Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #1

Want to upgrade from GX-1L (=*ist-DL2). Is K-50 a safe bet or should I go for K-S2?

Hi, all. Have owned a Samsung GX-1L with kit lens for 8 years. Equal to *ist-DL2, I've outgrown it. Only 6MB no shake reduction, no self-cleaning sensor, no video, few AF points etc. But I own enough Pentax glass (18-55 kit, 55-200 DA, 100-300 FA) that I want to stay with Pentax. There are new gray market K-50s around that are very reasonably priced. But heard a lot about aperture controller failure. Is that a real risk? Should I go for a K-S2 instead?

04-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Some K-S2 cameras have also fallen victim to the aperture block failure issue. Save yourself a possible headach & just go straight for the K-70, K-3II, or KP. That or an older K-5II or K-5IIs.
04-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 picture quality is unbeatable but unfortunately it is not reliable after 2 yrs. Go with K70 or older K-5II series.
04-26-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With nothing other than a very few mentions of ABF on K-S2's I'd consider it a pretty safe bet if interested in buying one. But for the price and feature upgrades I'd agree with The Squirrel Mafia and grab a K-70 instead. $599@B&H which isn't all that much more than a new K-S2 which sells for around $500 body only.

04-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Unless your budget is very limited and you have a really good price on a K-50, better to go for the K-S2 or K-70. That said, all will be a huge improvement over your actual camera...
04-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

^ This. The only way I'd consider another K-50 body would be if it was being sold for +-$200 USA brand spanking new. The bodies were being sold for as low as $299 at B&H & Adorama when they were being phased out early last year. I even saw a few retailers selling them as low as $200 during the holidays in 2015. If you look on eBay & other places, they're selling for way more than that & a lot of them are used. I wouldn't even pay $100 for a used one. Don't get me wrong. It's a great camera & all, but it's past it's prime & a lot of other cameras will trounce it in features & IQ.

The K-70 offers the best value at the moment in terms of IQ & features. It's not a flagship like the K-3II, but it's leaps & bounds better than the camera you currently own. The flagship K-3II is also a bargain at Adorama. I have seen the K-3II go for as low as $729 at Amazon. I'd say that the K-3II's overall IQ is a bit better than the K-50's. You'd figure that it would be better by a long shot when comparing the 24MP sensor from the K-3II to the 16MP sensor from the K-50, but it's not. It's just a tad bit better with a bit more resolution & sharpness overall. The K-70 & KP are the APS-C cameras with the best IQ at the moment, but those are not flagship models. Supposedly Pentax plans to release a new APS-C flagship replacement in a few months from now, but than likely it's going to come with a heftier price tag.
04-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

At the risk of being flippant, just about anything would be an upgrade from that camera. I'm not saying it's a bad camera. I had one for a while and loved it. A lot would depend on what your needs are and how much you're looking to spend. Do you want to move a couple of miles ahead with something like a K-x or K30 or are you ready to make the quantum leap to a KP or a K1?