Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #16
Forum Member

I wouldn't read too much into it. I took it as a non-answer intended to let me know they were aware and could fix it, and I didn't ask further.

01-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Will in Seattle Quote
I wouldn't read too much into it. I took it as a non-answer intended to let me know they were aware and could fix it, and I didn't ask further.
I know this is an old thread and I shouldn't pick at an old wound but I'm not known for always doing the right thing.
I wrote ricoh this past summer (I was nice) but got no response. I love or rather, loved my k50 but now am disenchanted with the brand. Would I buy another pentax and take that risk? No, not likely.
I keep hoping to find some miracle procedure on this fourm to save the camera, but alas..no.
A new camera is in the works but will most likely be something other than pentax.
Too bad.
01-06-2018, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jason Borne Quote
I know this is an old thread and I shouldn't pick at an old wound but I'm not known for always doing the right thing.
I wrote ricoh this past summer (I was nice) but got no response. I love or rather, loved my k50 but now am disenchanted with the brand. Would I buy another pentax and take that risk? No, not likely.
I keep hoping to find some miracle procedure on this fourm to save the camera, but alas..no.
A new camera is in the works but will most likely be something other than pentax.
Too bad.
My K50 developed the aperture block problem over a year ago. I decided to send it to a California repair shop following advice from others in the Forum I believe. It cost $100 plus shipping. A one year guarantee was given. The service was prompt and the camera has been without problem since then. I recommend this repair shop.

It is called PC35 PhotoLab in Pine Grove, CA. email is pc35@volcano.net. Phone is 209-296-1796. Cell phone is 209-753-8553. Give him a call and see what he can do for you.
01-08-2018, 03:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too bad.
Well, the miracle you so much wished had already long time happened in this forum

A few members still think it is is some aperture motor (there are no motors!) but it isn't, the Pentax K30; K50 and others work with a small magnetic switch called solenoid. And it is this tiny device which is of inferior quality and needs to be replaced.

QuoteOriginally posted by Will in Seattle Quote
I was told the issue is caused by "a newly-designed part that is installed," which is no help for you DIYers out there, but at least you know Ricoh is aware of the problem and is showing at a degree of willingness to make it right.
The issue is for sure caused by a part that is installed, but this part is for sure not newly designed but was used in old Pentax bodies already.

Ricoh fixes the problem, yes.

But they used to fix it by exchanging the complete aperture-board including the solenoid, because then they didn't know what actually was the problem.

Only after many DIY researchers finally located the problem to this tiny solenoid malfunctioning, Ricoh changed their repair solution as well and now exchange just the solenoid against a new (green) one.

There is nothing new designed, no magic, no voodoo!

DIY'ers still have the best solution which is to find or buy the original "made in Japan" white solenoid which is of superior quality and use it instead of the green coloured "made in China" version which can break again.

01-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Well, the miracle you so much wished had already long time happened in this forum

A few members still think it is is some aperture motor (there are no motors!) but it isn't, the Pentax K30; K50 and others work with a small magnetic switch called solenoid. And it is this tiny device which is of inferior quality and needs to be replaced.

The issue is for sure caused by a part that is installed, but this part is for sure not newly designed but was used in old Pentax bodies already.

Ricoh fixes the problem, yes.

But they used to fix it by exchanging the complete aperture-board including the solenoid, because then they didn't know what actually was the problem.

Only after many DIY researchers finally located the problem to this tiny solenoid malfunctioning, Ricoh changed their repair solution as well and now exchange just the solenoid against a new (green) one.

There is nothing new designed, no magic, no voodoo!

DIY'ers still have the best solution which is to find or buy the original "made in Japan" white solenoid which is of superior quality and use it instead of the green coloured "made in China" version which can break again.
Thanks Photogem, I have read most of what has been written here on the forum and elsewhere on the internet about the problem and do have hope that I may be able to fix the issue myself once a new solenoid is found. I the miracle I was (hoping) for was something that didn't involve my fat fingers or old eyes. I'm still using the camera with an old manual lense on my spotting scope but this set up has limited usefulness. I find getting the correct focus is daunting. With glasses or without, I'm always a bit off but don't know it until its on the computer. Forgive me for crying in your drink. Its really a small thing and there are much more important matters to worry about.
01-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too bad.
My sympathies to you!

I am still trying to learn if there are things we can do to stave off this problem {other than purchase a KP}

Roughly what was your shutter count when your K-50 died? How old was it in months?
Was there a time just before it failed when it lay idle for several months?
01-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My sympathies to you!

