Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Winterthur
Photos: Albums
Posts: 564
The solenoid is usually save from the following bodies:
*ist (all versions)
K100D, K110D, K200D
K10D
K2000 (Km)

Sometimes good, sometimes too strong solenoids in MZ6, MZ7, MZ50. Also sometimes opposite polarity in those.

I have found green solenoids in:
K100D, K110D, K200D, K2000 (Km) Kx, Kr.
Not so in any *ist (DS, DS2, DL, DL2) or K10D or K20D, only white solenoid of superior quality[COLOR=Silver]


Last edited by MarkJerling; 04-30-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Confrontational content removed.
04-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #17
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 259
Thanks for the list of "good" solenoids photogem. My only concern resulting from that is how you tell, without measuring equipment, if a solenoid is too strong. The polarity doesn't worry me, as I presume all this means is reversing the wires to the solenoid connections. I have both a K30 and K50, and had thought to cannibalise my K100D if a problem arose. Now, I think I'd like to preserve the K100D in working order, so picking up a cheap non-working early Pentax seems a good plan.

Thanks again
05-01-2018, 12:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Winterthur
Photos: Albums
Posts: 564
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
Thanks for the list of "good" solenoids photogem. My only concern resulting from that is how you tell, without measuring equipment, if a solenoid is too strong.
It is a good idea to first study a thread well enough: Because here I do explain
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
The polarity doesn't worry me, as I presume all this means is reversing the wires to the solenoid connections. I have both a K30 and K50, and had thought to cannibalise my K100D if a problem arose. Now, I think I'd like to preserve the K100D in working order, so picking up a cheap non-working early Pentax seems a good plan.
Yes, polarity can be changed by reversing the wires. Nevertheless polarity best is checked prior swapping solenoids because
a) soldering to much can cause damage on both ends, i.e. on the solenoid itself (here one would have to extend the wires in an intelligent way)
b) on the other end on the circuitboard in the top cover of the K30/50 etc.

I would neither sacrifice a working K100D because I quite like the CCD Sensor in the old Pentax DLSR's.
05-01-2018, 03:02 AM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 259
Thanks again, photogem, for the information. I have been following the various threads on this subject, dipping into them as each seems to be updated from time to time, and I have retained copies of some threads should it be necessary for me to attempt a repair on either my K30 or K50.

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
It is a good idea to first study a thread well enough: Because here I do explain

I'm pretty sure I had read the post on the above link, but had forgotten about it when I made my comment a few postings back. Thanks for the link.


QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Yes, polarity can be changed by reversing the wires. Nevertheless polarity best is checked prior swapping solenoids because
a) soldering to much can cause damage on both ends, i.e. on the solenoid itself (here one would have to extend the wires in an intelligent way)
b) on the other end on the circuitboard in the top cover of the K30/50 etc.
I have yet to open any of the cameras, so would decide how to proceed after seeing for myself and re-reading the advice on the forum. Soldering doesn't worry me. Another interest for me is model railways and I have built various etched brass kits and done plenty of electrical and constructional soldering from relatively heavy stuff through to very tiny parts. I have 145 degree solder and a 12v soldering iron powered from a variable voltage source which together I think reduce the risks to the components.

It is the nature of how a resolution to this problem has been arrived at that means the information has to be viewed across a number of threads, which have sometimes been contradictory even on quite specific points. I hope my cameras do not develop this issue, but I hope I am reasonably well prepared, and I would go back and review all the information before embarking on an actual repair.

Thanks again,

Colin

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, apreture, camera, design, f40, f5.6, failure, iso, issue, issues, k-30, k-50, k100d, k10d, k110d, lamp, pentax k30, pentax k50, problem, series, settings, shot, shots, solenoid, supplier, vacation
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nothing but failures on the bay k22 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 39 07-02-2016 08:55 AM
Nature ANZANG Failures Murra54 Post Your Photos! 10 04-16-2016 07:02 PM
No more SDM failures? -Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Taviali Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 03-13-2012 10:01 AM
New MAC user looking for input about Apreture vievetrick Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 8 04-16-2009 08:54 AM
DA* 50-135mm failures? Toshi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 01-29-2009 11:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top