Used K-S2 210.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another K-50 Dark Picture issue

K-30 / K-50 Aperture Block Failue - Repair Solution available - Page 35 - PentaxForums.com

Another Pentax fan having similar issue.

My K-50 started to act weird in the last month or so, where the first picture I take after the camera is not used for a while is either completely dark or under exposed. I initially thought some malfunction, but then it occurred random. Started to search the internet and found lot of threads similar to this.

For now using AA enelopes with adapter, first time and every time the camera takes pictures fine. Moment I switch to OEM or third party battery this can be repeated every time the camera is left alone for 30+ minutes.

Based on Jeff Lopez's input (from thread linked above) seems more logical its a capacitor issue.

With Li-on battery and Live View no issues, it exposes properly every time (tho need to test more). And last weekend (went to Bubblefest here in California), I put in the OEM Li-on battery and traveled by car and walk etc for about 1 hour, the camera didn't show this behavior, it functioned normally. It was a hot sunny day too, was shooting under bright sun, shooting with kids with the camera sprinkled with Soap and bubbles almost wet, sticky, camera chugged along with the 18-55 WR lens (love the WR ruggedness of Pentax).

I have India trip coming up to attend family events and I need this camera to work properly. Camera is about 2 yrs old.

Don't know if I need to trust this camera or just dump it and buy a new one? Seeing Pentax don't care about their few stubborn fans I am thinking go to Canon land.

I am not any pro, so if I decide to stay in Pentax land, which model should I buy?

Would love to get K-1, but might have to invest in better FF lens.

04-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you wan to stay with Pentax, get one of the models designed to last, such as the K-3, K-3 II, K-1, maybe even the KP. Those models aren't known to have any common QC issues, thankfully.

BTW, if you got the 55-300mm PLM lens you could bypass the aperture issue entirely- but of course that's a very narrow field of view.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you wan to stay with Pentax, get one of the models designed to last, such as the K-3, K-3 II, K-1, maybe even the KP. Those models aren't known to have any common QC issues, thankfully.

BTW, if you got the 55-300mm PLM lens you could bypass the aperture issue entirely- but of course that's a very narrow field of view.
Thanks Adam, was reading another thread and same thing was suggested. I also have spare K-r and K-2000 both have more than 10k clicks and still keeps going. May be get the K-3ii and use it with my Tamron 17-50 F2.8 and other prime lens and keep the K-50 as second body with the PLM on it, so don't need to keep changing lens. Kit gets heavier
04-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My K-50 has also developed the dreaded aperture block problem with less then 13,000 shutter actuations.

I didn't know about the PLM lens 'fix'. How does this work?

Adam, are you saying that with the 55-300mm PLM lens, you won't have any aperture block problems? If so, would this also be the case with ANY PLM lens?

04-19-2017, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you wan to stay with Pentax, get one of the models designed to last
I thought they all were supposed to last?
More than two years at least.
My K-S2 is kaput after two years and 5K clicks.
Ricoh has its head stuck in the sand, or elsewhere, on this issue.
04-19-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's your budget, and how important are weight, size, and WR?
04-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K-50 was perfect size and weight, but bit more heavy for the pro body should be fine if its going to last longer.

But K-2000 has been with me for about 7 yrs, has done several overseas trips, seen extreme sticky climate and even went on the Niagara falls cruise boat trip where it normally gets totally wet. It still functions tho it doesn't last long even with brand new enelopes. Was expecting K-50 atleast 5 yrs of service.

04-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
I didn't know about the PLM lens 'fix'. How does this work?
That lens (and future KAF4 lenses) does not use the camera's aperture motor, but rather controls the diaphragm electronically on its own.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I thought they all were supposed to last?
More than two years at least.
My K-S2 is kaput after two years and 5K clicks.
Ricoh has its head stuck in the sand, or elsewhere, on this issue.
Well you have the entry-level line like the K-S1, K-S2, K-50, K-70 which have lots of fancy features but shutters rated for fewer clicks, use more plastic, etc, and then you have the flagship line with the most durable components including the fastest, newest shutters and magnesium alloy bodies.

5K is far too little, though, and I'd pressure Pentax to repair your camera for free, especially if you got the aperture block failure.

Adam

04-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

That lens (and future KAF4 lenses) does not use the camera's aperture motor, but rather controls the diaphragm electronically on its own.
Thanks Adam. Good to know as my K-50 has become virtually unusable now. I used to be able to 'fix' the problem by shooting of a burst of wasted frames and then it would be good again for quite a while but even that doesn't seem to work now. Worst timing as I am overseas now travelling!

Is it safe to assume that PLM will become to default standard in most future Pentax lenses?
04-19-2017, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks Adam. Good to know as my K-50 has become virtually unusable now. I used to be able to 'fix' the problem by shooting of a burst of wasted frames and then it would be good again for quite a while but even that doesn't seem to work now. Worst timing as I am overseas now travelling!

Is it safe to assume that PLM will become to default standard in most future Pentax lenses?
PLM is only suitable for lightweight lenses as it is a fast but low-torque motor. So we will likely continue seeing DC as the main AF system.

As for KAF4, we'll have to wait and see as I have a hunch that cheaper lenses and those designed to be compact will still see the stop-down lever.

Adam

04-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks Adam!
04-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bought a brand new Li-on non-OEM battery to see if that helps, first shot was better exposed but still not properly exposed, left the camera alone for sometime and the problem is the same.

So far AA enelopes works fine every time. Going to use it for couple of weekend hikes and such to see if it is reliable.

Watching and reading several reviews and user comments I am torn between K-3ii and K-70. I like everything about K-3ii except that I will miss the flash, K-70 seems to be complete but no built-in GPS (which is ok), like articulating screen but not rugged like a K-3ii.

If the K-50 works I can hold on to it for some more time, but the stupid airport security won't allow more than 4 AA batteries to be carried in the camera bag as cabin luggage . I need them for the external flash too. hrrrr.
04-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It really is a disgrace. Pentax should have a general recall on this issue.
04-20-2017, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It really is a disgrace. Pentax should have a general recall on this issue.
With minimal user base Pentax really need to step up and fix this for free, I haven't got a chance to call them yet, hopefully it is a better experience.