Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax O-FC1 Flu Card with K-30?

This looks interesting. Basically giving a camera the same kind of capture and transfer controls as a GoPro. But... now that it's been out a bunch of years, and has been updated a bit... how does it really work? Does it work with a K-30 (I doubt a K-01 will work), or will I need to "upgrade" ("sidegrade"?) to a K-S1? Interested in leaving the camera on in a group therapy room, and recording video of lectures and also individual therapy sessions for clinical supervision. The wifi control and data transfer will be very useful, and I'll be happy if it works even half as well as the GoPro Hero 5. The Pentax is going to have much, much better low light capabilty, and much smaller video file sizes. (Go Pro is really overkill for my usage). The only thing I'd really miss about the GoPro setup is the external microphone.

Thoughts?

Charles.

04-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

When launched it was said to be for '..K3 and future models..', and that includes the K-S1, but not, afaik, the K-30.
04-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Okay, well there's a dirt cheap K-S1 with a 16GB FluCard on woot.com right now, and I'm considering it. How is the operation of the card now that time has passed and driver updates and apps have been written? Still dog slow?

Charles.
04-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The card will work for photo storage (just like any other card), and you'll be able to wirelessly view the photos on it. However, you won't be able to wirelessly control the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The card will work for photo storage (just like any other card), and you'll be able to wirelessly view the photos on it. However, you won't be able to wirelessly control the camera.
With pre-K3 models, there's no advantage to using the Pentax card rather than one of the other Flucards by the original manufacturer...you'll be able to view images, but not control the camera. So if the first function is of interest, get whichever card is cheaper, not the Pentax one in particular.
04-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And to clarify, to O-FC1 is only meant for the K-3, K-3 II, K-S1, and 645Z. All later models support Image Sync over WiFi and are not compatible with the O-FC1's remote control feature.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: