Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #1

K30 bought used has no info displayed in viewfinder

I am hoping someone can help me out.

I just purchased a used K30 in great physical condition that does not display any information in the viewfinder. No aperture, shutterspeed, etc in the bottom black area of the viewfinder when you push the shutter down half way. Otherwise takes pictures just fine and rear LCD works fine.

I have a K100d for many years and love it, I was so excited to move up to the K30 but now I am very upset. I read the manual and played around with the settings, took battery out a few times, etc and the viewfinder never displays anything.

Am I missing something here? Some setting to turn it on, or is it just broken? I purchased it on ebay in excellent condition, so it can be returned. But I just wish it worked since it is otherwise a great camera.

thank you.

08-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe something here will help:

Turning off the K-50/K-30 LCD display. - PentaxForums.com
08-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerdod Quote
Am I missing something here?
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

If you get no viewfinder display, it means that part of the camera is not working. While parts are available to attempt repair, it is hard to say where the actual fault lies and what the expense might be to get it fixed. If it were me, I would negotiate a return with the seller for full credit including shipping both ways.

Steve
08-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you, my gut feeling was something is wrong/broken. I think you have confirmed that.

I already sent a message to the seller on ebay asking if they were aware of it. I guess if you are using it as a point and shoot, or using the back live view LCD it wouldnt matter. I just cant imagine living with an SLR without any info displayed in the viewfinder.

08-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerdod Quote
Thank you, my gut feeling was something is wrong/broken. I think you have confirmed that.

I already sent a message to the seller on ebay asking if they were aware of it. I guess if you are using it as a point and shoot, or using the back live view LCD it wouldnt matter. I just cant imagine living with an SLR without any info displayed in the viewfinder.
Sounds like they need to make it right. If that isn't disclosed in their eBay listing then you should ask for a refund.
08-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would be sending that back for a refund. You never know what caused the malfunction, but if it was caused by abuse, there may be other problems that arise in the near future.