View Poll Results: Which Camera to buy
K-70 526.32%
K-3ii 1473.68%
Used K-S2 210.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2017, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Surasami, dont go the k70 road, it probably do the same, seems that its built on the K30 chassis. I would go for at least a K5ii or K3, different and very rugged chassis..

04-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Upgrade to K-70 or Get a Oly E-M10 Mark II? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

Reading that thread made me think may be should consider mirrorless.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II Camera with 14-42mm II R and 40-150mm R Lenses, Black V207051BU010

This full frame Sony is an interesting option too
Sony Alpha a7 Digital Camera with FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens & Free Accessories ILCE7K/B A
04-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

If you decide to go mirrorless, I would recommend you a Panasonic Lumix, cuz Sony E mount lenses are very expensive and MFT are pretty cheap
04-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Checked out Panasonic G7 at Best Buy last 2 days, so far wife and I like it, very good grip and feel, seems to have very good reviews. Noise is also very well controlled. Have FZ4, very fast camera, may be should look into switching..

04-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still couldn't leave Pentax camp, went to Samy's camera yesterday and tried out the K-3ii. Wow it feels comfortable to hold and not that heavy at all when compared to similar Canikons. Tried few shots with it and my K50 with the shop lighting, K50 seems to have better picture quality. Of course the K3ii I didn't change settings to my liking, not sure what all changes in settings it went thru in the shop. One thing I felt was the Canon 5D was faster in acquiring focus with its 50mm lens than the K3ii with the 50mm f1.8 lens, slow screw drive motor?

Also tried the Olympus OM-D E-M10, nice, fast, but seems to have more noise than my K50.

Found a Used K3 with 18-135 lens for a real good deal. Should I take the K3 over the K3ii?
04-23-2017, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
Still couldn't leave Pentax camp, went to Samy's camera yesterday and tried out the K-3ii. Wow it feels comfortable to hold and not that heavy at all when compared to similar Canikons. Tried few shots with it and my K50 with the shop lighting, K50 seems to have better picture quality. Of course the K3ii I didn't change settings to my liking, not sure what all changes in settings it went thru in the shop. One thing I felt was the Canon 5D was faster in acquiring focus with its 50mm lens than the K3ii with the 50mm f1.8 lens, slow screw drive motor?

Also tried the Olympus OM-D E-M10, nice, fast, but seems to have more noise than my K50.

Found a Used K3 with 18-135 lens for a real good deal. Should I take the K3 over the K3ii?
Can you test a K5iis? could be a little slower AF than the K3 but it focus better in low light..also test a KP..Also you notices the K50 having better image quality.. Thats becuase the K3 is 24mp and you would need good expensive lens to see that the K3 would be much better..but if you dont intend to buy Limiteds or DFA HD lenses, youll be better off buying a K5ii or K5iis,great image better than the K50, and very rugged, I can assure you youll never have that aperture block failure with the K5ii or K5iis..

Last edited by Jeff Lopez; 04-23-2017 at 06:06 PM.
04-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was going thru pictures to find out when the dark pictures started to occur. Seems like it started after I started using external flash trigger,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A47U22U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?t...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not right away tho, after trying out say 20 or 25 shots to understand how it works with 2 flashes. Was getting ready for kids portrait shoot with my new umbrella kit and 50mm lens, turned on camera tried couple of shots without the trigger and the first picture turned out underexposed. Then with the trigger mounted and both flashes firing similar first shot was under exposed, I was like may be I messed something, but then everything went well whole evening, pictures came out awesome. Next day went out during the day and first shot was under exposed. And from there it started.

Do you guys think the flash trigger messed up my camera?

Or is it just a co-incidence?

04-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

what trigger you used?
04-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
what trigger you used?
I have it linked in my previous post. Neewer brand.
04-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I picked up the K3 + 18-135 + Sigma 70-300 APO DG + 2 x 32GB Lexar 800x Pro cards + 1 x 32GB Sandisk + Bag + charger and battery for $500.

Out door its fast and decisive especially the 18-135, silent and K3's shutter is very quiet.

Indoor I tested with DA 50mm F1.8 lens.
JPEG output:

With Recess Warm white LED lights the color seems to be more on the yellow side (Auto white Balance). But K50 the image seems more accurate.

With White Balance set to Warm White, colors seems to be more close to the K50.

Raw file produced more accurate tho.

For some reason K50 chose iso 400, F2.5, 1/50 but K3 chose to raise the iso to 800. Choose F1.8 and 1/100.

With Fluorescent Bright White light K3 produced more accurate colors.

What are the best settings for K3?

I guess I am coming from consumer model which has more color pop, so expecting the same on K3 too.
04-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #26

Has Pentax acknowledged K-50 issues?

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
K-30 / K-50 Aperture Block Failue - Repair Solution available - Page 35 - PentaxForums.com

Another Pentax fan having similar issue.

My K-50 started to act weird in the last month or so, where the first picture I take after the camera is not used for a while is either completely dark or under exposed. I initially thought some malfunction, but then it occurred random. Started to search the internet and found lot of threads similar to this.

For now using AA enelopes with adapter, first time and every time the camera takes pictures fine. Moment I switch to OEM or third party battery this can be repeated every time the camera is left alone for 30+ minutes.

Based on Jeff Lopez's input (from thread linked above) seems more logical its a capacitor issue.

With Li-on battery and Live View no issues, it exposes properly every time (tho need to test more). And last weekend (went to Bubblefest here in California), I put in the OEM Li-on battery and traveled by car and walk etc for about 1 hour, the camera didn't show this behavior, it functioned normally. It was a hot sunny day too, was shooting under bright sun, shooting with kids with the camera sprinkled with Soap and bubbles almost wet, sticky, camera chugged along with the 18-55 WR lens (love the WR ruggedness of Pentax).

I have India trip coming up to attend family events and I need this camera to work properly. Camera is about 2 yrs old.

Don't know if I need to trust this camera or just dump it and buy a new one? Seeing Pentax don't care about their few stubborn fans I am thinking go to Canon land.

I am not any pro, so if I decide to stay in Pentax land, which model should I buy?

Would love to get K-1, but might have to invest in better FF lens.
Has Pentax acknowledged or done anything about this K-50 problem yet? I've since purchased a K-3ii, but it'd sure be nice to have the K-50 fully functional once again.
04-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dula.george Quote
Has Pentax acknowledged or done anything about this K-50 problem yet? I've since purchased a K-3ii, but it'd sure be nice to have the K-50 fully functional once again.
When I called customer service, they asked me to send the camera to Precision Camera for repair and estimate is $172. I don't know if its worth spending, so I went and bought a used K3.

Still comparing both cameras, don't if I will just decide to keep both lol.
04-27-2017, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K50 seems to be working fine with the AA battery adapter.
04-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Will you use the K50 for a long time? jot down when you put batteries, and create a log, it will help us a lot
04-28-2017, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
Will you use the K50 for a long time? jot down when you put batteries, and create a log, it will help us a lot
yeah fantastic camera, lowest noise pictures I have ever seen from cameras I have owned, even the K3 is not that great when handling noise. With K50 under street lights I can go up to 6400 and still get less noisy pleasing usable photos.

Of course I am still learning to use the K3, so time will tell.

Knowing the defect of K50 I can't sell it.

Thinking of clearing off my Kr, K2000 and bunch of lenses that I had collected including the versatile Tamron 28 to 300.

I know when it started to happen so will keep count of shutters to see how far it goes. I am going to give this to my son when we go on hiking, bit heavy for 11 yr but he has creativity and want him to enjoy bit more than the point and shoot nikon he has now.