Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Wait time to change shutter speed between shots

I'm sorry, I think this has been answered before on the forum but I can't find the thread.

I'm shooting in TV mode, fixed ISO, on a K50, and find that if I take a photo, then want to change shutter speed (using front scroll wheel) to take the same photo again straight away with different aperture (say, to get same photo with different depth of field), I have to wait a ridiculous amount of time before I can make a change. I'm sure I read somewhere that this is something to do with changing the screen settings, but can't for the life of me work it out. I've resorted to switching the camera off/on to get around this, but there has to be a setting somewhere.

Any help would be gratefully received.

04-16-2017, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can't change settings while the instant review is displaying. You can either turn off or shorten the instant review, or briefly half depress the shutter to go back to capture mode after taking the shot.
04-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You have to wait for the quick review. (Wich shows the image taken immediatly without interaction.) You can turn it off in the menu or reduce the time I think.
04-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick dab on the shutter release when the image appears on the rear screen will remove the image and allow you to change settings - at least it does in the K-3II.

04-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
You can't change settings while the instant review is displaying. You can either turn off or shorten the instant review, or briefly half depress the shutter to go back to capture mode after taking the shot.
What he said....

"I don't bl**dy believe it !"
04-17-2017, 04:00 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi all, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I was optimistic when you all suggested the same solution, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue. I came to the conclusion that the camera would not change settings until the info display on the rear screen went blank. I decided to change different parameters and see if it came good, and after changing from multi-shot to single shot I was able to change my shutter speed immediately after taking a photo. The really frustrating thing is that switching back to multi shot has not made the issue come back. I have now successfully changed shutter speed straight after taking a photo with exactly the settings I had previously - instant review set to 3 seconds, and multi-shot switched on.

I suppose this is the drawback of taking photos with a small computer with a lens clipped on the front of it!!

I will see how it goes. Cheers all.
04-17-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it possible that, when you were in multi-shot drive the first time, you were experiencing the camera writing out the buffer for a second or two after the last shot in a burst before the menu/controls became active again? The orange light on the rear should be illuminated during this time. On my K-50, particularly if my drive is set to multi-shot Hi, a large burst can take a few seconds to write out, during whichever time the screen is blank and controls unavailable.

This delay can be affected by the write speed of your SD card, FWIW.

-Jonathan

04-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jhankins Quote
Is it possible that, when you were in multi-shot drive the first time, you were experiencing the camera writing out the buffer for a second or two after the last shot in a burst before the menu/controls became active again? The orange light on the rear should be illuminated during this time. On my K-50, particularly if my drive is set to multi-shot Hi, a large burst can take a few seconds to write out, during whichever time the screen is blank and controls unavailable.

This delay can be affected by the write speed of your SD card, FWIW.

-Jonathan
Thanks for the suggestion Jonathan, that sounds like a possible cause. I will have another play as soon as I get a chance. I did try to get a fast SD card, so I would hope it isn't the SD card causing the problem, but you never know. Certainly the blinking orange light seems to ring bells, I think I may have spotted that.