Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2018, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax customer service - my experience

I have a K50 that is about three years old with very low usage which recently started experiencing the dreaded aperture control problem. It took me a while to find out the extent of this problem through online research. I took the approach that this was a known latent defect and that Pentax should fix it under warranty even though my initial 12 months had expired. I wrote to Pentax through their online web page contact system twice and both times they ignored my request for warranty repair. I would get an auto reply saying I would hear something in two to four work days but I never heard anything. I would probably have settled for a negative response and moved on to try to repair the problem myself after watching the Youtube videos. The fact that they did not have the courtesy of a response just made me mad so I wrote a letter to their CEO in Malvern, PA outlining my negative experience with their product and their customer service. Within a week I received a not so customer friendly email from a CS rep in Canada questioning my ability to diagnose my problem or to estimate the cost of repair if I had not already sent it to their repair shop (Precision). They did, however, send a shipping label so I promptly shipped my stripped camera body to Precision with a letter advising them that I considered my problem to be a latent defect and that it should be covered under warranty. If they decided that was not the case, then they should take no action and simply return my camera. Well, much to my surprise, I received the camera back in a little over a week with the aperture problem repaired along with a system update and cleaning and no charge to me. Not sure if the technician forgot or if i was getting a little extra for my troubles but I got a new Pentax battery also. Sadly, customer service tends to be like this in so many things we buy nowadays. I would encourage anyone who has experienced this problem to do what I did and keep going up the chain of command until you get satisfaction (or at least a definitive response).

06-28-2018, 05:48 AM   #2

If you have been following some the threads posted by other members of PF it would seem that since the latest revision of the US Ricoh Imaging website that there has been a consistent lack of response to the web contact form. I suspect this is a technical problem rather than a problem with customer service. The messages could just be not being routed correctly. When people have not gotten a response from the contact form (other than the auto response) calling the toll-free number listed on the warranty card and on the warranty information page of the website resulted in prompt and courteous action.

Did Ricoh say that they had your previous contacts on file?

In the past others have had the repair covered by Ricoh out of warranty simply by politely asking. The squeaky wheel may get the grease but then you can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar. How's that for a mixed metaphor?
06-28-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's a nice mixaphor!
06-28-2018, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
Actually, given that you got your problem fixed eventually, it's a pretty good outcome. I know, my standards are low. But companies will try to avoid taking responsibility for all sorts of reasons, unless you stand your ground. Often I found that striking the balance between polite and firm to be the best way of dealing with them. Despite this I wouldn't have been too hopeful in a case like yours, but well done :-)

06-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I think this may be the first report I've ever read of a good experience with Pentax customer service. Luckily I've never needed to use it, but there are a lot of very bad stories around.
06-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax customer service has always been courteous and responsive when I have confided in them or when dealing with the repair service center (Precision).
06-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live in Malvern, PA. Is that where the CEO lives? My K-50 has the same issue and it's been suggested that I tape the contacts and just use manual lenses.

06-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
I live in Malvern, PA. Is that where the CEO lives? My K-50 has the same issue and it's been suggested that I tape the contacts and just use manual lenses.
The following address and phone number may be of help.

Ricoh USA, Inc. Regional HQ
70 Valley Stream Parkway, Malvern, PA, 19355, USA
+1 610-296-8000
06-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
a consistent lack of response to the web contact form. I suspect this is a technical problem rather than a problem with customer service. The messages could just be not being routed correctly.
There's a huge army of evil bots roaming the internet. They seek out contact forms and enter spam. For each legitimate message generated from the form, there are millions which are not. The spam filters on the recipients' end eventually determine that if an email is generated from a contact form it is spam.

You either have to email directly or pick up the phone.
06-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hman Quote
it's been suggested that I tape the contacts and just use manual lenses.
If you have it configured properly, you shouldn't have to tape anything.
06-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Contacting higher-ups at Ricoh has been the only way any of my equipment got fixed properly.
They have contract rules that do not allow it to happen quickly, but they do right by their customers in the end when they can. I just wish they cared enough to not make so many hoops a necessity in the first place, although I understand the reasons why to some degree. :-(
07-02-2018, 04:57 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think this may be the first report I've ever read of a good experience with Pentax customer service. Luckily I've never needed to use it, but there are a lot of very bad stories around.
My K-50 suffered the aperture failure issue some time back and I have to say customer service for me was excellent. I was dealing with Pentax UK however!
07-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
You either have to email directly or pick up the phone.
The email contact is well hidden on the US Ricoh site. I suspect that the latest revision of the form may have gotten it wrong. The only alternative for US users is to use the phone number, which is not listed on the contact page - you have to dig around in the Warranty section. People seem to have an aversion to using telephones for some purposes even though you will see them yakking away on their cell phones every spare minute they're not tapping away at the screen.
07-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by zero86r Quote
My K-50 suffered the aperture failure issue some time back and I have to say customer service for me was excellent. I was dealing with Pentax UK however!
Not my experience, basically said it was out of warranty and if I sent it in they would investigate but repair was likely to cost around £200, they also quoted an admin fee if I chose not to have repair and just wanted camera back.

Wouldn't even acknowledge it was a known issue.

Andy
07-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andyk17 Quote
Not my experience, basically said it was out of warranty and if I sent it in they would investigate but repair was likely to cost around £200, they also quoted an admin fee if I chose not to have repair and just wanted camera back.

Wouldn't even acknowledge it was a known issue.

Andy
See here