Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

K-30 Aperture Repair Problem

So I was carrying out the DIY procedure to grind down the ends of the horseshoe piece to hopefully fix the black frame problem on my K-30 and everything went fine except when I was discharging the capacitor with my multimeter, my hand moved slightly and the lead slipped and shorted to the other lead which shorted the capacitor and emptied it with a loud crack. Now nothing seems to have been hurt by that, I went on with the repair and when it was reassembled the camera no longer responses to power on, it just stays black and nothing works. Interestingly when the camera was off, and the battery was in and left this way, the back of the camera felt warm but it doesn't make sense that anything else was damaged in the repair. I'm not sure how to proceed other than a full disassembly to look for damaged components. Anyone have a similar experience or advice on what I should do?

05-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Purevulcan Quote
So I was carrying out the DIY procedure to grind down the ends of the horseshoe piece to hopefully fix the black frame problem on my K-30 and everything went fine except when I was discharging the capacitor with my multimeter, my hand moved slightly and the lead slipped and shorted to the other lead which shorted the capacitor and emptied it with a loud crack. Now nothing seems to have been hurt by that, I went on with the repair and when it was reassembled the camera no longer responses to power on, it just stays black and nothing works. Interestingly when the camera was off, and the battery was in and left this way, the back of the camera felt warm but it doesn't make sense that anything else was damaged in the repair. I'm not sure how to proceed other than a full disassembly to look for damaged components. Anyone have a similar experience or advice on what I should do?
Refer responses in this thread: K-50 / K-500 Aperture Solenoid fix (DIY with pics) - Page 10 - PentaxForums.com
05-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This doesn't sound good. I suspect the motherboard is fried from the capacitor discharge which means the camera is not economically repairable.

The only other thing to try is a different battery. If it is still dead then the motherboard is most likely toast.
05-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
This doesn't sound good. I suspect the motherboard is fried from the capacitor discharge which means the camera is not economically repairable.

The only other thing to try is a different battery. If it is still dead then the motherboard is most likely toast.
I've tried two different batteries, same thing. But I shorted the cap across the metal leads going to it, in theory the circuit created was just the cap itself and nothing else

05-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have an SD card in and the door closed? If not the camera will act like it is dead on power up. Check the SD door microswitch is operating.

The other possibility is something became detached during surgery. A ribbon connector or something like that.
05-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Do you have an SD card in and the door closed? If not the camera will act like it is dead on power up. Check the SD door microswitch is operating.

The other possibility is something became detached during surgery. A ribbon connector or something like that.

I didn't look at the sd card door, I'll make sure to tomorrow and I double checked all the cables but I'll do that too
05-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
Update: I did a full disassembly today, unsoldered everything and broke everything down into pieces. None of the boards look damaged, nothing looked blown or broken. I reassembled everything and made sure to set all the cables good and check all the solder joints I made. The camera still doesnt power on with the SD card door closed and a card installed. The processor and sensor are both getting power as they heat up when the camera is turned on but the camera doesn't power on. I'm not sure at this point what is wrong with it. Any ideas?
05-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Purevulcan Quote
Update: I did a full disassembly today, unsoldered everything and broke everything down into pieces. None of the boards look damaged, nothing looked blown or broken. I reassembled everything and made sure to set all the cables good and check all the solder joints I made. The camera still doesnt power on with the SD card door closed and a card installed. The processor and sensor are both getting power as they heat up when the camera is turned on but the camera doesn't power on. I'm not sure at this point what is wrong with it. Any ideas?
As you know the components on the main board are incredibly tiny. As such, if you did cook something, it would be impossible or near impossible to see. Sad as it is, I think you now have a rather unique paperweight.

05-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Motherboard has gone. It's a parts camera at this point. Sorry.