Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K30 aperture problems

Hello members,
Last week I bought a used (previously owned!!) Pentax K30 $180 USD). The next day I discovered that pictures through the EV are all black. After some research on line I found several articles, including threads on this site, explaining the problem with the K30 and the K50. I realize this has been discussed before but I am wondering if any other solutions have reared their heads. My solution is to use multi exposure mode, at least half the images are OK. I'm not yet willing to try the Russian solution of dismantling the camera, maybe later!! I also have a K-S2 so I'm not stuck with the K30. When I bought the camera there was no SD card and everything appeared fine. Lesson learned there, always bring an SD card and check the result!! I like the camera and everything else works well. So is there any new solution? Thanks for the input.

02-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brjs Quote
Hello members,
Last week I bought a used (previously owned!!) Pentax K30 $180 USD). The next day I discovered that pictures through the EV are all black. After some research on line I found several articles, including threads on this site, explaining the problem with the K30 and the K50. I realize this has been discussed before but I am wondering if any other solutions have reared their heads. My solution is to use multi exposure mode, at least half the images are OK. I'm not yet willing to try the Russian solution of dismantling the camera, maybe later!! I also have a K-S2 so I'm not stuck with the K30. When I bought the camera there was no SD card and everything appeared fine. Lesson learned there, always bring an SD card and check the result!! I like the camera and everything else works well. So is there any new solution? Thanks for the input.
The only permanent solution is to replace the solenoid as described in this article (or get it fixed at a service center):
K-50 / K-500 Aperture Solenoid fix (DIY with pics) - PentaxForums.com

You can try to rapidly cycle and shutter to try to "unstick" the actuator, but the benefit will only be temporary.

An alternative would be to use M42 lenses only.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
*snip*

Actually K/M lenses, or A/F/... lenses should work just as fine, provided that you use the aperture ring (and keep it off the "A" position) in the case of the latter group.
02-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try the AA battery adapter, it will work for few thousand pics then your only solution is 'Surgery and replace parts'.

I was nervous in the beginning, but glad I did it, K50 is working fine now.

02-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Gentelmen, Thanks for the input. Multiple exposure or manual operation better than no solution. (One day with the screw driver.!!)
02-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brjs Quote
Gentelmen, Thanks for the input. Multiple exposure or manual operation better than no solution. (One day with the screw driver.!!)
Not a day... it's more like 2h, give or take. If I were to do it again, I'm confident I could do it in 1.
02-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The only permanent solution is to replace the solenoid as described in this article (or get it fixed at a service center):
K-50 / K-500 Aperture Solenoid fix (DIY with pics) - PentaxForums.com

You can try to rapidly cycle and shutter to try to "unstick" the actuator, but the benefit will only be temporary.

The "rapid cycle" solution endangers the shutter. I'm running my K-30 off AA batteries, and if it does fail, my plan is to use manual lenses {I have several Takuma prime lenses and several AdaptAll zoom lenses ready-to-go}

02-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Not a day... it's more like 2h, give or take. If I were to do it again, I'm confident I could do it in 1.
If and when I get the part it's a go!!

---------- Post added 02-05-18 at 08:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The "rapid cycle" solution endangers the shutter. I'm running my K-30 off AA batteries, and if it does fail, my plan is to use manual lenses {I have several Takuma prime lenses and several AdaptAll zoom lenses ready-to-go}
Thanks for the reminder, rapid cycle is not good for the shutter!
02-06-2018, 01:15 AM   #9

You don't need to use the shutter, assign the optical depth of field preview to the FX button and only exercise the actuator. Mine is still working like this for more than a year. The final solution is a white solenoid.
02-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
You don't need to use the shutter, assign the optical depth of field preview to the FX button and only exercise the actuator. Mine is still working like this for more than a year. The final solution is a white solenoid.
Tried your solution and it works partially. Sometimes I have to push the FX button before the shutter and then the picture is OK. Thanks.
02-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #11

Some times I have to hit FX a dozen times other two or three will do, but after it's unstuck it works until I shut it down. It's now part of my K30 shooting ritual
02-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

To be honest, Brj, why would you not take it back to its owner and get a refund?
02-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
Some times I have to hit FX a dozen times other two or three will do, but after it's unstuck it works until I shut it down. It's now part of my K30 shooting ritual
Good to know, when using the K30 I will make it part of the ritual. Thx.

---------- Post added 02-06-18 at 08:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
To be honest, Brj, why would you not take it back to its owner and get a refund?
I reached out to the owner and we argued back and forth a little bit. I cant prove it did not work when I tried it. I feel sure he must have known but maybe not. The camera works well except for the glitch. I do not know where he lives. I will live with it!!
02-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah I guess not all sellers are straightforward when selling a K-30 or similar camera, and not all buyers know beforehand...
Pentax should have recalled all the affected camera models, and stopped using that piece in newly released ones...
02-09-2018, 07:08 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yeah I guess not all sellers are straightforward when selling a K-30 or similar camera, and not all buyers know beforehand...
Pentax should have recalled all the affected camera models, and stopped using that piece in newly released ones...
Yes it would have been great PR if Pentax had admitted the problem and offered a reasonably priced solution. I doubt it would have affected sales! In my area now there is a white K30 for sale with a 35mm lens. It is tempting but having been burnt once..... Asking price $400 Canadian. Oh well.........