Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Possibly Stolen, definitely lost - K-50 with Sigma and Tamron lenses

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but just on the off chance that you guys know far more about what happens to stolen equipment, it seems that my camera backpack grew legs and walked off, along with the monitor for my baby monitor and a few other trinkets.

Fortunately, there were no important pictures left on the camera that I hadn't already downloaded, but it's still over $1k in equipment gone, and I don't have the serial numbers to keep track (fool me once...)

All in all, what was in the backpack was:

• K-50
  • Sigma 17-50 F2.8
  • Tamron 28 - 300
  • Pentax DA* 50 F1.8
  • 77mm filter kit (can't remember the brand)
  • Neewer Speedlite
  • Two batteries plus after-market charger (1x Pentax batt, 1x aftermarket batt)
  • 64GB Sandisk Ultra SD Card
  • 4GB Eyefi SD Card
  • Black and Orange Tri-pod (Can't remember the brand)
  • Google USB C charger with cable
  • Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet

I'm gonna start calling pawn shops in the area, but I'm pretty sure it's just gone. It sucks even more because most of that stuff was given as gifts over the past three years that I had the camera.

04-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear this! Where did you lose it?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Either in Burbank, CA or Pasadena, CA

I found a hat in my backyard that did not come from me, so I'm wondering if I accidentally left my car unlocked overnight... being a relatively new parent makes you do strange things, sometimes.
04-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark it so in the serial number database on the site.
Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

04-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Mark it so in the serial number database on the site.
Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
Unfortunately, I never jotted the serial number down.
04-03-2018, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Even here in my quiet town in the north suburbs of Atlanta, already a bit far from Atlanta actually, there's been multiple arrests of young men that had been going through neighborhoods and subdivisions during very late hours at night, checking car doors to see which ones are locked and which ones aren't. Whatever is in the cars is taken. House burglaries like that aren't as common since this is the South and everybody has a gun, but it does happen, and they have been successful by not waking the home owners up... In this day and age, you just can't leave stuff unlocked anymore... unfortunately it will be very hard to find it since you don't have a serial number, but don't lose hope! Look into pawn shops as you said, and check Craigslist as well, and maybe even Ebay.
Good luck and I hope you will still get to find it!
04-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Even here in my quiet town in the north suburbs of Atlanta, already a bit far from Atlanta actually, there's been multiple arrests of young men that had been going through neighborhoods and subdivisions during very late hours at night, checking car doors to see which ones are locked and which ones aren't. Whatever is in the cars is taken. House burglaries like that aren't as common since this is the South and everybody has a gun, but it does happen, and they have been successful by not waking the home owners up... In this day and age, you just can't leave stuff unlocked anymore... unfortunately it will be very hard to find it since you don't have a serial number, but don't lose hope! Look into pawn shops as you said, and check Craigslist as well, and maybe even Ebay.
Good luck and I hope you will still get to find it!
When we moved into this neighborhood, we thought it was pretty quiet and not TOOO skeezy. It's in a nice town, after all, just not in the nicest part.

Well... in the past six months, we've had squad cars on our street for various reasons, though primarily is an apparent drug lab/dealer's house a few doors down, and squatters in the house in front of that one.

I'll still check everything, and probably file a "stolen item" report with the PD, though if the baseball hat is all I have to go by, who knows what might happen.

04-03-2018, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry to hear, that really sucks.

Isn't the camera's serial number marked in the EXIF data? If so, you should be able to recover it from any of your photos... it might come in useful if you stumble across a K50 for sale.
04-03-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Serial numbers

If you have the warranty cards and/or paperwork that comes with most camera equipment the serial numbers are often there. Good luck.
04-03-2018, 01:15 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I’m now in law enforcement, here’s what you need to do:

You must report it stolen. Even if you find it at a pawn shop, there’s nothing you can do without a police report.

Do the best you can to obtain the serial numbers. AND describe your equipment, making note of any unusual markings, ie tape-glue-scratches and etc.

Last fall we busted a group of car burglers because one of the victims had used glue to repair his sunglasses which ended up in a pawn shop. Every detail counts.

Sorry for your loss, but good luck!
04-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #11

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
It's a long shot, but the store I buy from records the serial numbers of the kit you purchase so they would be able to look them up for me if heaven forbid I need them in the future. What they also provide is a copy of the receipt that can offer proof of purchase.
04-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could try Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera
K-50 is supported.

At the very least, you'll find your camera body serial number. Write that down and you'll have the serial number for the Police Report.
04-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #13

Bummer, man. That hurts. Hope you retrieve it all.
04-04-2018, 03:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know this won’t help the OP, but everyone should have a list of serial numbers filed away. Maybe even photos of your lenses since that’s where most of the money is.

Do check a jpeg photo with the shutter count tool. It may have serial number in there. I don’t think it works from a processed raw file.
04-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the newer lenses, the serial number is a sticker that is easily peeled off, so even if you record the serial number your lenses might be undentifiable.