Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #1

Since when did the K-50 have GPS?

Here's the story. I'm editing the shots I took today with my lovely white K-50, and the editing app is displaying the GPS logo in the bottom right corner of the image thumbnail. Given that I'm editing with Picasa (yes, I know I'm stupidly cheap), I figured it was bugging yet again. Nevertheless, I checked my K-50's settings and found menus for GPS that I have never seen before. I haven't updated the firmware recently, and when I used the camera last week there was no indication of GPS capability. Pentax, what's going on here? Has my K-50 been learning things from my new (to me) K-1? See attached images.

Thanks,
Regan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
06-20-2018, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It does not have built in GPS. It is compatible with the O-GPS1.

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Module 39012 B&H Photo Video
06-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted above, the K-50 is compatible with the O-GPS1. The menu options are available to allow setup prior to actually mounting the device in the field.

Steve
06-20-2018, 11:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, the K-50 is compatible with the O-GPS1. The menu options are available to allow setup prior to actually mounting the device in the field.

Steve
Hi Steve,

That makes perfect sense. However, what confuses me is why the pictures I took yesterday have GPS location data saved in the image file, whereas the pictures I took one week earlier at the same location, as well as the 30000 previous pictures taken over the past 5 years, have no GPS location data whatsoever. Spooky.

R.

06-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Indeed, no GPS on board. Did you have the O-GPS attached at the time of taking the photos that have GPS data with them? Could it be that you inadvertedly changed some setting somewhere? Otherwise, it's probably just the entry into force of the GDPR over here in Europe so that you now know even better than before what privacy you're giving up ;-)
06-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WellEquippedHack Quote
Hi Steve,

That makes perfect sense. However, what confuses me is why the pictures I took yesterday have GPS location data saved in the image file, whereas the pictures I took one week earlier at the same location, as well as the 30000 previous pictures taken over the past 5 years, have no GPS location data whatsoever. Spooky.

R.
The GPS menu settings should have always been there. (They are in the user guide!) As for EXIF data having location information...perhaps the pixies have been busy? Which tags are you seeing with location information? Are you sure the files are from the K-50 and not the K-1? (Sorry, I know that sounds dumb, but I had to ask.)

Steve
06-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The GPS menu settings should have always been there. (They are in the user guide!) As for EXIF data having location information...perhaps the pixies have been busy? Which tags are you seeing with location information? Are you sure the files are from the K-50 and not the K-1? (Sorry, I know that sounds dumb, but I had to ask.)

Steve
Hi Steve,

It's a perfectly legitimate question. I was definitely shooting with the K-50, as confirmed by the data imbedded into the image. The only GPS data imbedded into the image are latitude and longitude, which are consistent with the location where I took the picture. Given that I don't own an O-GPS, I am still mystified as to where the data came from.

To further muddy the waters, the images I took with the K-50 yesterday don't have any latitude and longitude data saved. Very spooky.

R.

06-27-2018, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by WellEquippedHack Quote
Here's the story. I'm editing the shots I took today with my lovely white K-50, and the editing app is displaying the GPS logo in the bottom right corner of the image thumbnail. Given that I'm editing with Picasa (yes, I know I'm stupidly cheap), I figured it was bugging yet again. Nevertheless, I checked my K-50's settings and found menus for GPS that I have never seen before. I haven't updated the firmware recently, and when I used the camera last week there was no indication of GPS capability. Pentax, what's going on here? Has my K-50 been learning things from my new (to me) K-1? See attached images.

Thanks,
Regan
Picasa was a great program, especially for photo organization. So I wouldn't say that you're cheap for using it.
06-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

As a user of Picasa and LViewPro v1.D2, I definitely resemble that remark Small and simple editors fit well with my way of thinking!
07-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Death89

Could it be that you also use an android phone, or iPhone with a Google account contributing to your location history?

I have had location data added to photos that way before. Had me foxed until I realised that was what was happening. Given that Picasa was also Google's doing I'd guess its a 'helpful' backend feature.