Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Thanks Norm! nice pictures. As much as I try, I've never got a good picture of a chipping sparrow. They are just starting to show up in my yard now.
@Astronomersmith The bluebirds already made a nest in my box. They are a lot tougher than I expected. So far they chased away northern mockingbirds, northern cardinals and even blue jays and red wing blackbirds from the territory around my (their) nest box. There should not be a problem with the chipping sparrows. I would not think they would do more than occasionally perch on top of the box, especially if there are no trees around it. They nest in shrubs or trees, not birdhouses. If, however you have house sparrows around, that is another matter and a real problem.

I can't tell what is happening in my bluebird house. It seems that the sparrows, the bluebirds all visit and even go in the house, so I am not sure who is nesting or if it is just a 'turf war', so to speak. The birds will not let the others use it? I've also seen a red winged blackbird on it too, but they are way too big to go inside it. I never realized that putting up a bluebird house would cause such a ruckus in my yard!

Scott

04-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Astronomersmith Quote
I can't tell what is happening in my bluebird house. It seems that the sparrows, the bluebirds all visit and even go in the house, so I am not sure who is nesting or if it is just a 'turf war', so to speak. The birds will not let the others use it? I've also seen a red winged blackbird on it too, but they are way too big to go inside it. I never realized that putting up a bluebird house would cause such a ruckus in my yard!

Scott
Hello Scott

You may want to open the box one afternoon when the activity seems quiet and check what is going on inside. I have opened mine a couple times last year even while lady blue was inside. I tapped on the side of the box and either it was unoccupied or the occupant flew out. This way I could check what is inside. I worried big time about traumatizing the birds but I got 5 bluebirds on first nesting and 4 more in the second nesting and they got used to me being around, even with the lawn mower and weed whacker. If there is a nest and it is fine grass it is likely bluebirds, if sticks, wrens and if the box seems to be filled with all sorts of trash, then its house sparrows. Whatever is in your box, the male bird will likely be sitting on top of it guarding it. You do not want house sparrows inside. Check the picture that Norm posted. If I had house sparrows inside, I would close up the box and relocate it next year. If you have any other native bird, especially tree swallows, titmice, chickadees or Carolina wrens, let them nest, enjoy them and take pictures. The RW blackbirds will not nest in the box, they are just passing through. I had dozens of them in my yard a few weeks ago but they are all gone now. Right now, the bluebirds have a nest in my box, but no eggs yet.

John

Last edited by jddwoods; 04-12-2018 at 05:13 PM.