Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Any way to extend 25 minute video limit on K-50?

Making videos of church services with K-50, uploaded on You Tube for members who can't attend.
Preacher often goes over 25 minutes when camera shuts down. Can re start but causes a skip in the clip.
Is there any way to override this pre set shut off feature?
Manual says its to prevent over heating, but others claim it's a legal issue as any camera that takes more than 25 minutes is considered a video cam in some areas and taxed accordingly.

08-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Over heating is just a convenient excuse. If it doesn't overheat after 20 minutes, it won't overheat after 25. It's really all about the taxes.
08-08-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As Mark has said above:
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
It's really all about the taxes.
In short, no, you can't get a longer recording than 25 minutes. There is, of course, nothing stopping you stopping a recording at a natural break in the service and starting a second recording and editing it together using appropriate video editing software afterwards.

Read more about the problem and the real reasons for it here:
Pentax K-1, K-3, K-01 Video Limitations? - PentaxForums.com
And:
K3 video recording only 25 minutes - PentaxForums.com
08-08-2018, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Jaque Quote
Making videos of church services with K-50, uploaded on You Tube for members who can't attend.
Preacher often goes over 25 minutes when camera shuts down. Can re start but causes a skip in the clip.
Manual says its to prevent over heating, but others claim it's a legal issue as any camera that takes more than 25 minutes is considered a video cam in some areas and taxed accordingly.
Consider a used Panasonic GH4. It's a four year old design, quite affordable used, far better video than any Pentax, records 4K as well as 1080, and has unlimited record time.

08-09-2018, 02:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somehow cameras that record video longer than that are considered video cameras in the EU and are taxed differently, I think?

Best solution (other than getting a different camera) is just to stop and restart the video recording and then as Mark J says, splice it together after the fact.
08-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Pluto Trigger has a feature claiming to "Enable your camera to record video without a 30 minute limit. The video recording will be restarted when the 30 minute limit is reached." I have not tested this with my K-50 but it is a possible solution. May be a short break where is restarts the timer but as mentioned above, editing in post could splice around a short gap.

One other suggestion - use a separate mic and audio recorder like the Zoom series. I use the camera built-in audio, which is okay but not great, as a reference track to sync the replacement audio from my Zoom/shotgun mic combo. Since the Zoom will record as long as battery and memory last, you will have "clean" audio and can do the video magic at any needed splices.

Pluto Trigger - A versatile smart camera remote

Other features of the Pluto Trigger show great promise and seem to work well with my camera. If I test the video recording limit issue, I will update. Good luck and good video!
08-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Jaque Quote
Is there a reason other than cost for not getting an actual video camera?