Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-17-2018, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #1

Aperture block failure problem - a rethink

I was slow to move from manual slr cameras to automatic ones. I was slow to move to digital. Only when I believed the quality was good enough and the price had fallen did I take the plunge. This is just a little background to put in context a challenge.

I had a K100d. It had served me well but I thought it was time to move up. I liked the Pentax range, they felt like real cameras, and I had some old lenses from my film days.
I bought a used K30, only to find it had the dreaded abf problem. I searched the Internet for a solution, got it working for a time, until I had to accept it was dead.

As a replacement I bought a used K7, seemingly safe from the abf problem. This I have used happily for a while. Every now and then I try the K30 to see if I can get it back to life.

I've been on holiday in France for the past two weeks and took both cameras with me. I used the K30 when I was worried about damage on bikes etc., and used it with M/K/A/FA lenses, and really enjoyed the experience. I couldn't use lenses without aperture rings, but that magic green button is, well just magic !

It was like I was back to the '80s. Select the aperture, press the green button, the press the shutter. Really what could be easier. So I have to decide on the aperture, but it makes for quicker shooting unless you always accept the values given in other modes.

I was thinking about using the same method for the K7 but the position of the green button is nowhere near as good. OK I've got two cameras that work slightly differently. We'll you wouldn't need two the same, would you?

If you have a faulty camera in the cupboard, gathering dust, and a suitable lens, maybe a fixed prime, set yourself a challenge! Set the camera to M and take a trip into the past. See if there isn't something we're missing.

05-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tend to think that stop-down metering is simpler to deal with than green-button, but the green button certainly helps with K and M lenses.

The green button does seem like a good work-around for a camera with aperture block failure, just use the lens as you would a K or M series lens (If using an A, FA, DA, or D FA series lens).
05-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-S2 which started having the aperture block failure and sent it to Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair for repair. It cost $100.00 plus return shipping. The camera works great now.
05-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

After a year of having the ABF I'm still using the AA adapter on my K-30.

05-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mfd Quote
I had a K100d.

The K100D should have two solenoids of the "good" quality: one is in the aperture mechanism, the other opens the pop-up flash.
If you still have it, you can cannibalize the one from the pop-up flash release system and swap it with the bad one in your K-30.
Who cares if you have to push a button a couple of times in order to open the flash - on a very old camera, no less?

Edit: as detailed here by a forum member:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/340762-k-50-k-500-a...-diy-pics.html

Last edited by LensBeginner; 05-18-2018 at 06:05 AM.