Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Bad Lens, camera or bad photographer?

I've looked at some threads about blurry photos, and learned a good bit. So, this may be an old subject, but I hope it is okay to ask, and it is in the correct forum.

I have a K50, and enjoy it. used it a good bit, although not nearly as much as I would like to!
So, I bought a cheap, very cheap, used Sigma 100-300 lens, have the aperture setting on "A", thinking that means I can set the aperture with the camera.

My problem is, that I cannot get a clear picture to save myself! I've tried to attach a sized down sample, and on this picture I tried focusing on the white sign. There is a range of 100 feet to probably a couple of thousand feet (trees in background), and nothing looks to be in good focus.

The setting was at F10, 1/2000 second. Shake reduction was on, and I was resting the camera on the roof of my car, so it should have been pretty steady? Plus, with that shutter speed, I can't imagine me shaking the camera to blur everything?

Any suggestions, other than chunking the cheap glass...which I haven't totally ruled out...I'd like to see if there is something I didn't do, should have done, or done differently before I just write it off as bad glass.

Scott

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astronomersmith Quote
Plus, with that shutter speed, I can't imagine me shaking the camera to blur everything?
Use 2 sec timer when you place the camera on a tripod or some other platform. 2 sec timer removes another big factor, which is the pressing of the button. When people push the shutter button they often press it really hard, suddenly, which shakes the camera. 2 sec timer will also do Mirror up mode, which removes another factor. When the mirror moves it causes some vibrations. More on some cameras than others. But 2 sec timer is MLU so you don't have to worry about mirror. Oh, and 2 sec timer turns off SR. SR should not be enabled when you are using tripod or something. SR is also not for panorama photos. SR is only for handheld and moving photos.

The photo does not seem super terrible to me. That is about what you get with a cheap telephoto. Of course, I only see a small resized photo. If you want us to see the detail, you need to upload a 100% crop of the in-focus area. There are some threads about how to make a crop like that. Basically you just make a copy of the photo that is cropped down to only some the middle area. Then you save without resizing.

You can do some other things, like post processing. If you shoot raw, you can add sharpness and contrast. If you shoot jpeg, you can change some of the jpeg settings. For example, change the jpeg mode to Film reversal, play with the clarity and sharpness sliders to add a little..

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-31-2018 at 03:18 PM.
01-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #3

Can't comment on the lens but with camera resting on car try turning shake reduction off
01-31-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, the SR would be working against you if you don't have any shake to reduce, it should be off if not handheld.

However, you seem to suggest that all images you take with the lens are equally soft? Are they all tripod/supported shots or does this also happen handheld?

01-31-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Use 2 sec timer when you place the camera on a tripod or some other platform. 2 sec timer removes another big factor, which is the pressing of the button. When people push the shutter button they often press it really hard, suddenly, which shakes the camera. 2 sec timer will also do Mirror up mode, which removes another factor. When the mirror moves it causes some vibrations. More on some cameras than others. But 2 sec timer is MLU so you don't have to worry about mirror. Oh, and 2 sec timer turns off SR. SR should not be enabled when you are using tripod or something. SR is also not for panorama photos. SR is only for handheld and moving photos.

The photo does not seem super terrible to me. That is about what you get with a cheap telephoto. Of course, I only see a small resized photo. If you want us to see the detail, you need to upload a 100% crop of the in-focus area. There are some threads about how to make a crop like that. Basically you just make a copy of the photo that is cropped down to only some the middle area. Then you save without resizing.

You can do some other things, like post processing. If you shoot raw, you can add sharpness and contrast. If you shoot jpeg, you can change some of the jpeg settings. For example, change the jpeg mode to Film reversal, play with the clarity and sharpness sliders to add a little..

I will try to do that soon, but my concern is that nothing in a wide range on this photo is sharp and "in focus", in my opinion? Also, as an addendum...I took pictures of the lunar eclipse last night with this lens. I couldn't get the moon to be clear enough to see any craters, rays, or even mares were barely discernable. I think I deleted all those blurry moons, or I'd send one of them too. On those, I did use the 2 sec delay option, I knew that might help. But it didn't.
On the moon, I gave up on my 300 and put in my original kit lens 70-200 that came with my K50, and while smaller image naturally, at least it was acceptably in focus. That made me think my 100-300 lens is just terrible.

And that is bad, because I was hoping to use it for some bird photography on bright sunny days. I did shoot a red shouldered hawk, and it was slightly blurry too, but I assumed that was because it was a hand held shot. Now, I'm thinking it is just the lens. Thank you for your help!

