Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
On the newer lenses, the serial number is a sticker that is easily peeled off, so even if you record the serial number your lenses might be undentifiable.
I've not noticed this. I'll have to look to see what you mean. The internal data may still contain the numbers - but that's a lot harder to access.

04-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I know this won’t help the OP, but everyone should have a list of serial numbers filed away. Maybe even photos of your lenses since that’s where most of the money is.

Do check a jpeg photo with the shutter count tool. It may have serial number in there. I don’t think it works from a processed raw file.
I have a few old JPEGs that I took with it, and I'll run them through an EXIF viewer when I get the chance, just in case any other info is in there that I can use.

At this point, I'm just looking at replacing what I lost, which sucks, but there are two important lessons learned: keep a record of all serial numbers, and for the love of all that's holy, get renters/homeowners insurance.
04-04-2018, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
I have a few old JPEGs that I took with it, and I'll run them through an EXIF viewer when I get the chance, just in case any other info is in there that I can use.

At this point, I'm just looking at replacing what I lost, which sucks, but there are two important lessons learned: keep a record of all serial numbers, and for the love of all that's holy, get renters/homeowners insurance.
I use a google sheet with my equipment in it. Helps with purchase and sales planning also.
Sorry this happened - always sucks when you lose stuff - doubly so when you think it might have been stolen. Dang!
04-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I've not noticed this. I'll have to look to see what you mean. The internal data may still contain the numbers - but that's a lot harder to access.
The serial number sticker on my DA 18-55mm wore off years ago.

04-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The serial number sticker on my DA 18-55mm wore off years ago.
So many of the lenses I see are DA* and Limited I forget that there are paper serial number stickers on the plastic bodied lenses. Don't get me wrong I have them and use them but the one's I handle and write down numbers from are mostly the DA* lenses I convert for customers!
04-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just got some help in getting the serial number from a JPEG image from the camera, and then uploaded it to the serial database, as previously instructed.

I also got around to filling out a police report and, ouch, grand total of everything that's missing/taken is just a hair over $1300... joy

Serial number is 6205108, btw
04-07-2018, 08:10 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hadn't realized the serial numbers on the newer lenses were on a sticker. I had my DA 35 2.4 in front of me, and sure enough, it's just a sticker. I'll have to check EXIF data on an image to see if it's also recorded there. If not, new lenses could be nearly impossible to recover if stolen.

10-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
HOLY [EXPLETIVE DELETED] I FOUND IT!

Pentax K-50 16.3MP DSLR Camera w/ Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 EX HSM Lens + more - electronics - by owner - sale

I'm frantically dialing the pawn shop to see if it's still there, but also I need to get the name of the detective who's in charge of my initial request to get the file updated.
10-16-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
HOLY [EXPLETIVE DELETED] I FOUND IT!

Pentax K-50 16.3MP DSLR Camera w/ Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 EX HSM Lens + more - electronics - by owner - sale

I'm frantically dialing the pawn shop to see if it's still there, but also I need to get the name of the detective who's in charge of my initial request to get the file updated.
Good luck! Great detective work!
10-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, I hope you get it back!