Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

K-50 display color settings?

So with my aperture solenoid behaving itself for the time being after buying an AAdapter to use with my trusty Eneloops (knock on wood), I have been using the camera more happily again.

What sort of "LCD Display Settings" (*) do you guys use? It only recently struck me that mine was very much on the blue side (e.g. giving unnaturally blue sky), and required sliding blue/yellow almost all the way to the right. Man, what a difference. Suddenly my previews are actually looking realistic, and I can appreciate the display's nice viewing angles. I have also adjusted green/magenta 3 steps towards the latter, though this seems less critical.

Is this normal or could the LED backlight be somewhat worn out already? This camera was a refurb with a few thousand clicks on it, so I have no idea how much it would have been used and at what sort of brightness. I wouldn't be surprised to find a tint like that on an LED-backlit screen using white LEDs (= blue LEDs with phosphors), I just didn't expect it to go uncompensated at stock settings with barely any headroom to spare, you know?

My old K-x never required such extreme adjustments - I have it set to M2, combating some presumably age-related greening (on CCFLs, blue foremost and red second tend to fade faster than green for some reason, and if you had a fancy monitor its backlight would have been natively low on green when new, indicating long-life tubes, while a cheapie may always have been a bit greenish). Viewing angles definitely aren't up to par with the K-50's display though, I guess it's some sort of TN - but definitely of the better kind if so, I have seen any amount of TN PC/notebooks screens with plain terrible color shifts in one direction (Samsung panels and the like), and this has none of that.

*) = Liquid Crystal Display Display Settings, but that's what it says in the menu!

Last edited by 52mm; 04-09-2018 at 04:11 PM.
04-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you think the custom image profile has been messed with perhaps? Any significant shift to the LCD settings would seem a bit unusual to me.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: