Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2017, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
My K-50 camera that is in sick bay

Despite my well highlighted problems with my past two K-50 cameras, I have a new appreciation of them after having the use for a few days of a Nikon D3100
It is the second time I have tried using it and have struggled to like it; find it extremely difficult to follow the features and properties, how to adjust or alter etc. Took 70 various pics with it yesterday & was not really happy with any. Even when it was failing, the K-50 did a better job and they are so much simpler to use and to change every feature. So hoping for a change of luck

09-10-2017, 04:41 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Terry. Have you sent your K-50 off for repair? If so, your issues should be resolved this time. Good luck to you mate.
09-12-2017, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Terry. Have you sent your K-50 off for repair? If so, your issues should be resolved this time. Good luck to you mate.
Thanks Peter..still here waiting for the courier but will go hopefully tomorrow arvo; thanks for your interest
09-12-2017, 01:48 AM   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tezza Quote
Thanks Peter..still here waiting for the courier but will go hopefully tomorrow arvo; thanks for your interest
No worries Terry, most welcome. Let us know how you get on mate. If you have any issues or questions in the future, please let us help you out. That's what the Pentax forums are all about !!

09-13-2017, 02:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
No worries Terry, most welcome. Let us know how you get on mate. If you have any issues or questions in the future, please let us help you out. That's what the Pentax forums are all about !!
Thanks Peter..camera was picked up today so will know more in two weeks I guess. Camera house guy thought (instead of spending money on repairs for my now four year old K-50)
I might consider upgrading to a K-30. BTW is a roughly 12,000 shutter count a lot over four years?
09-13-2017, 03:56 AM   #6
Closed Account

BTW is a roughly 12,000 shutter count a lot over four years?
That is not excessive Terry, but 3,000 shots a year is a good average. I think that both the K30 and the K50 have an expected shutter life of 100,000. Hopefully your K50 is a quick and cheap fix.

I might consider upgrading to a K-30
Both the K30 and the K50 suffer from the same aperture block problem. Could I suggest that you start a thread in the Troubleshooting And Beginner Help forum asking the membership here for some advice. Let them know a " little " about your K50 issue, but that you are looking to upgrade your camera body. If you state what type of photography you prefer ( landscape, macro etc ), what lenses you have that can be paired with that body, and probably also what sort of budget you have to play with. See how you go first with the repair, but it that doesn't work out, the HELP thread will give you lots to think about. Good luck to you mate, and keep us informed.
09-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Peter..camera was picked up today so will know more in two weeks I guess. Camera house guy thought (instead of spending money on repairs for my now four year old K-50)
I might consider upgrading to a K-30. BTW is a roughly 12,000 shutter count a lot over four years?
Is this a typo?? K-30 was immediate predecessor of K-50, but virtually identical. Upgrade would be a K-70, or even a KP.

09-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
That is not excessive Terry, but 3,000 shots a year is a good average. I think that both the K30 and the K50 have an expected shutter life of 100,000. Hopefully your K50 is a quick and cheap fix.

Both the K30 and the K50 suffer from the same aperture block problem. Could I suggest that you start a thread in the Troubleshooting And Beginner Help forum asking the membership here for some advice. Let them know a " little " about your K50 issue, but that you are looking to upgrade your camera body. If you state what type of photography you prefer ( landscape, macro etc ), what lenses you have that can be paired with that body, and probably also what sort of budget you have to play with. See how you go first with the repair, but it that doesn't work out, the HELP thread will give you lots to think about. Good luck to you mate, and keep us informed.
Yes ok Peter, will try that later; I really need a tutorial on how to navigate Forum..keep getting lost, in the wrong spot or getting (what is that about) told I am not allowed in this area
09-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
Closed Account

Yes ok Peter, will try that later; I really need a tutorial on how to navigate Forum..keep getting lost, in the wrong spot or getting (what is that about) told I am not allowed in this area

New members ( and a few not so new ) have issues with navigating this large site. Here are a couple of links for you Terry. Just click on them and they will take you to some useful information.

FORUM USAGE GUIDE: an explanation of forum features! - PentaxForums.com

Welcome & Forum Rules - PentaxForums.com

Cheers mate.
09-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is this a typo?? K-30 was immediate predecessor of K-50, but virtually identical. Upgrade would be a K-70, or even a KP.
Oh, ok then..thank you
09-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #11

Original Poster
Yes & after a couple of days despite what was said about it here they said they could find no fault despite my leaving 30 odd very dark pics on the card. Well some people cannot wear a wrist watch, maybe it is me with three Pentax & being told the camera is fine. The Nikon I borrowed was reasonable after some setting changes but too complex for me, so am about to go back to a Canon. Next episode to follow
09-20-2017, 02:09 AM   #12
Closed Account

Next episode to follow
Hopefully you will be able to get back to just taking some photographs Terry. Stick around the Pentax forums though, it is still a great place for a yap and to learn a thing or three !! Post some photographs when you have settled in with the new " toy " mate.
09-22-2017, 05:08 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hopefully you will be able to get back to just taking some photographs Terry. Stick around the Pentax forums though, it is still a great place for a yap and to learn a thing or three !! Post some photographs when you have settled in with the new " toy " mate.
Sure..cheers
10-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Although this is sort of a "Bandaid" to the problem, I've found that if I take out the rechargeable battery and replace it with the 4-AAAA battery adaptor with fresh LI batteries, it seems to work fine. Then, after a day or two, I can replace the FULLY CHARGED rechargeable LI and it again will work as advertised. I realize this isn't a permanent cure, but, just thought I'd mention it. It might help in a pinch.