Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The U.S. paid to rebuild Germany after the war. At one point U.S. manufacturing was at a serious disadvantage because under the Marshall plan, Germany was retooled with all modern (for the day) equipment, while many U/S. companies were using out dated equipment.... but I digress.
Well, we are kind of in a similar situation here with China (not all of it, just a bunch of the big cities for now). Not saying they are being subsidized by US, but because they started with "nothing" relatively recently, everything they have now has been acquired very recently and all the latest new, state of the art (almost) whereas those of us who live in the "modern" west are saddled with all sorts of legacy infrastructure and equipment.

But now we're getting really off topic ... :-)

Anyways, back to the original point, I popped by the shop to get the K-50 but then the guy whipped out one of his last demo K-S2 (barely touched) for not a lot more cash. He said he has a new-in-box in storage somewhere that he would sell me for the same price and he'll dig it up for me by next week so I expect to be procuring one of those instead. But I think would've been quite happy with the K-50. To put in perspective, relative to a new K-70 kit, the K-50 would've cost me about 40% while the slightly more expensive K-S2 is just over 50% the cost. Either one is a huge savings with more than acceptable image quality.