Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Do not swap lenses in bad weather; dust, moisture, ....could too easily damage lenses and cameras; NO lens swapping
This is why I bought the DA 18-135, and this is also why I sort of hope Pentax brings out a D-FA WR 28-200 (or similar) one day.

08-24-2018, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

I went swimming with my Pentax K50 + DA*50-135 today.

Both body and camera are very well sealed. Once I put them underwater and moved around(violently) there weren't any visible bubbles coming out of neither.

The camera continued to function underwater.

But water still got through.

I found that during my ~30second test with the camera under water, water managed to seep in through the Focus Ring which ultimately made it's way onto the glass in form of a fine mist. There was also a small drop of water on the inside of the measuring display.

On the body however, the rubber sealings didn't manage to keep the water out of the PC and intervalometer port. The SD card slot was dry - it has visibly more protection. There were a few drops of water on the battery.
No water managed to get through the mount, it was completely dry.
I have the slight suspicion some water went in through the shutter and aperture selection scrolling buttons, as the aperture selection acted up at one point.

After giving the body a blower treatment, there seems to be no permanent damage.

The lens had some water in it which started misting the glasses. I removed the bottom part of the lens and used a blower to force a little air movement inside the lens. The glasses cleared up slowly and remained clear afterwards.

All signs of water have now disappeared and everything functions.

So to my disappointment I have to say: Pentax SLRs and lenses aren't waterproof enough to use them as underwater cameras
But they sure are weathersealed like crazy.
08-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
I went swimming with my Pentax K50 + DA*50-135 today.

Both body and camera are very well sealed. Once I put them underwater and moved around(violently) there weren't any visible bubbles coming out of neither.

The camera continued to function underwater.

But water still got through.

I found that during my ~30second test with the camera under water, water managed to seep in through the Focus Ring which ultimately made it's way onto the glass in form of a fine mist. There was also a small drop of water on the inside of the measuring display.

On the body however, the rubber sealings didn't manage to keep the water out of the PC and intervalometer port. The SD card slot was dry - it has visibly more protection. There were a few drops of water on the battery.
No water managed to get through the mount, it was completely dry.
I have the slight suspicion some water went in through the shutter and aperture selection scrolling buttons, as the aperture selection acted up at one point.

After giving the body a blower treatment, there seems to be no permanent damage.

The lens had some water in it which started misting the glasses. I removed the bottom part of the lens and used a blower to force a little air movement inside the lens. The glasses cleared up slowly and remained clear afterwards.

All signs of water have now disappeared and everything functions.

So to my disappointment I have to say: Pentax SLRs and lenses aren't waterproof enough to use them as underwater cameras
But they sure are weathersealed like crazy.
Did you do this on purpose, or did you fall in?
And if you did do this on purpose - Why would you? It's not designed for underwater use!
08-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There was a guy on the Pentaxians Facebook group who reported a couple of weeks ago his K-1 and 24-70 went into a lake. Tried rice, everything afterwards, but no luck.

08-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I do believe, that some of Pentax's cameras are more WR than others.

For example. The battery compartment door on my K-70 does not seem to seat all that firmly. The same door on my K-1 seals much tighter, and I suspect that my K-1's battery compartment door would do a better job of keeping out water than would the door on my K-70.
08-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Did you do this on purpose, or did you fall in?
And if you did do this on purpose - Why would you? It's not designed for underwater use!
Curiosity demands answers and I felt adventurous. (and my camera is old and has some problems - I'll get a new body soon. I won't get nothing on ebay for an used old semibroken K50 anyways. I wouldn't do it again with my DA* though. I kinda though the DA* had super airtight sealings. But with a kit lens, anytime )

As of today, everything still works.
The display did fog up a few days ago. It was cold outside. I put some tissue paper in the battery compartment and let it sit overnight. I think/hope it sucked up all the moisture in the body. Haven't really gone shooting since.

Last edited by labidas; 08-28-2018 at 01:29 PM.
08-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Curiosity demands answers and I felt adventurous. (and my camera is old and has some problems - I'll get a new body soon. I won't get nothing on ebay for an used old semibroken K50 anyways. I wouldn't do it again with my DA* though. I kinda though the DA* had super airtight sealings. But with a kit lens, anytime )

The display did fog up a few days ago. It was cold outside. I put some tissue paper in the battery compartment and let it sit overnight. I think/hope it sucked up all the moisture in the body. Haven't really gone shooting since.
Aha. You're a braver man than me!

08-28-2018, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I normally loan my gear to all sorts of people, Labidas, but I think you've disqualified yourself after that little revelation.
08-28-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I normally loan my gear to all sorts of people, Labidas, but I think you've disqualified yourself after that little revelation.
Yeah! And will watch out for clean, "lightly used" K-50's on ebay too!