostly shot outside,, only a few shots,, yet it sat for sometime I was using go-pro clones it's small and people just don't seem to be intimidated as much, plus I use a Lytro (Mostly likely spelled wrong..) that I've been using,, odd camera at best,, anyway the week before the K50 went total, I was at a baseball game and the pictures came out good maybe one failure , the next week I went to a indoors birthday party and it crapped out at first I tough I had a setting screwed up because the light coming thru a window was overexposed as I expected it would be yet everything in the room was way underexposed.. It was the aperture issue.. I got home looked the problem up on the internet and came up with many posts about the issue, and because of several get post within a day my K50 was up and running ,, I believe it was your post that I found to be the best !! Yet I wish I would have read the "A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras." a little closer ,, I had asked on one of the forums if any of the 35mm bodies had the solenoid and I was told there was none , yet it appears that in this post or in the post about the history , it seems like it was stated that some have had some luck with one from a MZ,, Is that confirmed and does anybody know if that fix(es) are still working today ???

I posted so I could get a felling of what others thought about any K70 failing, I didn't expect to open several days of worms !! I was hoping for an option of what others tough about it ! I don't understand why you appear to be taking it so personally !! If I wanted to be personal and ask "how do you know what us going on at Pentax ,,You stated that Pentax couldn't use another manufacturer yet it appears to me the long over patent is in Ashii's (Pentax) name ,, I'm sure most would agree with me that if there's was years of NO documented online about any bodies pre-K30 and now there's even a few (As you state.) post-K20 failures the issues hasn't been corrected , at better companies I worked at If we had no failures and them started having failures the problem would not be considered fix until we were back to zero,, more times than not somebody in the financial chain found a part or process that was cheaper didn't understand why, didn't ask why, just did it !! It always amazed me that some poor person only doing there job or doing what they were told to do , getting the walk,, when most times the finger really pointed else were !! I asked about your resources only because the name of the company stated to make the parts still has the same white style part shown on there web site and one of my early jobs used to order samples of parts that engineers wanted (That's what my job was,,wish I could find a job like that today, it was a fun and cool job..) if I called and the manufactures representatives told me that the picture or ad was just a put on , those engineers would go out of there way not to use there products for wasting theirs and my time,, I could email them if you want me to, I'm betting that they would say they can still supply the part as it looks on there web site.. I don't know about the rest of the world yet in this country to advertise something you don't have is a crime,, False Advertising !! So I'm thinking maybe they just might keep the web site up to date ,,Just guessing ??

So you're wrong about about my feelings for Pentax ,, I've always put my Pentaxs up against other cameras , Size and handling is what I 1st. notice , followed by the lack of lenses and accessories they have , most camera companies change there mount with almost every series they come out with or so it seems. I am worried that Pentax is going to go out of business,, yet I have years of investment, I love my pentaxs , and have always had good thing so say about Pentax and cameras ,, what I am saying is that one body really knows for many have failed or how many will have (Real numbers no your guessing of the few failures you know of !!!) !!

I posted because I not as trusting as you are and I question how many cameras are listed because of this failure and my exact comment was there seems to be more used or per-owned K70s listing on Ebay them any other pentax and yes if I take out Japan (Which once again they don't have as many other used or pre-owned Pentaxs older cameras as K70s..) the number is smaller , yet if we exclude the whole world we will have not K70s failure which is what it appears you're trying to say,, As I stated show me real numbers !!

I know I didn't realize my camera was broken ,, how many people do you think don't know they have an issue or know they have am issue and just don't want to report it.. I don't know how it is in your country yet in this country most people who go out and by a nice camera , purchase it base on a event (Birthday, Birth, wedding , ETC.) and than it ends up in a closet or attic, and like myself when I purchase my 1st. camera ,, I wanted an A-1 just like my buddy , I knew nothing about SLRs and the salesman made many very good points about why the Pentax was better (And it just looked better than the A-1, Lighter,,) so I bought the Pentax Super Program, I on occasion thought I made a mistake ,, yet today I know it was the right option , and the reason for the post I was hoping to get an objective opinion on what the chances are of getting a problem camera.. What I'm not going to pay >600+ to purchase a new camera that I'm going to have to open.. Second I've had great luck with my used Pentax purchases.. so knowing what I know now and having let a few slip thru my hands , I'd purchase a K70 with the aperture issue, it appears I'm not the only one who is willing to open a camera !!

