Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 4
Since when did the K-50 have GPS?

Here's the story. I'm editing the shots I took today with my lovely white K-50, and the editing app is displaying the GPS logo in the bottom right corner of the image thumbnail. Given that I'm editing with Picasa (yes, I know I'm stupidly cheap), I figured it was bugging yet again. Nevertheless, I checked my K-50's settings and found menus for GPS that I have never seen before. I haven't updated the firmware recently, and when I used the camera last week there was no indication of GPS capability. Pentax, what's going on here? Has my K-50 been learning things from my new (to me) K-1? See attached images.

Thanks,
Regan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
06-20-2018, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,009
It does not have built in GPS. It is compatible with the O-GPS1.

Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Module 39012 B&H Photo Video
06-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,403
As noted above, the K-50 is compatible with the O-GPS1. The menu options are available to allow setup prior to actually mounting the device in the field.


Steve
06-20-2018, 11:53 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, the K-50 is compatible with the O-GPS1. The menu options are available to allow setup prior to actually mounting the device in the field.


Steve
Hi Steve,

That makes perfect sense. However, what confuses me is why the pictures I took yesterday have GPS location data saved in the image file, whereas the pictures I took one week earlier at the same location, as well as the 30000 previous pictures taken over the past 5 years, have no GPS location data whatsoever. Spooky.

R.

06-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Appingedam
Posts: 171
Indeed, no GPS on board. Did you have the O-GPS attached at the time of taking the photos that have GPS data with them? Could it be that you inadvertedly changed some setting somewhere? Otherwise, it's probably just the entry into force of the GDPR over here in Europe so that you now know even better than before what privacy you're giving up ;-)
06-21-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,403
QuoteOriginally posted by WellEquippedHack Quote
Hi Steve,

That makes perfect sense. However, what confuses me is why the pictures I took yesterday have GPS location data saved in the image file, whereas the pictures I took one week earlier at the same location, as well as the 30000 previous pictures taken over the past 5 years, have no GPS location data whatsoever. Spooky.

R.
The GPS menu settings should have always been there. (They are in the user guide!) As for EXIF data having location information...perhaps the pixies have been busy? Which tags are you seeing with location information? Are you sure the files are from the K-50 and not the K-1? (Sorry, I know that sounds dumb, but I had to ask.)


Steve
06-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: May 2018
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The GPS menu settings should have always been there. (They are in the user guide!) As for EXIF data having location information...perhaps the pixies have been busy? Which tags are you seeing with location information? Are you sure the files are from the K-50 and not the K-1? (Sorry, I know that sounds dumb, but I had to ask.)


Steve
Hi Steve,

It's a perfectly legitimate question. I was definitely shooting with the K-50, as confirmed by the data imbedded into the image. The only GPS data imbedded into the image are latitude and longitude, which are consistent with the location where I took the picture. Given that I don't own an O-GPS, I am still mystified as to where the data came from.

To further muddy the waters, the images I took with the K-50 yesterday don't have any latitude and longitude data saved. Very spooky.

R.
06-27-2018, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: near Payson, Arizona
Posts: 123
QuoteOriginally posted by WellEquippedHack Quote
Here's the story. I'm editing the shots I took today with my lovely white K-50, and the editing app is displaying the GPS logo in the bottom right corner of the image thumbnail. Given that I'm editing with Picasa (yes, I know I'm stupidly cheap), I figured it was bugging yet again. Nevertheless, I checked my K-50's settings and found menus for GPS that I have never seen before. I haven't updated the firmware recently, and when I used the camera last week there was no indication of GPS capability. Pentax, what's going on here? Has my K-50 been learning things from my new (to me) K-1? See attached images.

Thanks,
Regan
Picasa was a great program, especially for photo organization. So I wouldn't say that you're cheap for using it.

06-28-2018, 06:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,682
As a user of Picasa and LViewPro v1.D2, I definitely resemble that remark Small and simple editors fit well with my way of thinking!
07-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 55
Could it be that you also use an android phone, or iPhone with a Google account contributing to your location history?

I have had location data added to photos that way before. Had me foxed until I realised that was what was happening. Given that Picasa was also Google's doing I'd guess its a 'helpful' backend feature.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
gps, k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Since when did a battery grip cost so much? UserAccessDenied Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 23 10-31-2016 06:56 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax GPS Unit O-GPS1 Hotshoe Mounted Accessory GPS Unit for Pentax Toolmaker Sold Items 3 10-08-2016 05:15 AM
WG-3 GPS - Help with using GPS function (or maybe I just need to complain...) ShawnKann Pentax Compact Cameras 3 01-08-2014 05:07 PM
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS - Faulty k-5 or GPS Unit? KansasHorizons.com Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 6 01-04-2014 02:34 PM
Since when did the 18-55mm CONTRACT!? jct us101 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 08-08-2009 11:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top