Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Usual settings?

I'm curious if any of you use the settings I usually use on my DSLR's. I shoot mostly with either a K-50 or K-30. I use, almost exclusively the Av setting, with occasionally the M setting. I almost always use an ISO of 400 and occasionally 800, unless circumstances permit a lower ISO. In the "Custom Setting," most of the time, I use the "Natural" setting, with a slight up-tick in saturation and contrast..... and occasionally a little added fine sharpness.

So.... do any of you use settings anywhere close to these?

04-10-2018, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like using TAV or Manual usually, depending on shooting type. 400 or below ISO if possible, and AWB or Daylight white balance in flash or outdoor shooting. Usually Daylight with flash and AWB or Daylight when outdoors.
04-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I like using TAV or Manual usually, depending on shooting type. 400 or below ISO if possible, and AWB or Daylight white balance in flash or outdoor shooting.

Ditto on the AWB.
04-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

With jpegs I'll usually shoot M. ISO as appropriate to lighting and fstop/shutterspeed settings. If the light sources are mixed I'll use AWB, but usually I'll select the more appropriate one. Under artificial lights I'll often do a manual white balance. One difference is I always have sharpness at a minimum, I prefer to sharpen at the end of my workflow.

04-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep, almost 100% of the time in AV.

Almost all the time on ISO 100 but also almost all the time from a tripod or alternately with flash. 400 ISO when shooting people doing stuff or when lack of light forces the issue on critters. 1600 or even 3200 ISO when required to do indoor sports work (occasionally use media credentials to earn floor passes to closed events and end up shooting high ISO).

Manual focus 90% of the time due to dislike for centered subject and dislike for clicking through focus point selections. Landscape or intimate landscape work will often be shot at hyperfocal distance so no focus at all! I might set the hyperfocal and shoot without ever viewing through viewfinder or live view other than for framing. I do use the magnifying eyepiece and have great close up vision. Also force my eye doctor go light on glasses for terrible distance vision, then set viewfinder diopter correction to minus 1 (or where minus 1 would be on these unlabeled current models). Modern camera's try to focus on faces and the few times I shoot with people in the frame (less than 5% of the time), it's what they are doing that is the subject not their faces, so again, I'm back shooting manual focus.

JPEG setting has typically been Reversal Film to give me that Fuji transparency look, but limited sliders in that setting has me currently in Landscape with a few upticks. Note that one tick on Saturation is too much for my taste for flash lit or indoor stuff in the already saturation-boosted Landscape setting. One uptick on saturation seems decent outdoors.

I'm a white balance freak and typically bracket several different white balance settings for tricky colors like wildflowers or birds in breeding plumage--both of which I'm seeking accuracy rather than pop. My custom white balance presets are K5000, K5600 and K6000. I previously liked K5000 for it's neutrality and could modify in post as needed but am trending toward 5600 for the warmth. The newer Multi Auto White Balance for flash kicks butt and works above all expectations for me.

Have fun!
04-10-2018, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I almost always shoot RAW only, so I'm not concerned with the various JPEG processing options.

For non-flash photography I most frequently use TAv so I can set aperture and shutter speed manually, with ISO set automatically by the camera. The logic there is that I get to choose the settings that are essential to the creative aspects of the shot - depth of field and motion capture or blur. I'm happy with whatever ISO setting the camera gives me, even if it's much higher than I'd like, as without that I'd be unable to get the exact shot I want.

I'll occasionally use M, Av or Tv modes too depending on the individual situation.
04-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I too shoot raw exclusively.

Exposure mode tends to be Av 75% of the time. If you are predominantly a photographer of landscape/city/people this makes perfect sense, where DOF is the key ingredient in the picture. I use Manual when doing flash portraits and when using a tripod. Being brought up on film I was a late adopter of TAv mode, but since getting the K1 I use this now when photographing our dogs outside. The low noise of the K1 sensor and the PP options when shooting RAW make this the perfect mode for action shots for the reasons Mike mentions above.

WB is not so important during capture, and I generally use AWB or daylight, but the final choice of WB is left until PP.

When not using TAv mode my ISO setting is usually 200 for normal daylight, but if needed I happily use up to 1600 with noise free results. When using a tripod i use 100.

The takeaway from this is I believe the importance of tech improvements with sensor noise which allows us now to capture handheld shots with more flexibility than was possible 10 years ago.
04-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

I shoot DNG.

Mostly auto ISO depending on the light (I use 1/3rd steps). Never over 3200. Manual shutter and aperture. AWB.
Center area metering, center spot AF.S. Back-button focusing.
I have all sharpness turned off so I can pixel peep better where the focus is. It's very common to think "everything is okay" only to realize afterwards the focus is half an inch off or there's some fine blur.