Trust: do I really think somebody would list something that was broken as not !! Well I would hope not , yet some may not know, and at the camera stores a lot of times they take in a trade from somebody upgrading so I'm sure sometimes things get missed and maybe some tech.s just don't know what to look for so , I don't think that has anything to do with trust and yes I've gotten used items that have an issue or to and most times it was just missed.. Saying that I'd be foolish to think that it couldn't happen..

Lastly , I to think Pentax is close to doom , It's sad yet I don't think it's only Pentax ,, It appears that Nikon posted lower earnings this week,, bummer ! It looks to me like DSLRs are going the way of the 8 track tape, I wondering if there will still be a 3 camera market,,

So after all this , I still don't have an answer to my question ,, asked the correct way , and now it turned into 2 questions !!

1. Now that it isn't as important ,, what do you all think this chances of getting a new or used K70 that has the aperture issues ??
2. If you purchased a K70 used and it didn't appear to have the problem , would you replaced the green solenoid as soon as you got the camera or would you wait until you have issues ??

Jeallen01, I don't want to drag you in this , yet it appears I'm not the only one who thinks that Pentax don't have a handle on this.. Maybe others have the same concern ?? Speak up or it will never be known..

photogem: It's clear your knowledge of the insides for Pentax cameras (Maybe others.) far exceeds mine, and that's not hard to do when it comes to camera's.. I now have open a total of like five cameras and fixed a couple of point and shoots by pounding the lenses to there in position , not very scientific, yet it appears to work.. {saw some wacko do it on UT..well I guess that makes me a wacko for trying it..}.. Not important , yet any idea why so many P&Ss seem to do that , is it something to do with the batteries dying ?? Anyhow I have questions on the K50 AF, a question on another K-01, and on focusing screens mostly Pentax brand and questions about what there made of.. I've read some of the post here on focusing screens yet have additional question that maybe others will or can chime in.. I'm only asking for your opinion as any for my bosses would tell you I always try to find the most and quickest information about something I can.. I'm thinking on the K50 and K-01 questions I should start a new post , If you know of a post talking about the focus system of the K50 or any that are the same please point me to it. The K-01 it's more of a is repair possible or is the body junk / parts I didn't look a lot but it appears nobody else has had the problem.. The focusing screen should I start a new post ?? I don't want to railroad somebody posts..

photogem Even though it may seem like I'm trying to beat on you I'm not ,, It's the one thing mostly bosses, everybody loves and hates about me is I asked questions and go out for my way to insure there true ,, I a ball in sales meetings !! and fellow engineers always tell me how much they love it when " Do you have documentation or someplace I can look it up.." Once in a while I find oddities like in a MOS-FET datebook I found a timeline that showed that there was very few failures of this part , I mean like 1 out of a 1m, yet I notice the timeline ended with the words "The end of time.." yet the data sheet clearly stated that the devices was rated at like 1 billion switchings norm. and 5 billion max. tpy. We were using the FET in a 1 MHZ switching power supply , I didn't do the math but it was clear to all of us the at 1 mhz. 5 billion isn't very long.. So I asked the sales engineer "how can a timeline be to the end of time when the part is only rated for 1 billion switches,, he told me he would get back to me about it, 36+ years later I'm still waiting.. So please don't take it personal,, It's just a camera and I would like to get the whole story from somebody at Pentax (It's not going to happen so your the next best thing..).. So I thank you once again for with out all your posts with history is the only reason a lot of us have working Pentaxs.. Believe me I wish there like yourself for other of issue I've had !! P.S I'm hoping my other questions aren't so controversial and we can keep them to a couple of small posts

DEM
I think a few important things are important:

- to quote proberly, the way you quote makes a mess of the mess-ages
- to cuts things short.... leave all the unnecessary out... keep it precise

quoting goes like this:
As I wrote, not a lot of used K-70's showed up in either USA, Europe etc. but only Japan, which as I mentioned "is a different cup of tea" and I am not going to exlain now how Japanese dealers work, this is of zero interest here because what really is of interest are real figures and your figures are complety wrong!
...... and why is that ,, as far as I can see there selling the same used K70s as everybody else. So unless they stole them or got them illegally some how ,, how are they different cameras USA dealers that I searched are carrying used K70s with both low and high shutter counts , the only difference I see is that the USA vendors for the most part appear to be listing there K70s really close to there new K70 selling price point, (>$650 ) and the ones doing that have some of the highest prices for new K70s, so what would one pay over $600.00 for a used K70 when other are selling them new for under $600 ??
so everybody reading here can understand very clear which is the quote (or as I did it the previous quote as well) and then you answer.

My answer here is pretty simply a repetition of what I wrote before:
It is of zero interest here..... and I add: "time consuming ... endless babble"