Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

K50: Programs to open .DNG files?

I've just started taking RAW + jpg for the first time.

The native RAW format of my K50 seems to be .DNG.

But I'm having difficulty opening and processing these files on my W7 Ultimate computer.

At first I tried UFRaw (0.19.2), which opened .DNGs but wanted GIMP for an editor.

So I installed GIMP 2.8.22, but UFRaw said it 'couldn't open GIMP', or words to that effect. Apparently a common result, judging by the number of posts about the error.

I installed RawTherapee 5.1 and that seems to open DNG files but the GUI is awful, IMHO, and looks like it'll involve me with a steep learning curve.

Suggestions for alternative software would be appreciated.

PS: I have PShop CS6.

05-31-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Give FastStone Image viewer a try as your editor. Or even better, try NIK Collection from Google. Stand-alone or PS plug-in and opens DNG and is fabulous!!

Last edited by ripper2860; 05-31-2017 at 07:08 PM.
05-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Install Adobe Bridge (it is free, from adobe webpage, just register) and Photoshop CS6 what you have... you do not need anything else and watch plenty of tutorials on youtube.

You are set... also you can add NIK collection to PS as suggested above.
05-31-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom would seem to be the obvious solution if you are already an Adobe user.

05-31-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could download the Camera Raw 9.1.1 plugin for CS6 from the Adobe website, which will then open your DNG files in CS6. I use an earlier version with CS4 and it works a treat.
05-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaprickle Quote
The native RAW format of my K50 seems to be .DNG.
Actually, it's default to .pef, but there is a menu option in the camera that you must have selected to set it to .dng.

Have you tried the pentax software that came with the camera? The advantage of this is I believe Pentax knows their cameras' image qualities better than third parties. You also get to have the same image processing options as in the camera and the software retains all your camera settings by default.
05-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Actually, it's default to .pef, but there is a menu option in the camera that you must have selected to set it to .dng.
Not on the K-50 or other recent consumer level Pentax cameras.

Steve

05-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

PS: I have PShop CS6.
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Install Adobe Bridge (it is free, from adobe webpage, just register) and Photoshop CS6 what you have... you do not need anything else and watch plenty of tutorials on youtube.
What they said ^ ^ ^

As noted above, Lightroom is also a good choice due to excellent round trip integration with PS.

Steve
05-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #9

No, the K-01/30/50 is DNG only for RAW.

You need the Adobe Camera RAW plug-in v8.2 or higher to support the K-50. The highest version PS CS6 supports is v.9.11.

Download the Camera RAW unstaller from Adobe:
Camera Raw installer for Adobe Photoshop CC and CS6
05-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I stand corrected! Thanks.
05-31-2017, 10:15 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments, folks.

Ripper2860: I have Faststone, and while it opens DNG files, it doesn't seem able to edit them. Maybe it forwards the image to a proper editor, but that seems like unnecessary extra handling. Re the NIK plugins, I download them, thanks for the tip.

RAART: I have Adobe Bridge, but, TBH, I've never been sure what to do with it. Duh :-)

Jatrax: Lightroom seems to get a lot of good press. But see my next comment.

Microlight: So, if I installed Camera Raw 9.1.1, all I need to do is open a DNG in Photoshop CS6? Seems too easy :-)

Calsan: SilkyPix came with the K50 camera but I got the impression from this and other forums that it wasn't well thought of.

Stevebrot: I'm confused about Lightroom. Why would I need it LR I have Photoshop CS6 with the Camera Raw plugin? Or Photoshop with the NIK plugins?

Not a Number: Thanks. As I said to Microlight, the option seems too simple.

BTW, nobody has mentioned Corel's Paint Shop Pro or AfterShot. Or Capture One. Are these not viable options?
05-31-2017, 11:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

RAART: I have Adobe Bridge, but, TBH, I've never been sure what to do with it. Duh :-)
BTW, nobody has mentioned Corel's Paint Shop Pro or AfterShot. Or Capture One. Are these not viable options?
I was assuming that you have already installed Adobe RAW as it is mandatory to open RAW files in Adobe Photoshop (PS) but it looks like you didn't have it on your PC. Anyway Adobe Bridge (AB) will allow you to browse all of yours RAW files and few more things like organizing, rating them, etc. and even you can select multiple ones (just hold ctrl and click on those ones you like to open) and when you hit enter it will start PS and open all those images in Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) first and from there you can edit one by one or when you finish with one you can sync the settings to others open currently in ACR. Then you can hit open image or images and it will open them in PS for further editing. ACR will remember your edits in ACR if you decide to edit them afterwords.

Very simple and intuitive... In regards CPR (Corel Paint Shop) or AS (AfterShot) they are also quite good but I never wanted to learn again how to work in those. They working very well with Topaz Suite, not sure about NIK but I think it should work as well. BTW in terms of NIK, if you use PS it will work as plug-in and if you convert the background layer to smart object even you can go anytime back and re-process again if you do not like something previously done.

They are out there few other excellent software choices like Capture One or DXO Optics Pro and as you mention Corel Paintshop Pro X9 Ultimate and other in Corel Suite.

The only thing that keep me at Adobe is that they have regularly updates for new equipment and they are the fastest ones to support. If you are into portraiture then you have to try Capture One.
Check also the Topaz Suite as another alternative to NIK plug-ins or standalone version.

This is my 2c on this topic.

Have fun on your quest!
06-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I also recommend giving FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... a shot. I actually use Elements for converting raw files, but FS for a lot of other things - lossless cropping, resizing, contact sheets, moving files. And FS also opens and converts raw files.
06-01-2017, 03:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentaprickle: yeh, easy as that ... almost! I use Bridge to open the DNGs in ACR, but if I remember correctly you can also load direct into ACR by using the 'open as' command from the file menu in PS, and choosing the Adobe Camera Raw option from the filetype drop down.
06-01-2017, 04:29 AM   #15

Not a Number: Thanks. As I said to Microlight, the option seems too simple.
That's why it is called a plug-in. Adobe Bridge should have been installed with CS6.