Scott
01-31-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As many said, SR should be off if you are not handheld the camera.

and I guess you will have to see what is the sweet sport for the zoom you have.
I also have a consumer level tel-zoom which is not very good at its short and long end of the zoom distance.
In my case, it is a FA80-320, and Its sweet spot is at around 150-250.
Like this image I tested it at around 220 mm f5.6, handheld, focus at the white sculpture behine (a larger copy is here)
it looks totally ok, but at 80 or 300-320 mm, same location and light, it is a kind of... crap!
so...may be you want to do more test on a tripod (SR off), 2 sec timmer or remote control in variate distance and f-stop to see what is your lens sweet sport.
01-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #7

Can't see clearly from the small pic you have sent, but before you despair try some focus adjustment.. Could be the lens is misfocussing.

I don't know where you will find it in the k50, but if there is an option called AF Microadjust or something like that. It let's you adjust the lens (or camera) for front or back focusing.

Dial a few values in (e.g. +5, - 5, +10, -10) taking a picture after each change, and see if any are better focused. If so there is a problem with focus and you may be able to help with proper adjustment.. Just Google AF microadjust for an actual tutorial (what I describe above is just a quick search for the problem).

01-31-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photo looks fine to me. It is however focused at infinity (trees) by the loos of it. Was that the goal? It could be back focusing.
01-31-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Looks back-focused to me, too. Try focusing in live-view
01-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It could be many things, it's very hard to tell from that photo.. Those older Sigma zooms are not known for their sharpness. I've had a few and there is a huge variance from copy to copy and many seem to do a much better job when the subject is closer. Resting it on the car with SR on would cause shake. Use the timer, or better yet a wireless remote and three second delay when on a tripod or sitting on anything. Try some controlled tests, preferably on a tripod, use autofocus on a clear target with lots of contrast, and also try it with manual focus using focus peaking on live view and magnify that. With the manual method you should be able to get near perfect focus and can see how sharp the lens actually is. Make sure you are shooting at the highest resolution and don't downsize your files for testing.
01-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your photo doesn't look that bad. It may be accentuating some haze since you have it zoomed in (telephotos tend to bring out haze), but that would be normal. Focus isn't spot on, but not sure what you were focused on. The sign just below center is reasonably sharp. As suggested, try a good solid shot and manually focus using liveview - then check that portion of the image (used for sharp focus) compared with a shot using autofocus.

Moon shots are another question and can be challenging so don't base your judgment on that type of photo. If you have a time exposure of the moon, keep in mind the moon is moving and that can blur an image. The full moon can be exposed the same as a daylight shot with a short shutter speed and would make a better subject than the fully eclipsed moon. Keep experimenting as it will take some time to get a feel for your equipment and ring out any issues that might exist.
01-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your photo doesn't look that bad. It may be accentuating some haze since you have it zoomed in (telephotos tend to bring out haze), but that would be normal. Focus isn't spot on, but not sure what you were focused on. The sign just below center is reasonably sharp. As suggested, try a good solid shot and manually focus using liveview - then check that portion of the image (used for sharp focus) compared with a shot using autofocus.

Moon shots are another question and can be challenging so don't base your judgment on that type of photo. If you have a time exposure of the moon, keep in mind the moon is moving and that can blur an image. The full moon can be exposed the same as a daylight shot with a short shutter speed and would make a better subject than the fully eclipsed moon. Keep experimenting as it will take some time to get a feel for your equipment and ring out any issues that might exist.
02-01-2018, 01:39 AM   #13

From the look of it, it looks like the telephone pole to the upper left is fairly in focus.

I agree with others to check into changing focus settings. Might help.

Certainly doesn't look terribly fuzzy... just mainly out of focus for the most part. Which, for half the image, being much closer, would be normal anyways.
02-01-2018, 02:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others said, no need for SR if the camera is on a stable platform, but at 1/2000" at 300mm, the SR is not to blame.

Itʻs partly that lens and partly the nature of telephoto zooms. You did indicate it was a "cheap, very cheap" lens. Now you know why. But also keep in mind that at 300mm, you are shooting through a lot of atmospheric dust and air perturbation which contributes to the lack of sharpness and color saturation.

Put a modern digital lens on your K-50, even one that is low on the wish list, a Pentax DA 50-200mm, and youʻll see much better results.
02-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Astronomersmith Quote
Sigma 100-300 lens
I have this lens, purchased with an SA-7 film camera kit about 15-years ago. It is very, very soft on a good day except when in 'macro' mode, then it is surprisingly good for a very, very soft lens. I last used it about a year ago on the sa-7 (the only body it fits with an sa-mount) at a race track, but never got to see the results because the film failed to rewind, which I did not realize until I opened the back. I suggest you get a fixed-focus long tele and stay way from zooms, unless you are prepared to pay big bucks.