Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One of my K50s is flashing a red light in the front....

....and having issues with auto-focus. Does anyone know what the flashing red light in the front (where you hold it) means? I've tries multiple lenses and settings and it just keeps doing it. I think the two things are related as they started at the same time, but that's Supposition.

Thank You!

Jennifer

08-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jennifer, from the user manual image, this is your self-timer/remote control indicator. Check your drive mode function to reset. Good luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by pjv; 08-19-2018 at 02:09 AM.
08-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #3

I believe you might have turned on the fire shutter with trigger.
08-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree if you have it on "Remote" drive mode selected it will flash to indicate that its ready to receive infrared remote signal.

08-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Agree with what others have already said. I'm a current owner of both K-50 and also an infrared remote. That red light is blinking when the drive mode is set to remote.
08-19-2018, 04:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

But will typically turn off automatically if it doesn’t receive a signal in a given time - at least that’s what the K-3II does.
08-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all! On thing that's weird. at the same time this started, my auto-focus went weird, and based on your feedback I was able to get the red light to stop, but the auto-focus is still tweaky.....It works when I'm in preview mode, so when I'm using the screen, but if I don't use the screen and only the viewfinder, it won't auto-focus. I've tried multiple lenses, including a couple of pentax lenses (the kit lens and a 50-200MM). Any thoughts or ideas? And thank you again for taking the time to respond!! ~Jen
08-23-2018, 04:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good that you got the IR thing figured out but that focus issue is a tough one. I just looked through the menus on my k-50 to see if any function custom or otherwise could do that. I'd suggest trying a cold start by leaving out the battery for a minute first and then reset on the 4th page of the third tab(the wrench one). It sounds like it might have gotten corrupted by static or something.

---------- Post added 08-23-18 at 04:36 AM ----------

The fact that it put itself into remote trigger mode also supports the interference theory, although that "could" happen if it were on in the bag and some cheeky lens got bored.

08-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Blues Hawk

I'm going to give that a shot Blues, thank you
09-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the issue keeps presenting itself, then you might want to send it in with your most used lens for adjustment. The autofocus system that works with the split mirror and matte screen might gotten out of alignment. It can happen if the camera has been shaken like on an off-road trip, a fall or just plain hot-cold temperature cycles.