Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Intervalometer with mirror lock up or self timer

I'm trying to find the best way to take a series of long exposure (30s and above) astro pictures with my K30.

As I understand, the build in intervalometer disables any drive mode options so it always operates with mirror slap (plus it's limited to 30s). There is no dedicated mirror lock up mode on the K-30 but the mirror does go up early with the 2s self-timer and 3s IR remote mode.

Does the cable release work in conjunction with the self timer drive mode and bulb mode? I could then use one of the ebay intervalometers with this to have interval shooting with mirror lock up.

Thanks

04-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ekip Quote
Does the cable release work in conjunction with the self timer drive mode and bulb mode? I could then use one of the ebay intervalometers with this to have interval shooting with mirror lock up.
A cabled intervalometer works as if the shutter button were depressed manually. You can use the 2s self-timer to put the mirror up for each exposure.* Be sure to figure the delay in when calculating your intervals. Also take care that the unit you choose supports timing exposure length in B as well as the interval between shots. Because of that element of uncertainty, I suggest buying an intervalometer from an established merchant with an easy return policy. I got my full-featured cable remote/intervalometer from Adorama. My review here at Pentax Forums is at the link below:

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Again, the interval must be longer than: 2s delay + exposure time + time to process and save to the SD card

Remember to turn OFF Slow Shutter Speed NR to disable background subtract. Remember too that B mode should be set to type 1 (open on press, close on release) when using a wired remote.

Steve

* I am not sure, but I believe that you should be able to use the 2s mirror up with the built-in interval feature on your K-30 for other than B exposures. Edit: Nope!

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-07-2017 at 10:21 AM.
04-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm wondering what effect mirror slap would have on an exposure of 30 seconds or more?
04-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I'm wondering what effect mirror slap would have on an exposure of 30 seconds or more?
With landscapes, very little...with stars, probably somewhat more, though it is best to test that sort of thing.

Steve

04-07-2017, 05:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

I've got a cheap Chinese intervalometer called EZa. It's actually quite good except that it cannot be turned off completely and this eats batteries, which I resolved by putting a piece of paper between one battery and the contact and only removing it when I use the thing.

This said, it can be used for what you want. It's possible to set the camera (tested on K-50) to B and the drive mode to 2s self timer. Then, you have to add these 2 secs to the time the intervalometer should open the shutter, eg set it to 32 secs to get 30 secs of exposure. That's it.

Basically, like stevebrot said, the remote plug is just an extension of the shutter button, a switch attached there controls the camera as would the shutter button when depressed fully, and the camera is agnostic if this is just a primitive cabled switch or an intervalometer.
04-07-2017, 05:34 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A cabled intervalometer works as if the shutter button were depressed manually. You can use the 2s self-timer to put the mirror up for each exposure.* Be sure to figure the delay in when calculating your intervals. Also take care that the unit you choose supports timing exposure length in B as well as the interval between shots. Because of that element of uncertainty, I suggest buying an intervalometer from an established merchant with an easy return policy. I got my full-featured cable remote/intervalometer from Adorama. My review here at Pentax Forums is at the link below:

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Again, the interval must be longer than: 2s delay + exposure time + time to process and save to the SD card

Remember to turn OFF Slow Shutter Speed NR to disable background subtract. Remember too that B mode should be set to type 1 (open on press, close on release) when using a wired remote.

Steve

* I am not sure, but I believe that you should be able to use the 2s mirror up with the built-in interval feature on your K-30 for other than B exposures.
Thanks for the detailed info. The self timer is definitely disabled for me when using the build in intervalometer, it switches to single shot and greys out saying "This function is not available in the current mode" if you try to change it.

I just saw a review on Amazon for the Bower amazon.com: Don Phipps' review of Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release...?tag=pentaxforums-20& and the guy says that the shutter is only half-pressed for the duration of the LONG setting instead of fully pressed when using it with his pentax. It's hard to find out about these things since apparently there is no manual and reviewers skip over the LONG setting.
04-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ekip Quote
I just saw a review on Amazon for the Bower amazon.com: Don Phipps' review of Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release...?tag=pentaxforums-20& and the guy says that the shutter is only half-pressed for the duration of the LONG setting instead of fully pressed when using it with his pentax. It's hard to find out about these things since apparently there is no manual and reviewers skip over the LONG setting.
I just finished reading his review and then got out my Bower to double check the behavior with my K-3. Here are my comments:
  • Mine came with a manual, though Bower does not have download from their site. The manual sucks.
  • The unit supports both half and full press from the main release button
  • Intervalometer functions are pretty standard:
    • Delay: Time before start of first interval.
    • Long: Shutter press duration (set to zero for instantaneous)
    • Interval: The length of the interval between shutter presses
    • N: The number of intervals to perform
  • Intervalometer shutter is full-press except as explained below
  • Behavior is predictable, but with an undocumented feature. For intervals longer than 3 seconds, half-press is done for the final 3 seconds. This feature is very cool in that it will wake up the camera and activate AF and AE if either are enabled.
I can only speculate about the cause of Don Phipps' difficulties. I suspect either user error, something subtle with camera/intervalometer settings, or a defective unit. FWIW, I originally bought my RCLC1R for use with my K10D for timed exposures longer than 30s and for interval work. That camera lacks a built-in intervalometer.

Steve

04-08-2017, 05:50 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, you've been very helpful.