Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
In knee deep and going in deeper...

I've been a Pentax user for a long time. My last purchase was the K50. The lure of using older K mount lenses sealed the deal. But then of course I had to have the newer versions and consequently I have entrenched myself in Pentax again. I liked the K50 enough that I bought a second body used. It wasn't long until K50 # 2 developed shutter stutter ( for lack of a better description). I sent it in to the Pentax hospital and is is determined that a new main board is needed at an expected cost of about $275 plus shipping. Just as that news was sinking in, K50 #1 developed aperture block failure (it's been a bad month). So... I determined that I will send #1 off to get the aperture block issue fixed but not repair #2.
I'm lacking faith that the repair on #1 will last much longer than the warranty period of the repair, but I am motivated to get a K50 back even if it is possibly for a short time. So with more money invested in lenses than a hobbyist really should have, I have decided to get another body that is likely to last awhile. After much comparison I elected for a nearly new k5IIs. Reports seem to show that body as relatively robust, and the photo quality will suit my hobbyist needs. Perhaps an intervention is in order

01-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nah you don't need an intervention, you just have to wait to buy your 55-300 PLM until you get your K-50 back. Since I looked at getting a second body (K-5II) but I love the PLM 55-300 and it wouldn't be usable on that body, so I will just save my pennies and dimes till I can afford a KP or K-3II successor.
01-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The K-5IIs is built like a tank & has that wonderful 16mp Sony sensor. You should have zero problems with it.

The only downside is that no firmware was ever released for future KAF4 lens compatibility like the Pentax DA 55-300mm PLM & probably never will. It probably wont matter in your case, though, since you like to use older lenses.

In actuality, if you really like using manual aperture ring lenses & don't plan on using modern lenses, you don't really need to fix the aperture motor at all. Save the money for another body. But if you do want to use modern autofocus lenses without manual aperture rings, then yeah. You'll need to fix that.
01-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #4

I'm lacking faith that the repair on #1 will last much longer than the warranty period of the repair, but I am motivated to get a K50 back even if it is possibly for a short time.

I had Precision do the aperture repair almost one year ago on my K-500 (basically the K-50 with out tall the weather seals and a couple of outer bits) and it has worked perfectly since then. They did a full CLA and updated he firmware as well. Of course I did buy a used K-3 from the Marketplace and am very happy I did!

Jim Fellows

01-22-2018, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can replace the 30 ohm solenoid yourself if you're that way inclined.

01-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Norcal_Mike Quote
I've been a Pentax user for a long time. My last purchase was the K50. The lure of using older K mount lenses sealed the deal. But then of course I had to have the newer versions and consequently I have entrenched myself in Pentax again. I liked the K50 enough that I bought a second body used. It wasn't long until K50 # 2 developed shutter stutter ( for lack of a better description). I sent it in to the Pentax hospital and is is determined that a new main board is needed at an expected cost of about $275 plus shipping. Just as that news was sinking in, K50 #1 developed aperture block failure (it's been a bad month). So... I determined that I will send #1 off to get the aperture block issue fixed but not repair #2.
I'm lacking faith that the repair on #1 will last much longer than the warranty period of the repair, but I am motivated to get a K50 back even if it is possibly for a short time. So with more money invested in lenses than a hobbyist really should have, I have decided to get another body that is likely to last awhile. After much comparison I elected for a nearly new k5IIs. Reports seem to show that body as relatively robust, and the photo quality will suit my hobbyist needs. Perhaps an intervention is in order
Do you happen to know the manufacture date of the one with the aperture block issue? The shutter count facility on this site can tell you.

01-22-2018, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can replace the 30 ohm solenoid yourself if you're that way inclined.
+1
Or file down the horseshoe-shaped iron core... which requires some manual skills, but allows you to bypass the unsoldering-soldering steps, which could be tricky given the size of the parts involved.

01-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #8
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
In actuality, if you really like using manual aperture ring lenses & don't plan on using modern lenses, you don't really need to fix the aperture motor at all. Save the money for another body.
I haven't fixed my K-30 and never will, as I bought K-5 to work as second body. I can use it for AF lenses. K-30 will serve as my manual only body.
01-22-2018, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

K-5s are awesome, K-70s are awesomer. Just saying.
01-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts, comments, and suggestions. This support is what makes the Pentax world great!
01-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Do you happen to know the manufacture date of the one with the aperture block issue? The shutter count facility on this site can tell you.
Manufacture date 1/13/2014

Shutter count was only 1186
01-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

With that kind of shutter count, did it lie unused for several weeks just before it failed?? I'm beginning to think that using them consistently is a way to keep them running.
01-23-2018, 06:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Mine is
Manufacture date 2014-08-12 (August I assume).
Still working but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

01-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #14

I have decided to keep my defunked K50 in its sadden state and look for manual lens. It will force me to learn more about photography and my camera. I still love using my k50 and will try to get a little faster with the manual lenses (I'm quite slow). Still, a new camera is in the works for those shots that I won't have time to fiddle with using the manual systems.
If the weather allows (snow), I'm going to a camera store (about 90 miles away)tomorrow to check out his lenses. Says he has several so we go see and maybe resurrect the K50's usability.
01-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
With that kind of shutter count, did it lie unused for several weeks just before it failed?? I'm beginning to think that using them consistently is a way to keep them running.
You may be onto something there, but who knows. Good equipment shouldn't die so young.

---------- Post added 01-23-18 at 08:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jason Borne Quote
I have decided to keep my defunked K50 in its sadden state and look for manual lens. It will force me to learn more about photography and my camera. I still love using my k50 and will try to get a little faster with the manual lenses (I'm quite slow). Still, a new camera is in the works for those shots that I won't have time to fiddle with using the manual systems.
If the weather allows (snow), I'm going to a camera store (about 90 miles away)tomorrow to check out his lenses. Says he has several so we go see and maybe resurrect the K50's usability.
Happy hunting. Read the reviews on the lenses before purchase. There are some gems out there. Don't overlook Ebay, Craigslist and the Marketplace here for manual lenses.