Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

New old-stock K-50

I found a new K-50 today at my local camera store (it's very sad, boxes and boxes of every other brand, but hardly any Pentax). It's actually a kit with the 18-55 and it is the equivalent of ~ $340 USD. I see them going for much more than that on Amazon.

Yes, I know it is a very old camera by now and will not stand up to today's camera but keep in mind I'm "upgrading" from a Canon EOS 450D (which is just getting trampled by any of my cell phones in just about any measure) and an old EOS M which has horrid focus speed, lousy battery life and is nearly unusable in bright sunlight (picked it up for chump change whilst working for a Canon subsidiary). I'm not a pro nor even a very good amateur

I do not have any Pentax lenses but I've been eyeing the K-70 or KP. The thought here is that I pick up this thing as a starter or 2nd body to beat around and save a bit of cash by just getting the newer body only. With some of he deals I see on a K-70, it's about the equivalent of me paying an extra $100 or so for a free K-50 body.

Really though, if it will beat my EOS 450D in image quality handily, that's already a win for me.

Any thoughts on this strategy?

12-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote
I found a new K-50 today at my local camera store (it's very sad, boxes and boxes of every other brand, but hardly any Pentax). It's actually a kit with the 18-55 and it is the equivalent of ~ $340 USD. I see them going for much more than that on Amazon.

Yes, I know it is a very old camera by now and will not stand up to today's camera but keep in mind I'm "upgrading" from a Canon EOS 450D (which is just getting trampled by any of my cell phones in just about any measure) and an old EOS M which has horrid focus speed, lousy battery life and is nearly unusable in bright sunlight (picked it up for chump change whilst working for a Canon subsidiary). I'm not a pro nor even a very good amateur

I do not have any Pentax lenses but I've been eyeing the K-70 or KP. The thought here is that I pick up this thing as a starter or 2nd body to beat around and save a bit of cash by just getting the newer body only. With some of he deals I see on a K-70, it's about the equivalent of me paying an extra $100 or so for a free K-50 body.

Really though, if it will beat my EOS 450D in image quality handily, that's already a win for me.

$340 for the K-50 with a lens is a really good price. That's actually a little bit below what it was selling for the month it got discontinued. The image quality is still fairly competitive.

Since some K-50's are known to suffer from the aperture block problem, I would ensure that the camera comes with warranty (it should), as then you'll be covered. The aperture block issue seems to manifest itself with age if the body turns out to be affected.

The K-70 is an amazing value too, so I think you'd be really happy with it as your main body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Add an extended warranty if you can. The k-50 is a very nice camera. 16mp Sony sensor is a sweet spot in apsc.
12-31-2017, 04:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lest we forget full weatherproofing (if its the WR kit lens) and there is many a good tune played on an old fiddle :0)

12-31-2017, 05:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera will work nicely with some legacy Pentax K lenses too, probably much better than your 450D would ever do using an adapter to Canon EF.
Seeing someone part with their Canon gear and move to Pentax might make other Canon users think.
Not that I am anti Canon, I have a 300D and 20D, just have not enjoyed using my FD and M42 lenses on them using adapters.
12-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a soft-spot for the K-50 and use mine almost everyday (it's a backup to my K-3) - if you can get the warranty and possibly an extended warranty, I would have no hesitation in buying it....
01-01-2018, 03:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very important question

What colour is it?

Some if the combinations are hideous lol

Re lenses, I got a gorgeous 135mm f3.5 pentax -m for £30. Once you get into manual lenses the world is your oyster providing you check first that it is convertible. Canon and micro 4/3 lenses are no go, yashica c/y adds extra glass but m42, adaptall 2 amongst others work great. Then you have the Pentax k, ka, kaf, I think there is a list on here, if not then google has the answers. As for the lenses, many of the 3rd party ones have been reviewed on here. Happy hunting

01-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Add an extended warranty if you can. The k-50 is a very nice camera. 16mp Sony sensor is a sweet spot in apsc.
Indeed the sensor (Sony Exmor) is a cracker and the same one as my K30.

K50 old? No way as I am still buying expensive glass (Limiteds and * lenses) all for my K30. Just got the HD DA 20-40 f2.8 - f4 Limited for it.

There are Japan made solenoids available to fix the aperture block fault if it does happen.
01-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Indeed the sensor (Sony Exmor) is a cracker and the same one as my K30.

K50 old? No way as I am still buying expensive glass (Limiteds and * lenses) all for my K30. Just got the HD DA 20-40 f2.8 - f4 Limited for it.

There are Japan made solenoids available to fix the aperture block fault if it does happen.
I am glad you wrote that. I am new to DSLRs and have started with a K30. I love it but then I don't have the experience to know better, so it is great to hear those in the know singing its praises. Footnote to what I said about the m42 lenses, it seems they don't all fit but like everything else, there is a thread on here full of brilliant advice.
01-02-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I am glad you wrote that. I am new to DSLRs and have started with a K30. I love it but then I don't have the experience to know better, so it is great to hear those in the know singing its praises. Footnote to what I said about the m42 lenses, it seems they don't all fit but like everything else, there is a thread on here full of brilliant advice.
Glad to hear I have some small purpose...

All M42 will fit Pentax as I think they invented it along with the first SLR. I recommend you get the genuine Pentax M42 adapter though as I did after nearly wrecking my K30 with a cheapo adapter... However not cheap, I paid more than £30 for mine but boxed and in collector's condition.

I have bought/sold loads of manual lenses... One I kept was the M 35-70mm f2.8-f3.5 which is a seriously good legacy zoom, another the M200 f4 and M50 f1.4

The M series is good but the previous K series made from 1975-1977 are gorgeous, best built like tanks and a bit better for primes. The K135 f3.5 is a great lens (own 2 of these) although there is the f2.5 version which is great but not at infinity. Amongst others I have, the K28 f3.5 and K35 f3.5 are much sought after.

Pentax K Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

An M42 lens I recommend is the Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5. I got the electric version for about £40. CZ lenses are really nice!
01-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by EFats Quote

What did you decide on?

Thanks
01-05-2018, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All M42 will fit Pentax as I think they invented it along with the first SLR.
Just as an off-topic note: It wasn't until 1957 that Ashai adopted the M42x1 thread, they used smaller diameters earlier. M42x1 had been used by the post-war east German cameras about 10 years earlier: prototypes first shown 1946 for the Contax S, 1948 used in Praktiflex, followed 1949 by the first Praktica. All from Dresden, where also the first 35mm SLR, the Kine-Exakta was built. Even the name "Pentax" was purchased from Dresden. It was a registered trade mark, formed originally out of "Pentaprism Contax". Guess what Pentacon stands for ...
01-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Cheers for the info, amazing it came from Dresden considering the wreckage occuring in the war. Also amazing how the Japanese recovered too so quickly, however I'm from the '3rd world' where the Titanic ship was built 😂
01-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Cheers for the info, amazing it came from Dresden considering the wreckage occuring in the war. Also amazing how the Japanese recovered too so quickly, however I'm from the '3rd world' where the Titanic ship was built 😂
The U.S. paid to rebuild Germany after the war. At one point U.S. manufacturing was at a serious disadvantage because under the Marshall plan, Germany was retooled with all modern (for the day) equipment, while many U/S. companies were using out dated equipment.... but I digress.
01-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The U.S. paid to rebuild Germany after the war.
Those funds were not relevant to the above cameras. They exclusively went to the other part of Germany. The soviet sector, later the GDR, needed a lot longer for (relative) economic recovery.
A significant share of the camera production and remaining production equipment from the eastern sector went to the Soviet Union as part of reparations.