Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
intervalometers in bulb mode

I have a K-50 which has an internal interval shooting feature which, if I understand correctly from the manual, is not available in Bulb Mode.... meaning I can't use it for longer exposures in night photography. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

If I buy an intervalometer ( Neewer, or any other...) will it fonction in B Mode?

Please forgive my confusion... I didn't know anything about photography three and half months ago... but I'm right into it now!

Just need a few clarifications about technical issues once in a while...

Thanks!

04-09-2017, 01:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Correct, the K-50's interval shooting mode doesn't work for bulb exposures. Newer cameras do have an interval composite mode that solves this issue, though you can technically get around it on the K-50 simply by stacking multiple 30-second exposures. This could potentially be better in case the camera runs out of power or otherwise fails during the shooting. Software such as starstax makes this pretty easy.

And yes, you can also use an intervalometer connected to the cable release port.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by françois Quote
If I buy an intervalometer ( Neewer, or any other...) will it fonction in B Mode?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The short answer is yes, it should. As a wired remote, its actions are the same as a press on the shutter button. I bought the Bower RCLC1R variant (the Neewer model is very similar) at Adorama several years ago for B-mode shooting and it works great. I added a comment on a recent thread that describes how mine behaves in some detail, should you be interested.

Intervalometer with mirror lock up or self timer - PentaxForums.com

Other look-alike units may behave somewhat differently. Simple timed exposures are easy to set up. Interval shooting requires some forethought, but that is half the fun. BTW, there is also my review of the Bower unit on this site:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/bower-lcd-timer-remote-shutter...el-rclc1r.html

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-09-2017 at 07:41 AM.
04-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, remember to enjoy the learning bit too, it's part of the fun.

04-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Correct, the K-50's interval shooting mode doesn't work for bulb exposures. Newer cameras do have an interval composite mode that solves this issue, though you can technically get around it on the K-50 simply by stacking multiple 30-second exposures. This could potentially be better in case the camera runs out of power or otherwise fails during the shooting. Software such as starstax makes this pretty easy.

And yes, you can also use an intervalometer connected to the cable release port.
Thank you so much for your reply! I will surely try stacking!