Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
Isn't the 2 second delay a bit of a wrench in your theory?
Actually, no.

The motor that moves the mirror up does not directly open/close the shutters, it only cocks the two spring-loaded shutters as the mirror goes up. The two shutters are then held ready for firing by two solenoids that are energized to hold the shutters. At the end of 2 seconds or 12 or whatever, the first solenoid de-energizes and the front curtain starts opening under the forces of it spring-loaded mechanism. Exactly one shutter speed time later, the second solenoid de-energizes and the rear curtain starts closing.

08-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My recollection is that in this mode on the k50, the mirror drops and immediately reopens while the shutter is closed then after 2 seconds the shutter is released. This behavior isn't inconsistent with what he said, they don't have to be close in time but they do have to sequentially operate the 12second in the k50 I think drops the mirror counts the time then goes back up and fires the shutter. The k-3 doesn't do that. It seems to more directly control the mirror.
I think I get it now. So you're saying the shutter is cocked(like a hammer or firing pin) and then a solenoid breaks a trigger sear and raises the curtain on a spring. I went and got my camera to prove it to myself by taking off the lens and setting it for 2sec delay and live view. That explains the mirror drop at the end as well. It's closing th shutter so the sensor's collected data can be read off into memory and stored. It also explains why these cameras can't have a proper mirror lock up. Thanks for your patience on this!
08-25-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
I think I get it now. So you're saying the shutter is cocked(like a hammer or firing pin) and then a solenoid breaks a trigger sear and raises the curtain on a spring. I went and got my camera to prove it to myself by taking off the lens and setting it for 2sec delay and live view. That explains the mirror drop at the end as well. It's closing th shutter so the sensor's collected data can be read off into memory and stored. It also explains why these cameras can't have a proper mirror lock up. Thanks for your patience on this!
No worries at all. I'm glad this helped.