Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 05:03 AM   #1

Af settings

Hi everybody,

I went to a festival on Sunday night and when the sun was gone I started with problem of AF of my K30.
I usually use central point (spot) with AF-S (the most simple for the camera). So, the camera was not able to focus on a still subject 3 meters far away with still some light (settings ISO 3200, 1/50s, F3,2).

So, do you have same problems? Which AF settings do you use?

Thanks.
D.

07-30-2018, 05:11 AM   #2
pxt

Maybe is not too much light. Try find better position with shot where is more light. Try change direction to place your subject in light or use flash and check that helps.

Add light to scene

Last edited by pxt; 07-30-2018 at 05:36 AM.
07-30-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some of the newer cameras focus in much darker conditions. Going from the K30 to the KS2, I noticed a huge improvement in low light focusing
07-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Forum Member

I just had a similar thing couple of days ago, but it was just some unwanted changes in my usual settings (sometimes happens to me while being on a hike)...and second time it was a switch on my lens I must have switched while putting it in or out of my camerabag... feels often bit confusing for some moments.... luckily never was related to technical issues....

07-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ANGUS YOUNG Quote
Hi everybody,

I went to a festival on Sunday night and when the sun was gone I started with problem of AF of my K30.
I usually use central point (spot) with AF-S (the most simple for the camera). So, the camera was not able to focus on a still subject 3 meters far away with still some light (settings ISO 3200, 1/50s, F3,2).
Hi Angus,

I think an error is you pointing at a 'subject' and trying to focus … what you actually need to focus on is a clear *line* on the subject.

Backlit or low contrast conditions can make this difficult, in which case you find a proxy for your subject - the edge of an ear if that's clear against the background, closing the aperture to compensate for the depth of field.

Even better, move yourself or the subject to get better light on them. After all, finding or creating the light is what we do as photographers. We don't just accept conditions as they are, that's snapshotting.
07-31-2018, 01:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys for the answers! I have to work a little bit more on the settings and find the best for my use. To focus on a "more contrasted" thing at the same distance could be a good solution but unfortunatelly not Always applicable..