Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2017, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #31

Original Poster
Okay, I've finished testing most of the better RAW processing apps, and here are my choices.

First, I should say that I'm something of a butterfly when it comes to computer software. I've tested and trialed hundreds - maybe thousands - of computer programs in my time as a PC builder and serviceman, and if I can't achieve a quick understanding of the way an app works, I'll usually discard it. There's too much good software around to waste time on stuff that's poorly written, badly laid out, or lacking simple and comprehensive help files.

With regard to photo editors and processors, I'm just an amateur photographer, so there's no incentive for me to endure a long learning process before I can become adept in a program's use. If I was a pro, it'd be different - I'd take the time to learn how to use the top software. Like Lightroom, for example. I've had the app for several years and never really got to grips with it. Nothing wrong with the program - just a bit too clever for this old guy

So, here's my list of zeros and heroes.
Zeros:
UFRaw and GIMP. Couldn't make UFRaw pass pics onto GIMP. Glitchy software, though GIMP's ok.
Paint Shop Pro X9. It's not bad, but doesn't compare with Photoshop (which I've had for years), but it does open DNG files.
RawTherapee. Even though I'm an amateur, I thought this one was a bit too simple for me. Has a lot of presets.
On1 Photo RAW 2017. Probably very good for pros but I found the interface confusing.
DxO Optics Pro 11. Has promise (good HDR presets) but I found the interface confusing.
Capture One Pro. No, for the same reasons as the preceding two. But don't get me wrong. For pros, the last three are probably marvelous.

Heroes - Grade B:
AfterShot Pro 3. Very good GUI and lots of features. Don't know how much I'll use it, but it's a keeper.
SilkyPix. Not sure about this, either, but I'll keep it for further experimentation.

Heroes - Grade A:
Faststone Viewer. Great, see below.
Camera RAW Plugin for Photoshop. Great, see below
NIK Plugins for Photoshop. Great, see below

I'm currently using Photoshop CS6 (No advantage in the latest CC version, IMHO).
To Photoshop I added the latest Camera RAW plugin, together with the (now free) NIK Plugins.
Then I associated .DNG files with Faststone Viewer, and set up Faststone to pass files over to Photoshop for editing.
This way, I only need to click a DNG to view it, and its folder-mates, in Faststone. While there, I can view pics, quickly experiment with basic adjustments, or cull files. If I wish to develop a file, I need only hit 'E' and it opens in Photoshop\Camera RAW.
Excellent system. Fast and easy. Obvious there's no file management, but I don't need that - I have my own storage system.

So there it is. As I said, the system wouldn't suit everybody but it fits my requirements perfectly.

Folks, much thanks for all the great suggestions. Hope the above might help someone else