Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
11-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 internal battery / capacitor replacement for clock

Has anyone replaced the internal cell that keeps the camera clock running? My K-30 started by pausing time when the main battery was removed and resetting time if it was out too long, now it resets the time even when I swap batteries as fast as I can.

I see conflicting reports that it's either a rechargeable lithium cell or a supercap on the main board? Has anyone successfully changed theirs?

http://www.sii.co.jp/en/me/datasheets/ms-rechargeable/ms414ge/

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DCK-3R3E204T614-E/604-1078-ND/1658299

11-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Hi all,

QuoteOriginally posted by ekip Quote
Has anyone replaced the internal cell that keeps the camera clock running?
I do not know where is it, the battery or cell, but I have a similar problem, every time I replace the battery, I have to reset the date and time. I don't know if it can be resolved, or if I have to send it to the service center. Nobody has ever had such a problem?
11-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Blue K-30 had the same problem. I removed the battery and left it out of the camera for 24 hours, after which I reinstalled the battery and no more time problems. You should try this before spending money on an expensive repair. HTH
11-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
My Blue K-30 had the same problem. I removed the battery and left it out of the camera for 24 hours,
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try as you said. It is to be said that only the old digital cameras had to replace the buffer battery.
For example, it was indispensable in the first Pentax *istD.

11-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In my theory to removing battery and leaving it out, was akin to resetting the cmos battery in a computer.
11-09-2017, 03:45 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
My Blue K-30 had the same problem. I removed the battery and left it out of the camera for 24 hours, after which I reinstalled the battery and no more time problems. You should try this before spending money on an expensive repair. HTH
Thanks, I'll give it a try
11-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

Repair under Warranty

My K-3 had the same problem. None of the other functions were affected, but the lack of correct date and time messed up my indexing.
With just twelve days of Warranty remaining, I contacted RICOH/PENTAX, and sent it off to their official repairers, NIKKEN Techno France in Paris, and am expecting it back on Monday 13th.
I guess that the lesson here is, if there's something wrong with the camera, get it fixed straight away, and don't leave it until the last minute, as I did.

11-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
maw
Pentaxian

Hi all,

I removed the battery and left it out of the camera for 24 hours,
I have tried, leaving the camera without battery for over 24 hours, unfortunately nothing happened, the K-30 has no buffer battery,
so the problem is to be found elsewhere. I do not know, perhaps writing to assistance in Italy (FOWA), they will tell me what to do.
I know the answer, "send us the camera"
Otherwise, the alternative is to leave it all this way and when I replace the battery, reset the date and time, simple no?
04-26-2018, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #9

Hello,
I know this is an old thread but I stumbled across it and wanted to add a little in case anyone else finds themselves with a similar issue.
My understanding is that if this was a cap it shouldn't fail in this way. Maybe supercaps are different but in theory caps should last longer then the mechanical bits of the camera itself before they fail unless they are electrolytic.

With that I am going to assume this is a battery but I will try and prove that later. Thank you to the OP for the battery can cap links. I haven't been able to find anything else online about them yet. I did however find a video of a k-50 being broken down for the battery. (
) If hyperlinks do not work on this site search youtube for "How to repair DSLR Pentax K-50 - exchange memory battery" At 4:30 it shows the battery.

I emailed pentax to see what they have to say. My guess is send it to us and we will fix it. The online estimate was $200 bucks and at the price I feel like I'm better off replacing the camera.

I love my K-30 and I don't really want to replace it as it has good resolution and I feel like it has a lot of life left in it. With this video I plan on pulling mine apart and trying to find a replacement battery. My batteries die so fast if left in the camera I feel this is worth replacing if its a fix.

I will add more information once I get back from my trip and pull the thing apart.
04-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pyroburner69 Quote
The online estimate was $200 bucks and at the price I feel like I'm better off replacing the camera.
Hi Pyroburner69,

Thanks for the video, very informative, but does not specify what type of battery is needed, in case I wanted to venture in the disassembly and reassembly of the K-30.

I think I'll keep it like this, after all it is perhaps easier to reset the date and time. Always better than sending it for assistance.
12-13-2019, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #11

I fixed my time reset problem

A couple of months ago I started having the aperture block problem giving me dark pictures. About the same time I started having a problem with the internal time resetting whenever the battery died or was changed. So if I was going to open my K30 I figured I would tackle both problems.
I replaced the solenoid to fix the dark pictures.
For the time problem I found this video showing the repair.

He lists the part number from Digi-Key as 604-1078-ND. It cost me about $7 with shipping. The soldering was a bit of a challenge since it is a small surface mount device. I also had to be careful not to bump the other nearby components and really mess things up. But I managed to get it soldered correctly and it fixed the problem.
12-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by billwe Quote
A couple of months ago I started having the aperture block problem giving me dark pictures. About the same time I started having a problem with the internal time resetting whenever the battery died or was changed. So if I was going to open my K30 I figured I would tackle both problems.
I replaced the solenoid to fix the dark pictures.
For the time problem I found this video showing the repair. Pentax K30 Backup battery replacement - YouTube

He lists the part number from Digi-Key as 604-1078-ND. It cost me about $7 with shipping. The soldering was a bit of a challenge since it is a small surface mount device. I also had to be careful not to bump the other nearby components and really mess things up. But I managed to get it soldered correctly and it fixed the problem.
Did you happen check what was written on the old one?
12-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #13

I don't remember. But doing a search for digi-key and that part number gives: Manufacturer Elna America

Manufacturer Part Number DCK-3R3E204T614-E

Description CAP 200MF -20% +80% 3.3V SMD
05-10-2020, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The spec for the battery is: 6.8mm, 3V, 3mAh with fitment prong. Manf part number MS621T. Seems pretty readily available online. The MS series are lithium rechargeable batteries use silicon oxide as the anode and a lithium manganese composite oxide as the cathode.

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Seiko%20Instruments%20PDFs/MS621T.pdf
05-11-2020, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the MS612T does fit, it is slightly larger than the MS414 which is the original and it is a lithium rechareable battery.

This one:

QuoteOriginally posted by billwe Quote
I don't remember. But doing a search for digi-key and that part number gives: Manufacturer Elna America
Manufacturer Part Number DCK-3R3E204T614-E
Description CAP 200MF -20% +80% 3.3V SMD
is a supercap and DOES NOT WORK!

I have tried it, the only thing that happens is that the D-LI109 battery drains very quickly!

I then installed the MS612 and all was fine

Last edited by photogem; 05-11-2020 at 08:18 PM.