Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

Shake reduction got the shakes......!

My beloved k-50 has got the shakes.....started without warning..more or less 16,000 clics....in live mode, shutter up or long exposures the sensor just keeps shaking . is there anything that I can do about this.

10-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

From what i know, SR must be turned off while on a tripod (i assume it was on one because of long exposure). If in nornal situations everything works fine, that must be the cause, just turn it off and you-re all set. Hope this helps

p.s. i do not know if sr is automatically set to off while using the timer on the k50 but on newer models it is, so you could also try that
10-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It's the usual advice - reset to factory defaults, but...since permanent sensor shaking isn't normal it could, unfortunately, be an expensive fault.

Good luck.
10-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post examples or a video of the shaking?

If you take photos with tripod, turn off SR. If you have a lens with stabilization (some Sigma have it), turn off one or the other (do not use both in-lens and in-camera stabilization at same time, they fight).
If you are panning and taking photos of gently moving things, turn off SR.
SR has different Menu options, you can turn it to always on, only on for photo, always off. I have it "only for photo". I think this option only affects live view.
Pentax video quality is not great, so there is some jello effect. The SR makes this worse, but even if SR is disabled, the codec and shutter do this anyway. To combat this, use the appropriate shutter speed and high quality, and turn off SR. In video, the SR is digital with modern cameras - it is not the same as the mechanical SR for photos.

When taking SR photos, make sure you have the right focal length (with manual lenses you have to input by hand). You need to hold the shutter button a little bit for SR to become fully active. There is a little icon in the LCD that turns on to tell you SR is full active. If you do not wait for this, the SR will be suboptimal. IF you dont have time to wait for this, press button earlier, or disable SR.

Holding camera and pressing the shutter button gently is very important, too. For long time I had shaky photos because of bad technique. Working on stance and pressing button correctly helps a lot. And wait for two seconds for your heart rate to slow down, for arms to be steady, before taking shots.

If these tips do not fix the problem, reset to factory defaults, make sure camera mount, SD bracket and battery are clean. Do a firmware update to the latest version (only newest one, for your camera model).

If none of this fixes it, if it is not a user error and not a camera setting error, you might have to return the camera. Hope it is in warranty. Good luck!

10-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #5

One guy reported a similar problem in China, which has been repaired by replacing the sensor (gyroscope I guess) for SR. In the video he posted, the sensor just shakes about 3 times per second as long as the shutter is slower than 1/5, even when SR is disabled.
So I think you should get your camera repaired by some experts.
Good luck!
12-19-2017, 04:17 AM   #6
Forum Member

It happened to me too but due to my fault. When I was trying to repair an aperture mechanism some months ago I partially disassembled the camera and probably that time one small screw fell somewhere inside. I didn't notice it. Some weeks ago my camera suddenly started shaking with sensor in liveview mode without any reason. I disassembled the body again and found a small screw sticked to powerful neodymium magnet of image stabilisation mechanism just in a gap between chassis frame and moving plate with sensor. So as the SR mechanism was trying to move with plate it hit the screw and tried to force move over it. After removing the screw it works again (but now I have another problem with mirror).
So in your case it might happen that some small ferromagnetic part fell inside and sticked on magnet. But it maybe also FW issue or gyro sensor issue, etc...
12-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Overheating of the sensor

another reason can be overheating of the sensor due to (too) long video sequences.