I am still trying to learn if there are things we can do to stave off this problem {other than purchase a KP}

Roughly what was your shutter count when your K-50 died? How old was it in months?
Was there a time just before it failed when it lay idle for several months?
Reh321, if you dont have this problem yet, good for you. Hopefully it passes you by. Not sure of my shutter count as I haven't looked it up, but probably less than 7000. Sad I know.
It started out as a random black image, just 1 or 2 then would work fine. That was this past july and it was random enough that I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Finally in Aug, it was no longer random and I could hear the camera late at night plotting against me. There were no long dry spells between photos, maybe 2 to 3 weeks at the most. We live in a beautiful spot here in Montana and have wildlife passing thru daily. As I type this, a nice 4x4 whitetail buck is walking by. I would take picture...but the stinking camera no worky. Camera was about 2.5 years old when it started playing hooky.
Best of luck to you.

01-10-2018, 01:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Photogem, I have read most of what has been written here on the forum and elsewhere on the internet about the problem and do have hope that I may be able to fix the issue myself once a new solenoid is found. I the miracle I was (hoping) for was something that didn't involve my fat fingers or old eyes. I'm still using the camera with an old manual lense on my spotting scope but this set up has limited usefulness. I find getting the correct focus is daunting. With glasses or without, I'm always a bit off but don't know it until its on the computer. Forgive me for crying in your drink. Its really a small thing and there are much more important matters to worry about.
I'd recommend then also to find somebody who can do the final soldering on the solenoid for you.

Normally I would recommend to send the camera to California to this repairman but as he does not mention the use of the white solenoid
but most likely sands the horseshoe this is not the best solution, but better than getting the camera repaired with a new green (original) solenoid.

I still see the K30 as a very good camera. The O-ME53 might help with your eyes.
01-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if this absolutely or consistently works, but for you diy types out there, may be worth a try...
01-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #25

Thanks darylk for the video. I have seen it and most of the others on youtube. I'm going to try and locate a solenoid and replace the defective part. In the meantime, I'm researching my next camera. The k70 would be a top contender if it weren't for the possibility of the same problem happening all over again. I'm leaning heavily toward a panasonic g85 but half the fun is figuring out what to get. It will probably be this summer before I make a decision.
02-12-2018, 04:43 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I don't know if this absolutely or consistently works, but for you diy types out there, may be worth a try...
1. the person has no protection / body cap.

and then

2. sands the anchor right next to his K50

anyway. the sanding method is not a good idea. It only helps for a while. If you engage in opening the body and go as far as getting this solenoid out, replace it with the Made in Japan white solenoid. This is the only true solution.
03-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks darylk for the video. I have seen it and most of the others on youtube. I'm going to try and locate a solenoid and replace the defective part. In the meantime, I'm researching my next camera. The k70 would be a top contender if it weren't for the possibility of the same problem happening all over again. I'm leaning heavily toward a panasonic g85 but half the fun is figuring out what to get. It will probably be this summer before I make a decision.
When I tell people I plan for my next camera to be a KP, because I cannot trust the design used in the K-70, they remind me that Pentax claims this problem shouldn't happen with the K-70 .... but right now I have trouble believing that. I'm a low volume user, after 33 months the shutter count on my K-30 is just 2694, but I do make an effort to have no gaps of more than six days between using it, because the camera seems to forget how to set aperture. I also carry a couple of manual lenses with me, but a guy shouldn't live like this. But I'm not giving up on Pentax ..... they'll just have to wait longer to get my money because it'll take me longer to collect the larger amount.

---------- Post added 03-05-18 at 12:16 AM ----------

Reh321, if you dont have this problem yet, good for you. Hopefully it passes you by. Not sure of my shutter count as I haven't looked it up, but probably less than 7000. Sad I know.
It started out as a random black image, just 1 or 2 then would work fine. That was this past july and it was random enough that I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Finally in Aug, it was no longer random and I could hear the camera late at night plotting against me. There were no long dry spells between photos, maybe 2 to 3 weeks at the most. We live in a beautiful spot here in Montana and have wildlife passing thru daily. As I type this, a nice 4x4 whitetail buck is walking by. I would take picture...but the stinking camera no worky. Camera was about 2.5 years old when it started playing hooky.
Best of luck to you.
I just noticed I never got around to responding to this .... so "thank you".
03-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
My K50 developed the aperture block problem over a year ago. I decided to send it to a California repair shop following advice from others in the Forum I believe. It cost $100 plus shipping. A one year guarantee was given. The service was prompt and the camera has been without problem since then. I recommend this repair shop.

It is called PC35 PhotoLab in Pine Grove, CA. email is pc35@volcano.net. Phone is 209-296-1796. Cell phone is 209-753-8553. Give him a call and see what he can do for you.

I too have used PC35 PhotoLab. The gentleman's name is Mark. There was a fast turnaround time and after a year, my K-30 is still turning out photos. As mentioned, he charges $100 with a 1 year guarantee. I love my K-50 and K-30, so for me, it was well worth the price of repair. JMHO.