Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K30 overexposure problems

So I'm getting kind of frustrated with this K30. It seems to consistently overexpose shots in bright, outdoor conditions. No matter which mode I choose, it does this. The worst is TAv mode, in which it insists on extremely slow shutter speeds, as in several seconds, regardless of what I specify. But even in green mode, it chooses an inappropriate exposure. I get similar results regardless of the lens being used. Is there a way to calibrate it?

02-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is your camera suffering from the aperture block failure?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

According to your description, you get unreasonably long exposures regardless of the shutter speed you set. Can you confirm?

Steve
02-25-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Steve--that would be correct. I am getting unreasonably long exposures.
Adam--How would I know if I were experiencing an aperture block failure? Would I see an error message to that effect? I haven't seen any error messages.

I'm not getting the black frames associated with aperture block failure; rather, the visual effect is more of a 'white-out'.

Last edited by E-man; 02-25-2017 at 10:18 PM.
02-25-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Double check that you didnʻt accidentally set the Exposure Compensation EV+/- to plus something. In all manual, with EV compensation at 0.0, it is over-exposing? Using a linear polarizer? If you could post an example with the EXIF metadata, that would help. Also, does this happen with more than one lens?
02-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Adam--How would I know if I were experiencing an aperture block failure? Would I see an error message to that effect? I haven't seen any error messages.
Aperture Block Failure usually results in an overly dark image, but I'm not positive that is always the case.
The root issue in that case is that the camera doesn't actually use the aperture it says it is using; here is is basic description
Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Read me first! - PentaxForums.com

Do you have some other way of determining correct exposure - even better, of taking a picture? Alex645 has several good suggestions, also.
02-25-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So, in TAv mode you might set for f/5.6 and 1/125s and you would get several second exposure? The same should also happen in M mode. That would indicate a problem with the shutter or its controller.

Steve

02-26-2017, 04:08 AM   #8
Forum Member

If the camera (the brain) suggests long (unreasonable) exposures and it executes it accordingly then there shouldn't be mechanical problem. Something is wrong with the metering.
When did this start? Has is started recently and abruptly? Has the camera experienced shock prior this revelation?

What changes when you change between spot, center, evaluative metering? As suggested above - what is your exposure comp value?
02-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've only had the camera for about three weeks and it's been this way ever since I've had it. As far as I can tell, the exposure comp value is set to zero. While it consistently blows out the exposures in bright light, it conversely does do reasonably well metering exposures in low light situations.
02-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

Ok - you bought it new or second hand?
And what happens when you switch between metering modes?
02-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought it second hand, approximately 26,000 shutter actuations. When I switch between metering modes, the rear screen briefly displays which mode it's in with along with a brief explanation of that mode before displaying the status screen. Much of what's on the screen flashes on and off for several seconds before settling down to be steadily on. In addition, the mirror locks up upon entering movie mode and locks down into its normal position upon exiting movie mode.
02-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought it second hand, approximately 26,000 shutter actuations. When I switch between metering modes, the rear screen briefly displays which mode it's in with along with a brief explanation of that mode before displaying the status screen. Much of what's on the screen flashes on and off for several seconds before settling down to be steadily on. In addition, the mirror locks up upon entering movie mode and locks down into its normal position upon exiting movie mode.
The K-30 should be fine to at least 50,000 or more actuations and everything youʻve described here is normal. In movie mode, it uses LiveView and the mirror must lock up to shoot video.

Again, try more than one lens, and if that doesnʻt seem to make a difference, post a outdoor day shot and show the EXIF metadata. Set the camera to Manual exposure mode (M) at ISO 125, f/16 @ 1/125" (sunny 16 rule). If itʻs hazy sun then ISO 125, f/11 @ 1/125", bright cloudy day ISO 125 f/8 @1/125", or in the open shade on a sunny day ISO 125 f/5.6 @ 1/125".

Are you suspecting the light meter is off or the shutter speed or aperture is not doing what it says it should be?
02-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Are you suspecting the light meter is off or the shutter speed or aperture is not doing what it says it should be?
That is the $50,000,000 question. In the original post it was stated that exposures in TAv were much longer (several seconds) than the set shutter speed. Normally that would indicate a hardware issue (shutter or shutter controller) issue. Despite that, the discussion has centered on potential metering issues.

Steve
02-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is there a way to calibrate it?
Any sample images with exif?
02-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is the $50,000,000 question. In the original post it was stated that exposures in TAv were much longer (several seconds) than the set shutter speed. Normally that would indicate a hardware issue (shutter or shutter controller) issue. Despite that, the discussion has centered on potential metering issues.

Steve
Too many variables IMO with TAv and before trying to troubleshoot the CPU, might be best to start with M. If OP sets it at 1/500" and he's obviously getting 1/5" blur, then we have confirmation the shutter is too slow.

On the other hand if the meter is telling him in daylight on a sunny day that a normal exposure is 1/5" @ f/16 with ISO 100, then we know it's the light meter.

Examples with EXIF metadata would help us to help OP.